Tyre size confusion

PaddyG68
PaddyG68 Posts: 34
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
I'll put this topic here, as I'm obviously a beginner when it comes to tyre size descripions. After a recent blow-out and subsequent damaged tyre, I wanted to order a pair of puncture resistant 700x23 tyres for my road bike. So I went to Amazon and ordered the following:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AKYJJCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The description reads: Continental Gator Hard Shell Tyre 700 x 23 in Black 700 x 32C, Black.
Imagine my disappointment when I received 700x32c tyres instead, having paid £25 postage and Sfr 37.- Swiss customs fees.
Was it my own fault, or is the description misleading to someone with scant knowledge of tyre size nomenclature?
2011 Scott Spark Team 29er
2014 Cannondale CAAD8 7 Sora

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The description appears to offer you a choice of 23 or 32, but unless that choice extends to an option to select either at checkout stage, then I would say it is misleading.
  • Imposter wrote:
    The description appears to offer you a choice of 23 or 32, but unless that choice extends to an option to select either at checkout stage, then I would say it is misleading.

There wasn't a choice at checkout.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Indeed a misleading ad.
    A tyre has typival 2 sizes:
    1-Diameter rim 700 or 622 /650
    2-Tyre width 23/25/28/32 and so on , only ONE size C=clincher
  • I contacted the supplier through Amazon and they admitted the ad was misleading, but they had no control as to how their goods are described on the Amazon site. They have offered a full refund, including the additional costs, which I think is pretty decent of them.
    Ordered from Wiggle.co.uk instead for much cheaper and free delivery to CH.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    PaddyG68 wrote:
    The description reads: Continental Gator Hard Shell Tyre 700 x 23 in Black 700 x 32C, Black.
    Imagine my disappointment when I received 700x32c tyres instead,
    =====================================
    The mention of BOTH '700 x 23' AND '700 x 32C' indicates that there is something odd (confusing) happening, and should cause the buyer to make sure of the precise specifications.

This can happen with many bike parts because of the large number of different models, sizes, etc.
    If anything in the description seems unusual or contrary to what you want, then check to make sure before purchasing.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA