how difficult is the Rhyd Dhu trail, Snowdon?

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited October 2014 in Routes
Hiya, so I'm going to Snowdon soon :) don't get a chance to go there ever basically so want to make the most of it. I will be doing the ranger's path descent like most people, but what I want to know is how hard Rhyd Dhu is. I'm a good rider, but obviously I'm not a pro or anything. Is it possible for a decent rider or is it basically impossible? Cheers

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Some of it is a bit of a botty twitcher at one point you are on a ridge and falling off is not an option unless you have a parachute. Technically its not too bad but it is very rocky in places and you need to remember the weather can literally go from pleasant sunshine to howling blizzard in minutes, its high up dont take the mickey you need to be prepared for the worst.

You will need to be fit its a long climb and a long non stop descent you will get sore hands and leg muscles.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Cqc
    How narrow is the ridge? Can you walk it at worst? And is the rest of the trail all rideable? Thank you
  • stubs
    Yes the ridge is walkable and depending on your skill everything else is rideable as long as you dont mind a few slabsand your fit enough it is a beast of a climb if you have only done trail centres before
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Cqc
    Ok thanks, two ascents in a day shouldn't be too bad, but if I can only manage one, would you choose the ranger's descent or rhyd dhu?
  • stubs
    Its always personal but for me the Rangers path is the fast flowier route but anything on Snowdon is awesome and worth the grunt upwards.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i would go up rangers but left after the bends, go down telegraph valley to llanberis then up the llanberis path to summit and down the rangers, bit longer but 2 good decents
    i need more bikes