Cervelo R3 - sizing? components?

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking at picking up a 2013 or 2014 frameset. Just interested in thoughts on geometry and sizing - I'm 5'11" and will prob go for a 56. It looks kind of squarely in between aggressive and upright.

Also interested in what people pair it up with. I'm looking at cannibalizing my current bike to build up with Mavic R-Sys premium wheels, Deda zero bars and Sram force.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Size sounds right. Build sounds like you already know what you want.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    56 sounds spot on. My R3 is more relaxed than my TCR.. some days it feels just spot on, other days a little lackluster. (maybe that's down to my lack of ability) :wink:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    As is so often said you need to go and try/get a fitting.

That said I am 6 feet and ride a 56, but my son in law is 5'11" and while he had a 56 has now opted for a 54 and much prefers it, now fully fitted on the new frame he is putting in some excellent racing results (not that he was slow on the previous frame!).
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Size wise a 56cm hold be spot on for you. I'm 6ft and ride a 56cm. I replaced a Felt F3 with one and it's such a better feeling bike (totally different geometry to be fair). If you struggle to find a frame set let me know as I may be tempted to sell (2013 silver model) as I have an ever increasing titanium scratch that may need scratching over the winter months.
  • napoleond
    Mr Dog wrote:
    56 sounds spot on. My R3 is more relaxed than my TCR.. some days it feels just spot on, other days a little lackluster. (maybe that's down to my lack of ability) :wink:

Lacklustre is a good word to describe the R3. I preferred riding my Ribble winter bike so sold mine. Fortunately the same day I sold it my dream bike became available :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • sopworth wrote:
    Size wise a 56cm hold be spot on for you. I'm 6ft and ride a 56cm. I replaced a Felt F3 with one and it's such a better feeling bike (totally different geometry to be fair). If you struggle to find a frame set let me know as I may be tempted to sell (2013 silver model) as I have an ever increasing titanium scratch that may need scratching over the winter months.
    Interesting as I have an Enigma Excel frame I'm looking to sell - do PM if you're tempted, can send full geometry.
  • R3 lacklustre?? Don't put me off. Why so?
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Don't get me wrong I quite like it, but it has a relaxed feel... similar the other half's Defy. I can only really compare it to the Giant's in the house. The TCR is a race bike in every sense whilst the R3 feels more upright. Come the summer I'll lash on a longer stem and have some 38mm tubs in an attempt to spice her up a little :wink:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • napoleond
    I found mine a bit, well, meh. It didn't inspire me at all. To the point where I preferred going out on my Ribble winter bike!
    I think it's the 'magnolia' of the bike world.

R3131212.jpg

The same kit on my Colnago extreme power (albeit with an SR chainset) is sublime.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    bartman100 wrote:
    sopworth wrote:
    Interesting as I have an Enigma Excel frame I'm looking to sell - do PM if you're tempted, can send full geometry.
    If I go titanium I'm looking at a custom build job. A friend of mine has just been through the process and has the most delightful bike now. Thanks for the offer though.
    Regarding the R3 remarks - I'm genuinely very happy with mine. I agree with the point about it not being the best looking machine but the ride is great. I had an S1 not long back (now to a good home to a BR member) and would easily choose the R3 over that.
  • napoleond
    I used to have an s2 before the R3. Wish I'd kept the S2 :/
    ABCC Cycling Coach