Security

Azhar
Azhar Posts: 247
edited November 2014 in MTB beginners
Hello! Just bought a brand new MTB for my commute to work (32miles round trip) and the new MTB has a quick release for the seat post. How does one make sure this isn't stolen? Would u replace the quick release for a bolted one? Take it with me and keep it in my cycling bag? What what??

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are leaving it somewhere the saddle can get stolen, presumably so can the wheels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just fit a bolt up clamp. They can still take your much more valuable wheels though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either use a bolted clamp (very slightly more secure) or take the seatpost out and take it with you. I also used bolt through and not QR skewers on my commuter but have a thick cable through them as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    After a few searches on google and posting on facebook cycling pages it seems the best idea is to one of those kryptonite cables that go through the seat rails and down towards the d - lock. IN regards to the replies that if they can steal the seat post they can steal the wheels - it was my intention to cable that all up towards the d lock keeping all components secure.

just looking for some decent flat pedals now....
  • Cody
    Cody Posts: 565
    Hi, sorry for the invasion. I bought a 7ft kryptonite cable from ebay for £13.00 and took one end which was looped and wrapped it around my top frame, then took the 2nd loop and held it around my seatpost and put a padded padlock on it around the seatpost through both loops which holds them together. It's ideal for bike security. It goes through one wheel at front all way to the rear and also holding on to the frame aswell as clinging around an object for 100% security. Best thing about it, when you're looking at it you can't even tell theres something holding it in place because of it's colour. If somebody had a pair of snippers it would take them some tie to cut through unless they had a big pair of snippers. I've also got a quick release seatpost so, for me, that's a cause for concern. As for the cable, you can either leave it on your bike or carry it in ya rucksack. whichever you prefer.
  • rmissin
    rmissin Posts: 57
    I use the kryptonite/cable method for the bike and front wheel, but I always take my seat with me....and it has the added bonus of giving you something readily available to crack the skull of any low-life you may find tampering with your bike when you come out of the supermarket. :evil:
  • Insure it, use an insurer approved lock. Log the frame number and make sure your thick cable goes through the seat rails and the wheels (both) before being attached to something solid.

If it were me I would have brought a cheap hybrid or road bike. Less important if it gets taken then.
  • Insure it, use an insurer approved lock. Log the frame number and make sure your thick cable goes through the seat rails and the wheels (both) before being attached to something solid.

If it were me I would have brought a cheap hybrid or road bike. Less important if it gets taken then.