A two pronged question about bar tape

nunowoolmez
nunowoolmez Posts: 865
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
So I am collecting my Condor Acciaio frameset (black & white version) in a month & will be putting Campag Chorus on it with Shamal Ultras. My main cause for ponderment at the moment is which tape colour to go with. I will be using a white saddle so technically the tape should be white I guess. I have used white tape before & it gets very dirty pdq. What about one of the versions with the Fizik logo printed on them?

I have been looking at the various Fizik offerings & have heard the Microtex tape is easy to clean. However, having looked at the different types, i am left confused as to which is which & the actual difference between them all. Which one is the supposedly easy to clean one & is it one of the logo print ones.

Apologies if this is weary...but thanks for reading. Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Buy black. Specifically Zipp CX service course from Merlin
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Black, plain, un-embossed cork. That's all you need.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • agree with the above - black plain cork.
    Great choice in frame by the way.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    There's only one bar tape I'll be using again, unless a new better product comes along - Lizard Skins 2.5mm - vast improvement on anything I've used before.

Tend to agree on black colour and assume you'll eventually change the saddle to black in due course (especially after a winter's worth of grime!).

Peter
  • I agree with Peter: Lizard Skins DSP regular thickness. I've had white cork which I found to always be dirty but otherwise ok. I've had Fizik which I found to be dangerously slippery. I went the Lizard Skins route and will not go back.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Buy black. Specifically Zipp CX service course from Merlin

I second this. Brilliant tape, easy to fit, very strong and very very comfortable so much so there is no need for gloves.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    MugenSi wrote:
    very very comfortable so much so there is no need for gloves.

So do you wrap your palms with it in case of an off? :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    team47b wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    very very comfortable so much so there is no need for gloves.

So do you wrap your palms with it in case of an off? :wink:

You might want to sort your quote boxes out...... :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    What is the advantage of two pronged bar tape. I think we should be told! :lol:
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    If it's a white Fizik saddle you're sticking on it'd be madness not to get the logo'd white microtex. It cleans up excellently and for £10 you can replace fresh for summer.

You know you want white, and you also know you want your bike to look it's best when shiny and new. Also, the extended white accents only leave you that option.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Fizik Microtex black softtouch is great tape. Not quite sure how but it's more comfy than the shiny version.

Lizard Skins gets my vote if you want to get white tape though. It's great tape (so comfy it fixed my tennis elbow!) but the price reflects that.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I went for a set of plain black Condor cork tape in the end. Keeping it in tandem with Acciaio I suppose. Sorted!