Canyon Endurace CF

Comments

• mrtn
    mrtn Posts: 24
    Danlw88 wrote:

I was qouted as a Large by the pps system but qualified for this size by just 1cm in my leg length. I was advised by the staff to go for a Meduim and put on a 110mm stem.

Did they say any reason to choose smaller one? Would be interesting to know. I have one in L size, but have had second thoughts about whether size smaller would have been wiser choice.
  • mrtn wrote:
    Danlw88 wrote:

I was qouted as a Large by the pps system but qualified for this size by just 1cm in my leg length. I was advised by the staff to go for a Meduim and put on a 110mm stem.

Did they say any reason to choose smaller one? Would be interesting to know. I have one in L size, but have had second thoughts about whether size smaller would have been wiser choice.

They recommend the medium as I was looking for a lower / racier front end and it was closer to my previous bike geometry. They said that I was in the grey area between M and L

The seat tube / leg length is spot on but I haven't got much room in the top tube and So feel a little squashed in. An extra cm on my stem may help this issue as I said so I may try that before I consider other options.

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to consider a frame set swap if we were to decide it would benefit us both? - I'm not suggesting it immediately but it would be reassuring to know that this may be an option.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Danlw88 wrote:
    Hi,

I recieved mine last week and have 9.0 Pro - Campag groupset

After mulling the size for a while before ordering I went for a Meduim.
    I was qouted as a Large by the pps system but qualified for this size by just 1cm in my leg length. I was advised by the staff to go for a Meduim and put on a 110mm stem. It kind of feels ok but I feel now I should have got the large. The nature of this bike is to put you in a sit up sportive position so trying to replicate a race position this bike isnt too feasable. I am going to try put on a 120mm stem and a pair of 440mm bars to help put me in a more comfortable position.
    However, if this does not work, I would be willing to cut my losses and sell the bike at a reduced price and order a new size L. (or even a different bike.)

Anyone else have this same predicament in other sizes? if anyone has a size Large frameset and have made a similiar mistake to myself, I would be willing to consider a swap my Meduim if thats what you require.

With that said, it is a really nice bike to look at and ride regardless of the preference to the position I am in. If you get your sizing right and tweak it to your preferences I dont think there are many as good look bikes out there than this!
    Would you not sooner return the bike to Canyon for a swap rather than selling on at a loss? Canyon do allow for a return within 28 days IIRC providing the bike has only been test ridden in the dry. Would you qualify?
    If this provision wasn't available I would have been much more hesitant about buying my Canyon
  • [/quote]
    Would you not sooner return the bike to Canyon for a swap rather than selling on at a loss? Canyon do allow for a return within 28 days IIRC providing the bike has only been test ridden in the dry. Would you qualify?
    If this provision wasn't available I would have been much more hesitant about buying my Canyon[/quote]

I have done two rides to talking about 40 miles so I'm not sure canyon would be willing to exchange it. Also I do like the fact the front end is lower so I am keen to try it with a 120mm stem and 440mm bars. Might change the comfort of the bike which I wouldn't know untill I try.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Im surprised you didnt do measurements before purchasing, but the correct handlebar length can make a difference instead of feeling more cramped in your riding stance.

My old bike was a 430, and after my bike fit i was told I needed a 440. So I made sure that this was mimicked on the Canyon. My stem is 110, I think 120 would have been more aggressive riding style and if I wanted that I would have simply bought the Ultimate instead.

But given this is my commuting and all weather bike I wasnt too fussed. One thing that i do find a little annoying is that even though it is stealth black, is after riding in the rain, if you leave it to dry the dirt stands out like a sore thumb :D

So I tend to wipe down the frame and wheels right away, but maybe I shouldnt care so much as it is meant to be the all weather bike :)

Really enjoying it and finding I can push my limits without trying that hard. Ive broken all previous PR's and Im not giving it my all.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • smbm
    smbm Posts: 37
    I'm about to press the button on one of these. Probably a small 105 variant.

Currently weigh ~88kg so a little worried about seatpost slip. Hoping to lose weight in the medium term, but it will probably come off fairly slowly.

Does anyone of a similar weight ride one with the VCLS 2 seatpost?

How is everyone finding it so far? Most of the posts seem pretty positive

I'm coming from a Giant Defy 5 so is likely to radically better (I hope at least).

Cheers.
  • redcup
    redcup Posts: 7
    smbm wrote:
    I'm about to press the button on one of these. Probably a small 105 variant.

Currently weigh ~88kg so a little worried about seatpost slip. Hoping to lose weight in the medium term, but it will probably come off fairly slowly.

