Routes near Tonbridge taking in Toys Hill Rd

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
So I am down in Tonbridge on Sunday afternoon whilst my daughter is a hockey training camp, which will be dull to watch so I have ~6 hours to kill.

Any suggestions for a nice route of 40-50 miles ish (I can always add on a bit to a shorter route) that takes in Toys Hill Rd (from the 100 climbs book) AND most importantly has a decent cafe / pub stop en route.

Much appreciated
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Take a ride north west to the Bec hill climb and watch David Millar compete in his last race! Should be good, if a bit packed!! A good use of 6hrs I think.
  • t4tomo
    Ooh is that on Sunday?

Can hopefully combine with a leisurely spin, looks like I can take Toys Hill in on route, double back a little down to Oxted, then test the legs again up Chalkpit lane and arrive at the top of White lane for the Hill climb.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • the best riding country down there is to strike south . south-west to Penshurst / Chiddingston / Markbeech way - then loop back up to Oxted via Limpsfield. Envious.
  • t4tomo
    Thanks for the advice both - ended up doing this:
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6243440 which was great, all very scenic andde cent road surfaces in the main. Had intended to be a bit more direct betwene edenbridge and oxted, but a road was closed so looped round a bit. The descent down Hosey Common lane was a bit hairy - steep slippy and covered in horsechesnuts, I think I was going down almost as slow as people coming up.

of the two big climbs, Chalkpit lane was a tad slippy, so struggling for traction when standing up - I assume the Bec CC mob had similar issues on White lane. Toys Hill is a good long stretch, can see why it made the 100 climbs book.

Took in the first 30 or so of the Bec CC hill climb, saw Millars wife go up, but Millar himself was running near the end and i wanted to finshed my rdie before it got dark and wet which I just about managed on the wet front.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • t4tomo
    Was back again at the weekend and did a bit different route. Took in Toys Hill, White Lane where the Bec CC hill climb was last week ( i wouldn't have troubled the leading places) and then Toys hill again from the other side, which is less steep but fairly long. I had planned to turn left 3/4 up Toys Hill first time around but decided to ride to the top and uturn back round again to carry on :D

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6338590
    not much flat on this was all ups and downs, but very pleasant.

Found a decent place for lunch too in Westerham. The Rendezvous cafe on the main street - they popped outside as I was preparing to lock the bike up and laid up a table outside for me. Had a cracking streak baguette and pot of tea.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Went up Hosey Common Lane today for the first time - good, slippy, debris-strewn fun going up but I would not be keen on descending it at all.

Did you enjoy the view from the top of Puddledock Lane on your second trip?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I sometimes go over Hosey common from the A25 side towards Hever Castle and hate the surface, feels like pava at times it's so bad. Hasn't it been resurfaced since the start of the summer as that was the last time I used it.

Prefer the longer but less steep side of Toys Hill as that is more the sort of hill I can get up ok, even though i'm near the bottom of the strava stats.