MET Police Thread

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
Velonutter wrote:
You lot only see one side of the coin, to make a unbiased decision you need to see both sides. If you have a problem with the moderation then take it to the correct place, do not start in here as I was about to lock this thread for good.

As you asked maybe we can discuss this here?

In the case of the thread about the MET police investigating the murder of that girl I don't see what other side there was to see?

Colin had a different opinion to Ugo which he was expressing in a very well mannered and well informed way as he clearly has a greater understanding of the subject than most people, Ugo included.

I really can't see what he did in that thread to get banned?

The problem now is that as the thread is deleted no one can go back and see for themselves what was said, maybe just locking it would have been better as it would have left it all there for all to see?

Can the thread not be put back as a locked thread?
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    arran77 wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    You lot only see one side of the coin, to make a unbiased decision you need to see both sides. If you have a problem with the moderation then take it to the correct place, do not start in here as I was about to lock this thread for good.

As you asked maybe we can discuss this here?

In the case of the thread about the MET police investigating the murder of that girl I don't see what other side there was to see?

Colin had a different opinion to Ugo which he was expressing in a very well mannered and well informed way as he clearly has a greater understanding of the subject than most people, Ugo included.

I really can't see what he did in that thread to get banned?

The problem now is that as the thread is deleted no one can go back and see for themselves what was said, maybe just locking it would have been better as it would have left it all there for all to see?

Can the thread not be put back as a locked thread?

Sounds reasonable to me, in the name of openness and all that.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I 'contributed' to that thread and I too would like to see what was posted that was so outrageous that it warranted the thread being removed from public gaze.
  • He wasn't banned for disagreeing with me... there is no Stalin here... he was banned for insulting another moderator via a PM, as I understand...
    So if you want to talk about informed opinions, then get informed before forming an opinion!

I deleted the thread... it simply was going in a grotesque direction, with personal attacks and jokes on a topic which is not for jokes.
    You can open a new one, if you so wish, but if it goes the same way, it will end up in the same way... simples
    left the forum March 2023
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I warned Colin for aggressively calling Ugo an idiot and removed just those threads, it is not the first time we have had a run in with him, he does not respect other members opinions and becomes quite aggressive when challenged and it would be much better to explain and discuss a point.

He then sent me a PM which I just felt was the icing on the cake.

Personally I thought the Met Police thread was fine until people started making a joke out of someone's death and I too felt that Colin refused to see anything other that an open discussion and started his bully boy opinions and that was portrayed in his PM to me for which he received a 4 week ban as it was not his first time.

Different Mods/Admins deal with things how they see fit, Ugo was not aware that I had removed some posts and he acted as he saw fit.

The Met Police thread I personally thought was interesting, however and typical with the off topic sections, the same old crew chose to degenerate it.
  • Velonutter
    arran77 wrote:
    ..............Colin had a different opinion to Ugo which he was expressing in a very well mannered and well informed way.....

So to quote: -
    And can someone explain to that idiot of a mod,...

Is that really expressing in a very well mannered and informed way? :roll:

He was told by a number of you to leave it and he chose not to. :roll:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    The Met police thread was an attack on their professionalism, Colin used to work for them didn't he? wasn't his reaction to a certain amount justified under provocation of unfounded allegations about what the police/did/didn't do in the search of the area?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    Velonutter wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    ..............Colin had a different opinion to Ugo which he was expressing in a very well mannered and well informed way.....

must admit i did say he was treading dodgy ground in that he was winding ugo up, but still hoped it wouldn't come to this
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Velonutter
    The Met police thread was an attack on their professionalism, Colin used to work for them didn't he? wasn't his reaction to a certain amount justified under provocation of unfounded allegations about what the police/did/didn't do in the search of the area?

Correct me if I am wrong (and I may well be) but Colin was based in rural Scotland, a totally different area and operation than the Met Police, of course he would have had an intelligent input, but he chose to degenerate it.

I saw nothing wrong with Ugo's posts, they were open for debate and it was only when Ugo felt he was trolling that he got out of hand.
  • The Met police thread was an attack on their professionalism, Colin used to work for them didn't he? wasn't his reaction to a certain amount justified under provocation of unfounded allegations about what the police/did/didn't do in the search of the area?

No, it's completely unjustified... the MET police like any public body we pay for with our taxes is subject to criticism if we feel they can do a better job. It is totally legitimate to discuss the MET police... On the contrary, if we were in North Korea, it would be illegal... see the difference?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

must admit i did say he was treading dodgy ground in that he was winding ugo up, but still hoped it wouldn't come to this

And that was why he was warned, he didn't even want to take heed from his mates and just kept pushing it.

When are people going to learn that internet forums are open forums for discussions not insults or trolling people. You wouldn't call someone you have never met before "An Idiot" face to face so why do it with your fingers. I tell you what, if someone I didn't know called me an idiot face to face then they wouldn't say it a second time :roll:
  • bianchimoon
    Velonutter wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

And that was why he was warned, he didn't even want to take heed from his mates and just kept pushing it.

