New Forest 100

Cartebleu
Cartebleu Posts: 20
Could be a bit of argy-bargy this weekend:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-29444519

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I think I'd make sure I had good puncture protection tyres on, several spare tubes and a decent pump at the minimum ....
    I'm not sure if I could fashion a bracket to take my sledge hammer in time ... ;)
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Wiggle have refused to make any amendments, despite promising to do so. They have avoided the clash on the other years.

The Gridiron organisers, who run an event that has been going for over 20 years have decided to not battle big corporate and have amended their route plan. Reading the saga of how they have been messed around has really lowered my opinion of Wiggle/UK Cycling Events.

I shall be supporting the Gridiron.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Dippydog3 wrote:
    Wiggle have refused to make any amendments, despite promising to do so. They have avoided the clash on the other years.

The Gridiron organisers, who run an event that has been going for over 20 years have decided to not battle big corporate and have amended their route plan. Reading the saga of how they have been messed around has really lowered my opinion of Wiggle/UK Cycling Events.

I shall be supporting the Gridiron.
    Interesting. I'm not a Wiggle defender, and in fact had decided not to ride any more of the Wiggle NF rides after all the fuss of recent events. However, I was talked into it by a friend. I notice that the ride this year is significantly different to previous years, and stays very much over the West side of the Forest, which I think is less busy. And if you count Roger Penny Way as marking the northernmost part of the Forest (yes, I know that there is some Forest north of this, but it counts as a good boundary), then about 50% of the 100 ride is actually not in the Forest! Doesn't bother me; I am local and can ride in the Forest when I want, but I suspect that some people may come to this ride and be surprised that the New Forest 100 spends so much time elsewhere!
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    I noticed that topcattim, I rode it yesterday and after initially starting in the forest the route soon took you out towards normal country lanes and Salisbury. Still a good ride but the NF is a lovely place to be and shame I didn't get to see more of it.
  • Quite a varied day yesterday. Mate who I was riding with had the front derailler cable work loose, and lost his big ring until it was fixed at the first stop. Then he had 2 slow punctures, both we found out caused by the valve core unscrewing itself. The second time it was pumped up the core lodged itself and broke in my Road Drive pump thus rendering it useless. Fortunately we had a spare pump, and mine was fixed this morning after gentle persuasion with a pair of pliers.

Saw lots of friendly locals and no tacs on the road. There were a handful of punctures on route but nothing out of the norm.

Seemed to be a lot of fallers yesterday. 2 on climbs, and 1 poor chap at a junction was on the ground under a silver sheet, being attended to. Hope he's ok.

Route was ok but as above it missed out a lot of Forest. Was very lucky with the rain holding off until we got in the car.
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2
  • I liked the route. Still plenty of pretty villages, etc outside the Forest itself.

I rode yesterday. It was colder than I expected and I suffered a bit, especially in the exposed areas. I also didn't manage to avoid the rain :-(

Anyway, that was my first 100 miler so I'm happy despite suffering today.
  • DEZZA53
    DEZZA53 Posts: 17
    I enjoyed the ride yesterday over a good route, short testing climbs but all doable.
    As I live and ride in the forest I was quite happy to ride both in and outside of the actual forest, a good mixture.
    From what I could see, there were no local issues and riders were well behaved with plenty of marshals to keep riders in check at crucial points.
    My first 100, very content with my ride but I know I've ridden 100......!!!!!
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Cartebleu wrote:
    DEZZA53 wrote:
    Well done chaps!

My Garmin showed 99.9 miles, and my mate's showed 99.7 miles. Not the first time that Wiggle have slightly underestimated their 100 milers - when I did their Wight Ferry 100 miler, I came in at something like 96 miles - when I asked a marshal about the missing few miles, she said, "we count the ferry trip!" :shock:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    99.9? lightweight!
  • topcattim wrote:
    Cartebleu wrote:
    DEZZA53 wrote:
    Well done chaps!

My Garmin showed 99.9 miles, and my mate's showed 99.7 miles. Not the first time that Wiggle have slightly underestimated their 100 milers - when I did their Wight Ferry 100 miler, I came in at something like 96 miles - when I asked a marshal about the missing few miles, she said, "we count the ferry trip!" :shock:

Thanks.

We met one lady who had finished on 99.7 miles, so she did a couple of laps of the kart track :-)