Does anyone of a similar weight ride one with the VCLS 2 seatpost?

My small 105 Endurace arrived today. I weigh 89Kg at present - like you I'm a bit concerned about seatpost slip.

I will let you know how it goes once I get a chance to put it together and take it out for a ride.

I came from a 2010 Defy 4 (similar to the more recent Defy 5s), so I'm guessing that my impressions will be helpful for you to make a decision.
  • nollag
    nollag Posts: 13
    I only had one spin so far as im on long hours at work atm and the spin was on rough roads but had no slippage yet and im 107kg,i found the bike very fast to accelerate and feels very light,its also a dream to look at
  • mlgt
    No slip for me and I am bang on 80kg at the mo.

Ive also fitted mudguards on the bike - SKS raceguard longs which is perfect for my winter bike.
    I also had my first puncture in the rain last night :(
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • mlgt wrote:
    No slip for me and I am bang on 80kg at the mo.

Ive also fitted mudguards on the bike - SKS raceguard longs which is perfect for my winter bike.
    I also had my first puncture in the rain last night :(

As my 8.0 has now arrived (at the second time of asking) I also find myself in the hunt for a set of mudguards.
    Were the SKS guards easy to install and how easy would they be to take off/re-install?

I'd also be very interested if anybody has experience with fitting any other kinds of mudguard to the Endurace (there's nothing like an impromptu group test).

All the best,
    Martin
  • mlgt
    Yes the longs are really easy, but i suffered a puncture on the way home yesterday and I finally got round to putting them on.

Instructions do make sense but I had a quick look and then decided to put the mudguards together thus working out which was front and which was rear. put the arch into both and saw that you simply slide it into the groove.

Next step was to figure out what the clips do, really simple. Undo the brake bolts a bit and then slide the clips and retighten.

The only thing that took longest to do was to adjust the clips that clip onto the QR. But I did tinker with the clearance a bit and as said all in all took around 15-20 mins to do. Overall it took me 1 hr as I had to redo new inner tube, clean the bike from all the muck on my commute home. Cleaned chain and regreased and gave the bike a spray wax to make it look nice and clean again.

I havent tried to unclick the mudguards in full. As it was forecast rain for the next few days so Ive left them on, but they seem easy to unclip out. The mudguards were black so suits the paintwork and doesnt look unsightly.

£30 was a good upgrade in my opinion (providing they dont break as Ive read on some places)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • PeeeJ
    PeeeJ Posts: 1
    Hello, I thought I'd post as I found this thread useful when deciding on my Canyon- thanks everyone. I've just taken delivery of my Endurace AL (couldn't really stretch to the carbon one), with 105. I'm assuming the geometries are similar for the aluminum and carbon versions, so hope this helps a similarly dimensioned person with sizing questions...

I'm 187cm tall, with an inseam of 88/89cm and what I consider to be normal length arms. This puts me on a Large, according to Canyon's measuring thing, and that's what I ordered. Having been for a ride this afternoon, pulling over and adjusting things here and there, I'm really pleased with the fit of the large. I was concerned that I maybe should have gone for the XL (with the L/XL boundary being at an inseam of 90cm) - I thought I might have to put the seat too high on the L, leading to an aggressive drop to the bars. But that's not the case. I've ended up with nearly all the spacers above the stem and it seems bang on to the comfort/performance hybrid they sell it as. I think I might experiment with a 120mm stem (110mm one is standard) at some point, but the frame is fine for me.

Whilst lacking some of the finesse of the carbon frame (I think that seat tube/top tube/seat stay joint looks great on the carbon- nearly convinced me to find the money somehow), the bike looks great, nicer that I expected. I'm quite taken with the 105 chainset too, very Batman.

A word of warning if you do get the aluminum one... watch you don't over-tighten the headset. I managed to shear the plastic top cap in two applying what I thought was very little force. I've never used a plastic top cap before and might have always been over-tightening alloy ones, I don't know. But it seemed to happen very easily. Canyon, for all the internet talk of bad service, have been very good about it- they're posting a replacement for free.
  • I'm 196cm with an inseam of 94cm. The recommendation for this is 2XL but only just (drop a cm from the inseam and it's XL).
    With the overlap between sizes and my measurements being so borderline I agonised for some time before going for the 2XL (for the extra 1cm in the wheelbase and 18mm in the stack).
    The seatpost is at its maximum insertion and I'm debating whether it would be better with the shorter stem and narrower bar of the XL size but other than that I'm pleased with the fit.
  • redcup
    redcup wrote:
    My small 105 Endurace arrived today. I weigh 89Kg at present - like you I'm a bit concerned about seatpost slip.