When are people going to learn that internet forums are open forums for discussions not insults or trolling people. You wouldn't call someone you have never met before "An Idiot" face to face so why do it with your fingers. I tell you what, if someone I didn't know called me an idiot face to face then they wouldn't say it a second time :roll:
    I was going to say violence is never the answer...
    but instead i'll genefluct generally in your direction and leave the room
  • Velonutter
    ......I was going to say violence is never the answer...
    but instead i'll genefluct generally in your direction and leave the room

Who said anything about violence :roll: :wink:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    He wasn't banned for disagreeing with me... there is no Stalin here... he was banned for insulting another moderator via a PM, as I understand...
    So if you want to talk about informed opinions, then get informed before forming an opinion!

I deleted the thread... it simply was going in a grotesque direction, with personal attacks and jokes on a topic which is not for jokes.
    You can open a new one, if you so wish, but if it goes the same way, it will end up in the same way... simples

Fair enough if someone sends abusive PMs or is abusive. That is not acceptable.
    As regards jokes in poor taste, that is probably directed at me. I am fully aware that everyone has a different sense of humour but looking back at what I said, I still can't believe anyone took so much offence.
    Such is life.
  • arran77
    Velonutter wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong (and I may well be) but Colin was based in rural Scotland, a totally different area and operation than the Met Police, of course he would have had an intelligent input, but he chose to degenerate it.

I saw nothing wrong with Ugo's posts, they were open for debate and it was only when Ugo felt he was trolling that he got out of hand.

With all due respect I think you could well be wrong.

Colin now works in rural Scotland having previously worked in London, as I said he was pretty well informed to be talking about this topic and was coming up with some pretty good debate really.

As for calling Ugo an idiot, that was his choice of words, but from memory, and that's all I have as I can't see the posts any more :wink:, Ugo was repeatedly disagreeing with whatever Colin said and I guess it just got to the point where Colin got bored of it.

'Idiot' is a pretty restrained choice of words really isn't it. Whatever was said via PM is obviously totally separate and something none of new about.

I think the trouble is that once you're card's marked here no matter how well informed or sensible you try to be there will always be those who perhaps try to push a situation a certain way.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Fair enough if someone sends abusive PMs or is abusive. That is not acceptable.
    As regards jokes in poor taste, that is probably directed at me. I am fully aware that everyone has a different sense of humour but looking back at what I said, I still can't believe anyone took so much offence.
    Such is life.

That's the trouble, we can't, it got mod'ed :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:

Colin now works in rural Scotland having previously worked in London, as I said he was pretty well informed to be talking about this topic and was coming up with some pretty good debate really.

As for calling Ugo an idiot, that was his choice of words, but from memory, and that's all I have as I can't see the posts any more :wink:, Ugo was repeatedly disagreeing with whatever Colin said and I guess it just got to the point where Colin got bored of it.

Your memory faults you... the very first thing he said, his introduction line was to point out that I was "looking like an idiot... "

However, I didn't lock or delete the thread back then and it's not the reason he received a ban. Now, stop trying to justify inacceptable behaviour with pathetic excuses... CtC has been known to insult other users and has a long standing record, so it comes to no surprise that at some point in a forum that does not tolerate it, he does get banned.
  • Velonutter
    He received a ban not for calling me an idiot but inferring that I was one and to be truthful because of his past, I just couldn't be bothered with the argumentative nature of his PM.

Bloody Hell, Arran you of all people know how much restraint I normally show, I'm just sick and tired of people who want to argue on a forum or via PM, I've got better things to do than keep watching what the BB and Cakestop lot are up to, but sadly apart from the Classifieds, those areas take up a lot of our time and much of the time no one even knows that we have modded a post or topic.
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:

Your memory faults you... the very first thing he said, his introduction line was to point out that I was "looking like an idiot... "

However, I didn't lock or delete the thread back then and it's not the reason he received a ban. Now, stop trying to justify inacceptable behaviour with pathetic excuses... CtC has been known to insult other users and has a long standing record, so it comes to no surprise that at some point in a forum that does not tolerate it, he does get banned.

My memory could well fault me but that's the trouble, it's all there is, the thread has gone!!!

How about from now on unless there is something so outrageously offensive the thread is simply locked and not deleted?
    Velonutter wrote:
    He received a ban not for calling me an idiot but inferring that I was one and to be truthful because of his past, I just couldn't be bothered with the argumentative nature of his PM.

Bloody Hell, Arran you of all people know how much restraint I normally show, I'm just sick and tired of people who want to argue on a forum or via PM, I've got better things to do than keep watching what the BB and Cakestop lot are up to, but sadly apart from the Classifieds, those areas take up a lot of our time and much of the time no one even knows that we have modded a post or topic.

Until after everyone started discussing this we didn't know that Colin had said something to you via PM, if you say that was unacceptable and the reason for his ban that's not a problem. I fully accept that you are generally pretty lenient.

