Thor's new book

thomthom
thomthom Posts: 3,574
edited October 2014 in Pro race
That has got to be the most insignificant thing ever created, eh?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    edited October 2014
    I'm quite interested in it. Is Iron Man really that arrogant? Is Captain America really that boring? Does he try and wind the Hulk up just for fun?

Oh. You mean Hushovd. Yeah, you're probably right.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    140KKr on a hair transplant, apparently
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Retired Norwegian pro Thor Hushovd's autobiography is due to be launched tomorrow, and in the eponymous tome called "Thor", he details a conversation he had with Lance Armstrong during which the American indirectly admitted to doping.

Hushovd recalls Armstrong saying, "all of us did it", in response to the topic of doping. According to the English-language Norwegian outlet TheLocal.no, he writes, “I didn't believe what I heard. He was sitting there, saying straight out that he used dope!"

“[Armstrong] confirmed what Tyler Hamilton and many others around him were to tell: That Lance Armstrong wasn't winning as a clean sportsman. The doping accusations came completely unexpectedly for me. But it seemed for [Armstrong] as if it wasn’t a big issue.”

“I wanted to tell him that he was wrong. That it wasn't at all correct that everyone doped themselves. That I didn't do it. I should have said that I myself was clean, that I never used dope and would never do it. Because I think Lance believed that I drugged myself too.”

Hushovd also expressed that he felt the system was corrupt, and thought it likely that the UCI itself covered up the doping.

“[Lance] was the great superstar and the golden calf of the sport. For UCI it would be a great loss if Armstrong was caught and revealed as a cheat. I believe that positive tests were hidden away in order to save Armstrong and to protect the sport of cycling.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    coriordan wrote:
    140KKr on a hair transplant, apparently

How am I going to fall asleep tonight?!
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Retired Norwegian pro Thor Hushovd's autobiography is due to be launched tomorrow, and in the eponymous tome called "Thor", he details a conversation he had with Lance Armstrong during which the American indirectly admitted to doping.

Hushovd recalls Armstrong saying, "all of us did it", in response to the topic of doping. According to the English-language Norwegian outlet TheLocal.no, he writes, “I didn't believe what I heard. He was sitting there, saying straight out that he used dope!"

“[Armstrong] confirmed what Tyler Hamilton and many others around him were to tell: That Lance Armstrong wasn't winning as a clean sportsman. The doping accusations came completely unexpectedly for me. But it seemed for [Armstrong] as if it wasn’t a big issue.”

“I wanted to tell him that he was wrong. That it wasn't at all correct that everyone doped themselves. That I didn't do it. I should have said that I myself was clean, that I never used dope and would never do it. Because I think Lance believed that I drugged myself too.”

Hushovd also expressed that he felt the system was corrupt, and thought it likely that the UCI itself covered up the doping.

“[Lance] was the great superstar and the golden calf of the sport. For UCI it would be a great loss if Armstrong was caught and revealed as a cheat. I believe that positive tests were hidden away in order to save Armstrong and to protect the sport of cycling.”

I wonder if that passage would have been included if LA hadn't got busted.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • So the book is so dull that it has to be sold on the basis of some doping scandal that by now everyone knows happened?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    So the book is so dull that it has to be sold on the basis of some doping scandal that by now everyone knows happened?

Does he mention appearing on that Norwegian game show where contestants had to guess what was stuffed down Thor's bibshorts, that was mildly amusing.

I did like watching him ride he was sort of a Sagan 1.0. He was more of a sprinter than Sagan (but no where near a match for Cavendish) and could mix it on the cobbles a bit (his 2009 P-R get off was pretty spectacular) and he did go on that green jersey points hunt breakaway that time.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    I'm struggling to think why this book is "definitely going" to be more boring than any other sports autobiography I must say...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    From what I've heard and read Thor might be wishing he never had this printed.
  • ddraver
    image.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    ddraver wrote:
    image.jpg

That dog does look a bit like Thor.
    @JaunePeril

• That dog does look a bit like Thor.

Excellent. most excellent! :lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Travis Tygart is pretty annoyed with Thor...

http://road.cc/content/news/133411-usad ... -admission

Go Team Trav!
  • RichN95.
    Travis Tygart is pretty annoyed with Thor...

Go Team Trav!
    "You're no hero when you sit still without doing something about injustice against great athletes," - says Travis Tygart, the man who didn't lift a finger against Armstrong for six years after all his evidence appeared in Walsh's book and allowed Justin Gatlin (better than ever in 2014) off with a one year ban for a second offence. He's more a problem than Hushovd (who had nothing concrete to disclose) ever was.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    RichN95 wrote:

Go Team Trav!
    "You're no hero when you sit still without doing something about injustice against great athletes," - says Travis Tygart, the man who didn't lift a finger against Armstrong for six years after all his evidence appeared in Walsh's book and allowed Justin Gatlin (better than ever in 2014) off with a one year ban for a second offence. He's more a problem than Hushovd (who had nothing concrete to disclose) ever was.

