Bike Fit - Saddle Height

Sutton_Rider
Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
We are told by the bike fit experts that the correct height for a saddle would give an angle at the knee of between 25 and 30 degrees with the pedal at 6 o'clock. Fair enough, but what would be the result on the back, legs and knees if that angle was say 15 or 45 degrees. I should add I'm not interested in the last drop of power, I'm not an F1 racing car more a family saloon, my concern is comfort.

Comments

• cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited October 2014
    At the end of the day I would use these stats as a guideline, tailor these to your comfort, listen to your body as you ride, dont be afraid to adjust it as you see fit.
  • I agree Cadseen that's what I intend to do, but to help decide up or down I wondered how legs etc would be effected
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you feel pain discomfort in the back of the knees your too high. If the front, too low.
    Have a look at Steve Hogg's website for some good guidance.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    Ive adjusted my position a number of times over the years but find i am very tollerant of changes with no ill effects, however, others seem to be more effected so its really a personal thing how you much if at all you are effected. My only comment would be not to overstretch and be to high. Safer to be a bit lower than to high.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    Hi

I just posted this in road general, you might want to watch for the replies and give it a go to see how you get on

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12993722

ps, I agree with NapoleonD - Steve Hogg and saddle height or bike fit is worth googling. I've been following hs stuff for years.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    but what would be the result on the back, legs and knees if that angle was say 15 or 45 degrees.

With an overly 'straight leg' at the bottom of the stroke the muscles can't work very well because the 'direction of pull' for the muscle is inefficient for the 'direction of movement' of the foot.

With an overly 'bent leg' at the bottom the most potential of the muscle strength hasn't been used. And it would (might?) interfere with breathing at the top of the stroke due to an overly high upper leg position.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA