Is now the worst time to buy 1st bike?

schlepper
schlepper Posts: 29
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
We're going into winter so it's getting darker and wetter, the 2015 models are expensive - and I've fallen for a 2015 Defy 1. But am I insane purchasing now? Should I hold my horses until Feb/Mar?

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Depends!

The advantage of buying at this time of year is you're likely to find deals on plenty outgoing 2014 models. If you're looking for a 2015 bike there's no benefit to buying now over any other time of year.
    So the question is whether you intend to ride over the winter. If you do then obviously you'll need to buy a bike now. However cycling in winter is typically not nearly as enjoyable or easy to organise as it is in late spring, summer and early autumn. Plenty of us ride all year round, it's just a bit less fun.
    If you're definitely getting the bike anyway, if you might use it over winter and if you have the money now, there's no real reason to wait that I can think of.
  • I got my first road bike (also a Defy) this time of year, two years ago. I got a 2012 model reduced rather than a new 2013 one, but the point was to start riding straight away rather than wait till the spring.

Looking at my Strava calendar, I rode 45 times from Oct to Dec, 911 miles total, and I did no wet weather riding at all. Last year I wasn't quite so dedicated (the novelty had worn off a little, I guess), but I still rode 35 times during those three months.

So I'd say, if you want a bike, and you want to start riding it, get it now.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • WILL 1 AM
    WILL 1 AM Posts: 132
    As per above, the best time to buy is the outgoing 2014 models for good discounts, however if your set on a 2015 then thats not a factor.
    If its your first bike - Road or otherwise, it easy to be caught up in the " I WANT THE NEWEST MODEL"
    What i have experienced is when I was the same, when buying into a new bike, but after a few, you noticed they keep the price the same and lower the spec of components, or they up the model price and keep the same/similar spec.

I bought 2nd hand 2012 Allez Comp E5 frame with 105 group set, Carbon Fork and Seatpost for £425, hardly used, pristine condition.
    Compared to what I could of got for the price new in 2015, I think i did okay.

Don't be concerned about the outgoing 2014, your money will go further.
  • WILL 1 AM wrote:
    ^^ this.

I test-rode a 2012 Defy 3 and a 2013 Defy 1, and there was so little to choose between them that I got the older one and saved about £300
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    There are some good deals on the out going 2014 Defy 1 models, if you can get one the correct size for you. However if you are set on the redesigned 2015 Defy 1 model, which is better VFM than last year, then you could buy the bike now or leave it till the spring.

Depends on whether the money is burning a hole in your pocket or not. Sounds like you don't intend to ride the bike over winter? You could limit your rides to dry days before the bad weather arrives and they start chucking salt on the roads, in which case you could buy the bike now and have some use out of it, and be ready for the spring.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    WILL 1 AM wrote:
    ^^ this.

I test-rode a 2012 Defy 3 and a 2013 Defy 1, and there was so little to choose between them that I got the older one and saved about £300

This, especially if you do ride during the winter as that new 2015 colour scheme will get dirty and no-one will really care that it is this year's model.

Save some cash buy an outgoing model and use the savings to buy some decent winter clothing which will make winter riding more enjoyable rather than just bearable.
  • Best time to buy a bargain is now, I bought a Felt Z85 last week for £663 from Wiggle - great bike for the money!!

if you don't fancy the weather you could also use the extra money you will have in buying a 2014 model and buy a turbo trainer http://www.amazon.co.uk/BDBikesTM-Bicycle-Magnetic-Turbo-Trainer/dp/B004JO48K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412771715&sr=8-1&keywords=turbo+trainer
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    hanhamreds wrote:
    Best time to buy a bargain is now, I bought a Felt Z85 last week for £663 from Wiggle - great bike for the money!!

if you don't fancy the weather you could also use the extra money you will have in buying a 2014 model and buy a turbo trainer http://www.amazon.co.uk/BDBikesTM-Bicycle-Magnetic-Turbo-Trainer/dp/B004JO48K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412771715&sr=8-1&keywords=turbo+trainer

Ah turbo trainers...... the best mini-clothes horse known to cyclist kind.

DON'T but a turbo trainer. As a beginner the chances of you using it are slim to none.

Just ask anyone on here for their opinion....... buy a decent set of warm bib tights, overshoes and a winter jacket with the savings and get out and get some fresh air.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Or a 3-4 month gym membership to get you through the worse bit. I would say now is a good time to buy and December is a great time to buy used.
  • Second that about not buying a turbo trainer as a novice. They might seem like a good idea but are no fun compared to actual bike riding.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You have to be very disciplined to use a turbo trainer as it is tedious.

Look at 2014 and 2013 bikes on sale at reduced prices. Now is a good time to buy.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    hanhamreds wrote:
    Best time to buy a bargain is now, I bought a Felt Z85 last week for £663 from Wiggle - great bike for the money!!

Ah turbo trainers...... the best mini-clothes horse known to cyclist kind.

DON'T but a turbo trainer. As a beginner the chances of you using it are slim to none.

Just ask anyone on here for their opinion....... buy a decent set of warm bib tights, overshoes and a winter jacket with the savings and get out and get some fresh air.

This - the clue is in the name; it's something you use for training. It lacks all characteristics of 'leisure'. I'm guessing that most keen hill walkers don't own treadmills to use when the weather's bad, and I'm also guessing that if the family wanted to go out on bikes for the day, a few hours on the turbo wouldn't be an acceptable substitute!
  • As others have said now is the time to buy, I just got a 2014 Pinarello Rokh with a grand off, lots of bargains around.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I think you're all being too logical about this :D why is now not a good time to buy a 1st bike ? ok this is my thinking as Im in similar position at the moment, I want to buy my 1st road bike, Ive fallen for a nice 2015 bike purely on the basis of the colour, ok I didnt say it was a rational choice, so whilst I could buy almost the same setup as a 2014 bike for a few hundred quid less assuming I could find the right size still, Im set on this 2015 bike.

but if I bought it now, well chances are I might not actually ride it that much, I dont ride when theres any chance of ice, and I wouldnt ride it in the rain if I could help it what with it being brand new and Id want to keep all the worst of the winter salt and muck off it, in fact Id probably want to treat it as a summer bike to start with, right as we're heading towards winter.

so that to me is the core of is now the worst time to buy 1st bike dilemna, buy the bike now at full rrp, and then just stare at it in the corner for the next 5months, or wait till Spring, I mean do prices only drop when the next years models are announced.
  • I don't think there is a right or wrong time to buy a bike, you can find deals all year round nowadays. And you might find the bike your after is sold out if you wait for the prices to drop.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    This comes from recent experience as I'm approaching my first anniversary on the bike.

1) Go for it now. You will not believe how easy riding in the summer is if you get into the habit during the winter.
    2) Do not go nuts on your first bike. If you stick with it, you will want a new one (with the benefit of properly understanding your use cases and riding styles) within 6 months. That means definitely go for 2014 models at a minimum, and seriously consider whether you need super flash components. You won't know the difference and it makes the N+1 upgrade so much nicer. And if it turns out cycling is not your thing, well, you're not so much in the hole.
    3) Turbo trainers are the worst. If you've followed (1) above, and gotten into the habit of riding in all weathers, the idea of sitting in your garage going nowhere will pall within 10 minutes. Speaking of, I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine which has been used for 10 minutes and is now taking up space (with matching mat and riser block ... I am a muppet). Offers from fair weather cyclists welcome!
    4) Getting a bike that can take full size guards is key to making the most of (1). I don't believe the Defy can, but check.
    5) VFM is a very dangerous concept in cycling.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    The Aluxx Defy bikes have mudguard fittings and Giant make a Defy specific mudguard set. The Defy 1 is £100.00 cheaper than the 2014 model with comparable components, though now 11sp so is VFM.
  • Dyrlac wrote:
    2) Do not go nuts on your first bike. If you stick with it, you will want a new one (with the benefit of properly understanding your use cases and riding styles) within 6 months. That means definitely go for 2014 models at a minimum, and seriously consider whether you need super flash components. You won't know the difference and it makes the N+1 upgrade so much nicer. And if it turns out cycling is not your thing, well, you're not so much in the hole.

I'm glad I didn't buy any bikes based on any 'proper understanding' I had gained after 6 months! Maybe some people develop the fitness and gain the knowledge in that time, but I don't think most people do.

But the main reason I don't think this is good advice is that the variations between typical road racing bikes are very small - perhaps if after 6 months it turns out that fully loaded touring is more of interest, there might be a case for a change of equipment - but in general, you are always better off getting the best bike you can afford (after allowing for clothing and tools, obviously). All depreciate, and you will probably end up wanting another bike whatever you buy.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    do it now - winter miles will turn you into a proper cyclist - I quite like winter cycling there is less traffic
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I've actually got a turbo which I do use. But others are right, it's as dull as shit riding on it. Download something from the 'net to watch or listen to.

As for 2015 bikes vs 'old', it's up to you, really. Personally, I don't give a shit about 'this year's colours', nor do most cyclists. I bought an old model Cinelli from Wiggle and love it SSOOOOOOOOOO much!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Makes no difference whether its the latest model or not because no matter how much you spend on a bike, your legs determine how fast you go, not the bike. Buy a 2013, 2014 or 2015....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Right now is always the best time to buy a bike. Just buy it, I guarantee you won't regret it.
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    Makes no difference whether its the latest model or not because no matter how much you spend on a bike, your legs determine how fast you go, not the bike. Buy a 2013, 2014 or 2015....

+1. Just keep an eye on the groupset spec. For example if last years has 10 speed but this years has 11 speed. Other than that there isn't much evolution year to year and much of the time the spec gets worse as the manufacturers cut the costs to reach a price point.
  • Thanks all.

Very useful tips. Just to set minds at ease, I have no intention of buying a turbo trainer.

I've decided to buy now, but I think I'm moving away from the Giant to a Genesis Equilibrium. I've realised that that sort of all round bike, that can be taken seriously as a road bike - but not too seriously - suits my needs for now. I want to be able to ride with the kids, commute, do club runs etc etc

It also allows me to embrace the n+1 mantra and in a year's time, once this C2W bike is paid off, I can fully justify a swanky road racer.
  • BLW
    BLW Posts: 96
    Narrr never a bad time to buy a bike.

You can hook up to a TT in the week and look forward to heading out on dry days at the weekend, if you wipe down after well if you're caught out in the damp then it should be fine, personally I'd go for a decent bargainious second hand bike for winter and treat yourself to nice new pair of wheels come summer, but that's just me.

Either way, buy one and enjoy!

:)