Wow, that is one silly comment.

The fact of the matter is that the feds wouldn't go after Armstrong, Tygart did.

It is Tygart's investigation that ended the Armstrong mess -- the ban and the loss of titles was due to Tygart, not Walsh, not the UCI.

Did it take too long -- yes. Do I think that Gatlin should be done for life -- yes.
    Is Walsh happy that Tygart did what he did -- appears so.

Hushovd -- has nothing concrete to disclose, really? The guy was a pro since the late 1990s...if anyone has dope stories, I'm sure he does. He isn't an idiot. Any decent rider at a LBS can tell you some stories. Thor decided not to spit in the soup -- well, maybe just a little to sell a few books, ok fair enough. Tygart was asked about it and he answered.
  • Yellow Peril
    Not quite sure what sort of reaction Thor expected to his revelation. He's shown his @rse a bit here. I think a rule of thumb would be only to be vocal about such matters post-bust if you were vocal pre-bust.
    @JaunePeril

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    Bakunin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Go Team Trav!

The fact of the matter is that the feds wouldn't go after Armstrong, Tygart did.

It is Tygart's investigation that ended the Armstrong mess -- the ban and the loss of titles was due to Tygart, not Walsh, not the UCI.

Did it take too long -- yes. Do I think that Gatlin should be done for life -- yes.

Hushovd -- has nothing concrete to disclose, really? The guy was a pro since the late 1990s...if anyone has dope stories, I'm sure he does. He isn't an idiot. Any decent rider at a LBS can tell you some stories. Thor decided not to spit in the soup -- well, maybe just a little to sell a few books, ok fair enough. Tygart was asked about it and he answered.

I think you'd get more traction posting this in the clinic over on cyclingnews.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Go Team Trav!

I think you'd get more traction posting this in the clinic over on cyclingnews.

What?

Traction?

The Clinic?

Please. Rich made a silly comment. Not as silly as your comment, but silly nonetheless.
  • RichN95.
    Bakunin wrote:
    Please. Rich made a silly comment. Not as silly as your comment, but silly nonetheless.
    It wasn't silly. The fact remains that almost all of the evidence that Tygart relied on was in David Walsh's book in 2005, including most of the same witnesses. Vaughters had spoken to USADA as early as 2003 and in 2008 made all his riders available for questioning.
    And despite all this Tygart managed to leave it so long to do anything (only when inactivity ceased to be a viable option) that he had to fudge the statute of limitations to make a case. And even then he let off frequent dopers with barely a slap on the wrist while many redacted names in the reports went unprosecuted.

And that's before we start on his support of Gatlin.

Yet he's strutting around like he's Eliot Ness telling everyone how they should have behaved when he himself spent many years fiddling while Rome burned.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Can't understand how anyone can support Gatling, the guys a massive tool and is absolutely unrepentant in his drug use.

As for Tygart, you get the feeling that with Armstrong, it was personal. double standards all over the place. I for one am glad he nailed Armstrong though, but should have meted out similar punishments to those that cheated and used the system for financial gain, hincapie for example..
  • ddraver
    Think Baku has a bit of a stiffy for My Tygart....
    - @ddraver
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    philbar72 wrote:
    Can't understand how anyone can support Gatling, the guys a massive tool and is absolutely unrepentant in his drug use.

As for Tygart, you get the feeling that with Armstrong, it was personal. double standards all over the place. I for one am glad he nailed Armstrong though, but should have meted out similar punishments to those that cheated and used the system for financial gain, hincapie for example..

There are a lot of ex dopers who did it to keep their career rather than financial gain. It was endemic, and frankly in Thor's position and knowing the lengths that Lance went to to ruin others its's hardly surprising
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Joelsim wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

There are a lot of ex dopers who did it to keep their career rather than financial gain. It was endemic, and frankly in Thor's position and knowing the lengths that Lance went to to ruin others its's hardly surprising

Self preservation, which given armstrongs strength at the time makes sense.
  • Bakunin
    ddraver wrote:
    Think Baku has a bit of a stiffy for My Tygart....

Lol. No I don't. I promise.

The fact remains, regardless of what Rich says, it was Tygart who got him.

It couldn't be Walsh, it wasn't the UCI, it wasn't the feds -- it was him.

Did it take too long -- of course. One can complain about a whole lot of things.

But without Tygart, Armstrong is still the king of the TdF.

I'm glad he got him. Apparently Rich isn't.