Oh and on the subject of Colin being banned not for calling you an idiot but inferring that you are one is that a bit like somebody inferring that I make ' pathetic excuses' :wink:

Colin can't infer that your an idiot but Ugo can infer that I'm pathetic :roll:

seanoconn
  • Arran, I suggest you cut your moaning short, this is going on a bit too much for my likes. You got your answers, which is a bonus, don't pull the rope now...
  • arran77
    Arran, I suggest you cut your moaning short, this is going on a bit too much for my likes. You got your answers, which is a bonus, don't pull the rope now...

You're not the one who should be getting cross here.

You said that my arguments are pathetic. That's going a bit further than just inferring something about someone.

I don't see that's on to be honest in light of recent goings on.

seanoconn
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Sorry i missed the thread but if Ctc apologises in an open letter and agrees he will behave can he come out to play?

Actually i did catch most of the thread, not sure if idiotgate as i will now refer to it had been and gone by then but his argument seemed pretty structured to me.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Velonutter
    Simon, the ban for one month stands, not just because of yesterday but he compounded the thoughts we already had about him.
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:

So it would appear that the 'Report this Post' button (the exclamation mark) obviously doesn't work as I reported the above post because I felt that it wasn't really on that my actions can be described as 'pathetic excuses' given that implying things about a persons character are not even allowed any more.

I got an email to say it had been resolved, how is it resolved?

seanoconn
  • Velonutter
    All reports appear in the Mod Control Panel and all Mods or Admins are made aware of them, once read they automatically send an acknowledgement to the sender, it doesn't mean that any action has been taken, only that it has been read.

Don't blame me, I'm not a lover of phpBB, but that is what we have to use.
  • arran77
    Velonutter wrote:
    All reports appear in the Mod Control Panel and all Mods or Admins are made aware of them, once read they automatically send an acknowledgement to the sender, it doesn't mean that any action has been taken, only that it has been read.

Don't blame me, I'm not a lover of phpBB, but that is what we have to use.

Another one of the 'glitches' on here then :lol:

seanoconn
  • I assume as I'm being discussed here, there is no issue with me replying or 'discussing the issues I had with the team'...

Not that I'm expecting any change, as I did try and complain to people of a higher 'paygrade' but I was met with what is best described as sympaty, but apathy, although in all honesty, in their roles, a complaint about poor and unfair moderation is probably not that important in the grand scheme of things. Life goes on.

Firstly, that you to those who raised their head above the parapet and spoke out in my defence. I appreciate that, Thank you.

This is my recollection of how things unfolded. I should re-cap, as the thread has been removed, why, i'm not sure.

In a post by Ugo criticising the search techniques of a canal by the Met Police I replied using my experience as a specialist trained officer in that role. Rather than engage with me he labelled my a 'Troll'. Users of internet forums will appreciate this is somewhat offensive and in all honesty a poor response to an argument which you appear to be losing....

In another completely unrelated thread I labelled Ugo an idiot. I received a warning from this which accept. On reflection labelling a moderator an idiot was perhaps not a good move. A moderator labeling another forum user a 'Troll', well that went by without issue. So on my part, Ugo I apologies for labeling you an 'idiot'.

So in a PM from Velonutter I accepted my warning. My reply to him is subject of a fair bit of speculation on this thread, whether it be insulting, rude or argumentative. To avoid any misunderstanding, you can read it yourselves and judge it accordingly.

Sent: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:49 pm
    To: Velonutter
    And what action are you taking about him calling me a troll...?

If you don't understand the meaning and implications of that word on a forum, perhaps you should google it.

I find that word more offensive than anything I used and i'm sure you're keen to show fairness across the board. Or I would like to think you would...

I look forward to your reply.

So asking for fairness and openess, here is the reply I received,

Go and have a 4 week break and come back with a different attitude.

So that's my take on it, my questions to the team are;
    Is it acceptable for moderators to insult members of the forum...?
    Should a moderator insult a member of the forum what action is taken...?
    Is it usual to be banned for asking for fairness...?

And my final issue with the team is this admission -
    Velonutter wrote:
    I just couldn't be bothered with the argumentative nature of his PM.

Surely as a moderator, they are here to take the good with the bad. That's their job. If they are not up to it, they should stand down and let someone who is. To ban someone simply because they 'couldn't be bother' is shockingly lazy and very disappointing for someone in that role.

Anyone still reading this....? :shock:
  • bianchimoon
    good to have you back, said thread will not go down as the mods finest hour, and attitude to arran on this thread is shocking, treating it like its your own personal forum and to make threats because of 'moaning' deserves more of a ban than Arrans contribution.. i'll say goodbye for a while shall I :wink:
    Arran, I suggest you cut your moaning short, this is going on a bit too much for my likes. You got your answers, which is a bonus, don't pull the rope now...
  • skylark
    skylark Posts: 445
    Cop seems to have a lot of free time to be playing on the internetz.