Nettle stings

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited December 2014 in MTB beginners
I was going down a trail earlier today and ended up in some nettle bushes... twice.

Annoyingly they seemed to grow by gates and have overgrown into the track, so I couldn't avoid them.

My leg still hurts now.

Is there any remedy to get rid of the sting?
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Take some MTFU, works wonders.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I don't notice them at the time - only when I've stopped pedalling.
    So I just keep pedalling.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I fell into a nettle/thorn bush once, was picking tiny thorns out of my arm for a few days - was awesome, finally had something interesting to do at work!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Man up and get used to it.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Rub them with docked leaves. wheres there's nettles there are usually dockens
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I find the tingling quite erotic.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You'll get used/immune to them in time. Only time to worry is when you can't see the trail any more and you come out the other side with your bike wearing a ghillie suit
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Wherever there's nettles there's Dock leaves.Dock leaves neutralise the sting.Thy look like this:-
    dock_leaves1.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The end of the spines on the nettles produce an acid, doc leaves contain an Alkali, but you do have to rub it in quite aggressively or the juice from the crushed doc leave won't get into where the nettle left it's acid, if you don't crush and rub aggressively it's just a placebo!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Man up and stop being a pussy...
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you can't handle a nettle sting or two you're not going to like the inevitable broken collar bone.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The end of the spines on the nettles produce an acid, doc leaves contain an Alkali, but you do have to rub it in quite aggressively or the juice from the crushed doc leave won't get into where the nettle left it's acid, if you don't crush and rub aggressively it's just a placebo!

And the more you rub the more spines you push in. I find it does ware off until you get in the shower, then it starts all over again.

A couple of years ago I got stung real bad, all over my hands, arms & lower legs, the stinging just wouldn't go away, it even woke me up at 2am, I searched the net and tried everything I found, doc leaves, camomile lotion, cello tape (to lift the spines out), nothing worked.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You'll get used/immune to them in time. Only time to worry is when you can't see the trail any more and you come out the other side with your bike wearing a ghillie suit

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    ben@31 wrote:
    My leg still hurts now.

Is there any remedy to get rid of the sting?

Trousers?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I find not being a pussy is the best remedy. They are a mild irritant for a short period of time I find a ride in the uk that involves nettle stings usually involves thorns having torn enough cuts into me that the nettle pain is barely noticeable.

We dont have nettle in BC though so its just rocks and stuff that hurt me now.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Once fell off a rock climb wearing short sleeved t-shirt and shorts & rolled right down a 20' slope covered in nettles. It was sore but not that sore.
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    Take a hayfever pill, anti histamine, works well and almost instantly.
    I found out the hard way.
    and if you dont like the broken collar bone then you will hate the dislocated shoulder!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    2x10 wrote:
    and if you dont like the broken collar bone then you will hate the dislocated shoulder!!

I found the broken collar bone much worse. At least the dislocation heals up quickly and is pain free fairly soon. My collar bone still hurt like a bitch three weeks later.
    Broken ribs were particularly unpleasant as well.
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    I suppose its how your built and how you fall, my dislocation was 3 months off work, an operation and two more months off, guess I tore some other bits up as well. full recovery though but ohh man, those nettle stings smart!!
    :D
  • MrJames
    MrJames Posts: 24
    2x10 wrote:
    I suppose its how your built and how you fall, my dislocation was 3 months off work, an operation and two more months off, guess I tore some other bits up as well. full recovery though but ohh man, those nettle stings smart!!
    :D

I finally got the ok to start easing back into riding earlier after dislocating my right shoulder... Never been so happy! Only had one day off work and been off riding for 5 weeks, I never realised how horrible it would be not being able to ride.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Nettle, brambles, Gorse. You get used to them pretty quick. Ive taken to pulls thorns an Gorse spines out my hands and arms at work. keeps people away, tweezers are handy too.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    2x10 wrote:
    Take a hayfever pill, anti histamine, works well and almost instantly.
    I found out the hard way.

Cyanide provides fast relief too. If you don't like dislocated shoulder then you will hate disembowelment by a hyena. Esp if it has bad breath.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • I kind of like the tingling :D
  • The Rookie
    How many old threads do you intend to drag out their graves?
  • M9DBO
    M9DBO Posts: 175
    The Rookie wrote:
    How many old threads do you intend to drag out their graves?

Great idea...
    I am the Orange stereotype and loving it.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Get your mummy to wrap you up in bubble wrap.

Cb8DR2.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How hard did you search for a thread to post a picture of yourself?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    cooldad wrote:
    How hard did you search for a thread to post a picture of yourself?

Me? I don't wear sandals.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn