Lacking confidence

Red.Devil.Ghost
Red.Devil.Ghost Posts: 185
edited October 2014 in MTB general
I haven't been out and done any actual MTB riding in ages - Winter 2013 I was living in Bournemouth and did a little off road stuff there, but not mountains. The last time I did anything like that would have been in Germany in summer 2012 I think.The only thing I have done recently was NCN Route 51, nice and flat in to Bedford. A bit of a challenge for a full sue MTB but I just about made it!

I left the Army last year and have done no fitness whatsoever and now that is at an all time low, which doesn't help. But for some reason, I have no confidence that I can do anything much of a challenge at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I was never the most skilful anyway, and I'm not a huge DH monster or anything. I could never do tricks and the like either, but I'm not too bothered about that.

It doesn't help I have no one to go with either. I don't know a lot of people locally (I live near Bedford). My gf is not interested in MTB, my mates would rather cycle canal paths and my brother prefers roads. I do have one mate who has said about doing the South Downs Way, but he refuses to spend any money on a bike and has never done MTB before so doesn't really have the skills or inclination to learn.

I am sure my lack of fitness is a major factor in the lack of confidence, and not actually having ridden - I know it's a case of just getting out there. I don't really know why I stopped going out - I just got really lazy I think.

Does any know of any really good places not too far from Bedford to go? I know there is Chicksands and Woburn, but other than that not really sure. Also, I would rather not have to pay for the privilege as I really need to save some money - hence a reason to get back into cycling (I want to start cycling to work as well but will get a separate Hybrid for that) I haven't been in the area and I will be doing some research into it today (after going out for a run). Confidence inspiring places would be a good start as well. I really want to get back into this and make use of my bike which is far more capable than I.

Thanks.

Comments

• Also, my gf works shifts and is often at work when I get home from work, until around 10. I would like to find somewhere I can drive to, do a bit of night cycling, and get back in time to pick her up from work, so within an hour or so of Sandy really).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whole section on routes, rides etc here
    viewforum.php?f=40067

I've met loads of people via the forum (most of the people I ride with regularly).

The Chilterns don't seem very far away. There are a couple of people on London Calling - link in my sig from that area.

Post stuff up and see what happens.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Confidence comes from competence and that takes time. Take it easy, going out regularly and don't try anything you are not comfortable with.
    Watch videos and if you can afford it try and take some lessons.

Having taken up MTBing at a later stage in my life and only having the time to go out once every week at best, I am surprised at how much I can competently and confidently manage.

This is a sport/hobby that offers something for almost all skill levels and as long as you are enjoying what you are doing don't give yourself a hard time.

Most people on this forum are not that judgemental and the same is true out on the track. We all have to start somewhere.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Festerfeet wrote:
    Confidence comes from competence

Not always. I'm incompetent but quite confident.
    Suffering bruised ribs and a broken finger at the moment.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The best way to gain confidence is to ride with someone who can assess your competence and ride at the pace you are capable of riding at and act as a hare for you, you'll soon start to push that bit faster to match them and find that actually you CAN do it. Yes you will have a few crashes but if the hare is good enough you'll find them relatively minor and great for building experience.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have checked out the Rides and Routes section, and all things staying the same, should be joining a group on Sunday morning for a bit of a blast. I'm hoping there maybe one or two of the group that want to do more riding so that might be an option as well.

My brother has an old hybrid bike I might be able to steal for commuting to work. It takes 45 minutes in a car, vs an hour on a bike. This should massively help with the fitness and weight loss plan. Provided I actually do it! If I get some gloves and decent warm kit, I can put up with a bit of cold. I have decent ear phones as well so I can just put the tunes on and off I go (most of it is along a cycle route rather than the road).

Thanks for the advice and tips. I like the idea of following someone better than me to push myself and keep up. I don't possess a huge range of skills but I do know the basics so I am hoping I will get back in to the swing of it again. I also managed to find that there is a small off road area with some small hills fairly close to my house which is a bonus.

I just need the motivation to do it now.
  • Bow brickhill is worth a look I've heard.

I'm meant to be going there with friends to give mtb a go - always wanted to try so at least you got the confidence to get ON the thing :) Dunno where you are but there's bridleways around wootton, clay way and such that would be ok I think?

Note first ever post on a bike forum here!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If I get some gloves and decent warm kit, I can put up with a bit of cold. I have decent ear phones as well so I can just put the tunes on and off I go (most of it is along a cycle route rather than the road).
    I'm a regular commuter
    1/ You don't need warm kit, I'm still in T-shirt and shorts as my pedalling keeps me warm, I have hung up the mitts for winter and am in my 3 season long fingered gloves now though.
    2/ Decent lights, on-one have their 60 lumen rear at a good price right now, it's the same light as the Moon shield 60 (look for reviews), I use it and it's great. At the front I use a Lezyne Macro as it's bright enough to use on dark country lanes yet not so bright it dazzles other road users, it's also lightweight, compact and can be charged from a USB.
    3/ I wouldn't use earphones cycling on road, hearing is a key part of your survival spidey senses!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I am confident enough riding a bike, its the actual MTB aspect I haven't done in ages. All I can do is get back out doing it and see what happens.

As for the commuting aspect, I might get away with shorts but gloves are a must! I absolutely hate cold hands when cycling! Also, the ear phones are for the cycle route part. When I get to the road, I'll drop one of them out but probably keep one in. My theory is I can't tell the difference between a car that will hit me and one that wont (unless they are out of control with screeching brakes). One ear phone out will be enough to hear bigger vehicles such as buses and lorries as well.

I do already have a decent set of lights - but the holders are broken so I will order new holders. I got them in Germany originally but I am sure I will be able to find them online. I do intend getting a second rear light as well to stick higher up on my rucksack.
  • mattham
    mattham Posts: 75

Does any know of any really good places not too far from Bedford to go? I know there is Chicksands and Woburn, but other than that not really sure.

Thanks.

Are you North or South of Bedford? I'm in the North side of Luton and there are some decent trails straight from my house towards Barton-Le-Clay or over towards Pirton. The guys who do the Hitchin ride (John) often do a loop from Hitchen - Pirton I think, taking in Telegraph Hill near Lilley which is where I often see them. I have some similar thoughts to you in that I'm not awfully fit and since my youth, lack a bit of the confidence I used to have bombing down the South Downs when I used to live in Portsmouth. I'm aiming to build up a bit of fitness before I join John and the guys on their rides.

Meantime, checkout the routes section of this website, they have some decent rides around Beds, Bucks and Herts....

http://www.sillygrin.co.uk/index.htm

Matt
  • I'm in Sandy so just east of Bedford really. If you need someone to go out riding with, I'd be interested. You aren't too far away and sounds like a similar skill and fitness level. Send me a message if you interested.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I usually ride woburn and have rubbish confidence but love hills and technical climbs so you can give me a shout if you like.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A lack of confidence is difficult to overcome. It causes you to ride slowly and drag brakes a lot where often speed makes things easier and safer and staying off the brakes allows your suspension to work properly and leaves you with more available grip and better weight distribution.
  • ^^ That is the problem!

I went out today and I was fine, although the downs were fast and fairly safe anyway, nothing technical. It was good to get back out though and I will likely be joining the guys again over the coming weeks.

Step, yeah I would be interested in that. I need to get many miles into my legs over the coming weeks and months. When do you normally ride there? Feel free to PM if you want.
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    You could try the Chicksands outside routes for a quick evening blast. They are free to ride and not overly challenging but could be what you need to keep the skills sharp between proper weekend rides. Not sure the state of them though as the website says they aren't properly maintained. I was there about 2 years ago and didnt notice anything overgrown or dangerous.
  • I ride with a group on a Thursday evening which leaves from Leighton Buzzard Town Centre at 7.30. They ride all over the local countryside (woburn, brickhills, rushmere, dunstable, wendover, ashridge etc) with a pub stop along the way before looping back. They are very experienced riders with all levels of technical ability in the group - some of the best mates i've ever had too.

When I first got back in the saddle, these rides improved my fitness, technique, health, knowledge and ale consumption. Night riding is also a great experience.

PM me if you like.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374