Looking for new frame is Cube good?

giliador
giliador Posts: 5
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello Everyone
At the moment I'm using Kona dirt jump frame with Marzocchi 180mm forks which served me well, however frame is starting to look horrible and need replacing, I'm looking for new MTB/light down hill frame. I noticed that one shop sell Cube frames for £81 is this good choice? I love the look of Cube bikes but not sure about the quality and durability of the frames, I don't to any heavy down hill but neither I do casual cross country.
Any recommendations for budged frame?

Other question: Is it simple to replace frame in a sens will I need to buy more components or it simply strip out everything and put on new one?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What model of Cube is it?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're using 180mm forks it would have to be eother a Hanzz or Two15 frame but neither is likely to be for sell for much less than £500
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    We need to know the age and model of both the Kona and the Cube before we can advise what parts can be kept and what will need to be replaced. Standards change every few years, so impossible to say otherwise.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Where've you seen the cube frame? The only reason I ask is I'd seem some (potentially) fake cube frames on a Chinese site a few months back.
  • the website that sell cube frames is called http://www.bike-discount.de

I was looking to buy Race One 29 or Aim 29 Pro Frame £102 inc postage by DHL

I'm not sure what is the name of the kona, it's pretty old frame, I have avid disc brakes and shimano deore + spd if that help
    my bike is at my sisters house will check on weekend.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Bike Discount are ace, however I'd expect your older bike has a different wheel size and the forks definitely won't be suitable for that frame. There aren't many frames out there (hardtails) designed for a 180mm fork.
  • Will need to double check I think wheels are 26 and same with the forks I know they are much longer so 180 was just guess.

So it's between Analog 26 and Attention 26,
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As both of those are for 100mm forks, you need to check the length of yours.
    Neither however are DH frames, light or not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • As a Cube owner, I've always felt that the value in the Cube bikes was is the parts that they put on it.
    I think that they are competitively priced, but I wouldn't build up a bike from a Cube frame.
    I don't know about their longer travel bikes, but I don't think that the ride is particularly inspiring or exciting.
    They are great bikes for long rides and are great XC bikes, but for trail riding I would go for something else.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If you fit a 180mm fork to a 100mm frame, not only will the important angles all be wrong and make the bike ride like shite, but the headtube won't be designed to withstand the forces and will probably break.

So in this case I'd just avoid the cheap Cubes altogether. Instead I would probably look to buy a used frame designed around a longer travel fork. Keep in mind you can always get the Marz forks reduced to 140,150 or 160mm, which then puts you in AM/long travel trail bike territory, which it sounds like is what you're after.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    180mm would be very long for a dirt/jump bike anyway which tend to have forks around the 100-120mm mark, to be honest I can't see them being over 150mm at most.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • you are right, forks are 130mm z.1 and the frame is 15" Kona Ob which is slightly too small, any recommendation, I was looking at Merida Matts Trail 300 probably will go second hand route.