I will let you know how it goes once I get a chance to put it together and take it out for a ride.

Went out for a shakedown ride today.

Sizing is spot on (Small Frame, 1.68m, 79cm inseam).

No seatpost slip at all.

Noticeably more comfortable than my Defy 4 over the bumps and noticeably quicker :D
  • Hi all,

I'm really keen on buying the Endurace from Canyon. However, I'm still unsure of what size to get. I'm 170cm with an inseam of 79cm, so I am right on the edge of XS and S.
    I've already contacted Canyon with my concern but the only advise I got was that a smaller bike feels more sportive.
    But some comment here on the board stated, that for the S size the smalles possible seat hight is 720mm (50mm saddle + 160mm lowest possible saddle post position + 510mm seat tube length). Following the 0.885-rule, this is to high for my inseam. Now I'm very hesitant and unsure about what size to get.

Any advise? Has anyone with similar proportions got the XS or S size? Any recommendation?
    Thanks for your help.
  • redcup
    tobes85 wrote:
    Any advise? Has anyone with similar proportions got the XS or S size? Any recommendation?
    Thanks for your help.

I am 1.68 with a 79cm inseam - right on the border between XS and S, like you.

I ordered a Small as i didn't want the front end to be too low as I am not as young as i used to be.

With the seat post on "Maximum Insertion" the saddle is approximately 15mm higher than I have it on my Giant Defy. I thought this may cause a problem, but after my first 12 mile "shakedown" ride i didn't notice any problems. If i get problems I will either have to lower the seatpost past maximum insertion (I don't know if this will damage the post or the framer, or if it just reduces how effective the damping mechanism is?) , or change to a new post, but I guess I won't know this until i have been on a ride that is significantly longer.

I hope this helps a bit.
  • smbm
    Cheers for the updates redcup.

I pushed the button on a small 8.0 last Friday. Pretty excited now.

I have similar dimensions: 1.7m, 80cm inseam so am hoping small is just right for me too.

What size was your Defy?

Also what's the Canyon's standover situation like? Plenty of clearance?
  • Thx redcup for the quick reply and sharing your experience.
    What is your actual saddle height over bottom bracket?
    Does the bike feel too big for you in any way?

Has anyone with similar proportions gone for the XS?
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I'm 196cm with an inseam of 94cm. The recommendation for this is 2XL but only just (drop a cm from the inseam and it's XL).
    With the overlap between sizes and my measurements being so borderline I agonised for some time before going for the 2XL (for the extra 1cm in the wheelbase and 18mm in the stack).
    The seatpost is at its maximum insertion and I'm debating whether it would be better with the shorter stem and narrower bar of the XL size but other than that I'm pleased with the fit.

Ahh, somebody a similar height to me. Do you find you can get low enough at the front end with the 2XL?

Ive got a Canyon Roadlite 2XL and i think the geometry is similar, i feel that with a few more months of flexibility/core training i could get lower.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • redcup
    tobes85 wrote:
    Thx redcup for the quick reply and sharing your experience.
    What is your actual saddle height over bottom bracket?
    Does the bike feel too big for you in any way?

Has anyone with similar proportions gone for the XS?

I attach some photos with measurements - you should be able to see the markings of measurements on the photos and make compensation from where my son wasn't holding the tape measure quite right! I will not give you the measurements myself as different photos have different measurements.

Vertical.jpg
    AlongTube.jpg

Does it feel too big - no.
    But I am coming from a Medium Giant Defy which definitely is too big. I run that with a 70mm stem to get the fit close enough. By comparison, a Small Defy I test rode did feel a little cramped. I would be happier knowing I could drop the saddle by another 15mm in the future if necessary, but at the moment I don't think I need to.
  • Wow, thx redcup for your effort and the phots. That helps me alot.
    I will now compare to measurements of my current bike.
    Unfortunately the S sized Endurace CF 9.0 was sold out yesterday.
    Now I will have to wait till the end of the year :(
  • Received my bike the other day but just wondering if I got the sizing right. I've not had a chance as yet to go for a test ride as my back went 'ping' the other day and I've been in a fair bit of pain ever since!

Just to go over the measurements as per the system on the Canyon site:
    Height: 178cm
    Weight: 82kg
    Inseam: Between 82cm and 84cm (depending on how tight I do this!!)
    Torso: 68cm
    Shoulder: 46cm
    Arm length: 69cm

This then puts me on the edge of the Small or Medium (I always seem to be in between sizes for everything). I ordered a Medium as I thought I might be a bit cramped on the Small but not sure this is correct. As I've not seen the Small I find it very difficult to judge between the two size.

I didn't know whether I should get a professional bike-fit to see what that comes out with.

Any input would be very much appreciated.
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    Medium!
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    greencode wrote:
    Received my bike the other day but just wondering if I got the sizing right. I've not had a chance as yet to go for a test ride as my back went 'ping' the other day and I've been in a fair bit of pain ever since!

Just to go over the measurements as per the system on the Canyon site:
    Height: 178cm
    Weight: 82kg
    Inseam: Between 82cm and 84cm (depending on how tight I do this!!)
    Torso: 68cm
    Shoulder: 46cm
    Arm length: 69cm

This then puts me on the edge of the Small or Medium (I always seem to be in between sizes for everything). I ordered a Medium as I thought I might be a bit cramped on the Small but not sure this is correct. As I've not seen the Small I find it very difficult to judge between the two size.

I didn't know whether I should get a professional bike-fit to see what that comes out with.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

I'm pretty much the same measurements, maybe a bit taller and lighter.

Get the small. I have a 56 caad8 which feels too big. Comparing the geometry the small endurace seems right and is what Canyon says I should get.

It's easier to make a small bike size up than the reverse.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • TheHound wrote:
    I'm pretty much the same measurements, maybe a bit taller and lighter. Get the small. I have a 56 caad8 which feels too big. Comparing the geometry the small endurace seems right and is what Canyon says I should get. It's easier to make a small bike size up than the reverse.

The 56cm CAAD is quite a bit bigger than the 56cm Canyon though so I can see why that would feel too big for you. Ideally I don't want to have to send it back only to get the Small and find out that that's not right. I'm thinking a bike fit would be the best bet.

Rutland Cycling (very close to where I live) do a basic bike fit for £50 and advanced fit for £120.

UPDATE: Actually the more I look at the geometry of the Small and Medium the more I think I've made the right choice. I think I would be a little too hunched up on the Small and crouching down more than my lower back would appreciate. Just need for my back to get better now so I can actually see if I'm right - let's hope so, otherwise it's a pretty expensive mistake :-o
  • Miles253 wrote:
    I'm 196cm with an inseam of 94cm. The recommendation for this is 2XL but only just (drop a cm from the inseam and it's XL).

Ahh, somebody a similar height to me. Do you find you can get low enough at the front end with the 2XL?

Ive got a Canyon Roadlite 2XL and i think the geometry is similar, i feel that with a few more months of flexibility/core training i could get lower.

As currently set up (with the seatpost about 1mm from maximum insertion) then I have a drop of approximately 45mm from the top of the saddle to the top of the handlebar.
    That measurement is with all the spacers beneath the bar so could easily be increased to ~70mm but beyond that would need a stem change.

I guess as drops go that is slightly small but I find that I can get low enough for me although having said that:
    1. The Endurace has replaced a 2004 Giant touring bike that had a similarly high front end.
    2. I'm so naturally inflexible that it once reduced a physiotherapist to laughter (it was a polite chuckle rather than full blown gales but I'm still not sure about the professionalism of that one).

So personally, I find the fit is comfortable but I can see that with the 2XL I am right on the borderline between the frame being just right and too big.

(Sorry about the delay in replying but for some reason I've had problems posting the last couple of days).
  • smbm
    I'm going to have to send my Small 8.0 back to swap for an XS.

With the seatpost at maximum insertion I am ~25mm to high compared to my previous bike. Have got physio issues that mean I have to run my saddle a smidge lower then usual for someone of my height. Hopefully will eventually be able to raise the saddle back up but for the moment XS with a long stem it is.

Hopefully the swap will all take place pretty smoothly.
  • With the seatpost at maximum insertion What is your actual saddle height over bottom bracket in cm´s?
  • smbm
    At maximum insertion the saddle is 70cm over the BB.

I need 67.9cm at the moment and the highest I run is about 69cm.

This is down to the VCLS 2 seatpost needing around 16cm exposed.
  • smbm
    I'm a little worried that the front end of the XS will be too low, but I think it's easier to compensate for a smaller frame than one that is too large. So I'm pretty much 90% certain I'm going to make the switch.

It's either that or run a different seatpost, then I will lose one of the main selling points of the bike, comfort.

Anyone got any insight? Coming from a Small Giant Defy, saddle height 67.9, cranks 170 (165 on the XS Endurace!) and an 80mm stem.