If Boris Johnson became PM

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
So Boris is contesting an easy Tory seat at Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

What could he do for cycling if he became PM?

or what should he do?

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    What he would do is "be honest".
    That on the whole should suit everyone, even cyclists :)
    Living MY dream.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    He has the same bike as me.
  • RideOnTime
    Joelsim wrote:
    He has the same bike as me.

a penny farthing?
  • A boris bike...?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yep I have a Boris Bike, it's official. He has a Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    RideOnTime wrote:
    So Boris is contesting an easy Tory seat at Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

What could he do for cycling if he became PM?

more than he did as Mayor?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    What we need is legislation guaranteeing cycle infrastructure in new road developments and funding for new infrastructure on a much bigger scale than we have now.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    LPAs using S-57s on new developments would be a start, fund the infrastructure from new supermarkets etc.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    VTech wrote:

Honest?

Honestly?

The guy is a liar.
  • RideOnTime
    guinea wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Honest?

Honestly?

The guy is a liar.

pants on fire?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    he is a politician, he d do what is best for him and his friends.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    mamba80 wrote:
    he is a politician, he d do what is best for him and his friends.
    Thank you for concluding this debate.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RideOnTime wrote:

While the idea is absolutely amazing, I dread to think of the costs of it, and who would foot the bill for it.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    RideOnTime wrote:

We've got one of those, it links the shopping centre, bus and railway station with the cycle route to Stone.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime wrote:

While the idea is absolutely amazing, I dread to think of the costs of it, and who would foot the bill for it.

Its all about the money, that's what you're sayin...
  • RideOnTime
    Giraffoto wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

We've got one of those, it links the shopping centre, bus and railway station with the cycle route to Stone.

Stone?
  • VTech
    I guess it will always come down to the fact that as has been argued on this very forum, people believe in the whole that the country should be run for the people.

IMO this can't, won't and never has worked in the past so why do people honestly think it will change every 4 years ?

The only way for it to stand a chance is to run the country like a business because that is what it is !
    Make directors (PM's) accountable. Make them punishable for fraud and poor practice and the problems will stop to a large degree.
    Then we as shareholders will in turn be better off. There is no need to sell off sectors of the financial departments of our country as has been done over the years. Singapore have this nailed firmly and it works perfectly. Companies quote for projects whilst he government still own the various sectors and if these companies fail to deliver they pay fines and fees. The road and infrastructure is awesome and everything just works.
    Living MY dream.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    VTech wrote:
    I guess it will always come down to the fact that as has been argued on this very forum, people believe in the whole that the country should be run for the people.

IMO this can't, won't and never has worked in the past so why do people honestly think it will change every 4 years ?

The only way for it to stand a chance is to run the country like a business because that is what it is !
    Make directors (PM's) accountable. Make them punishable for fraud and poor practice and the problems will stop to a large degree.
    Then we as shareholders will in turn be better off. There is no need to sell off sectors of the financial departments of our country as has been done over the years. Singapore have this nailed firmly and it works perfectly. Companies quote for projects whilst he government still own the various sectors and if these companies fail to deliver they pay fines and fees. The road and infrastructure is awesome and everything just works.

You are sort of right, the way the likes of Sing manage and build major projects is outstanding but comes at the price of bringing in mass labour from other countries to produce best bottom line and feck the consequences.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • VTech
    simonhead wrote:
    VTech wrote:

You are sort of right, the way the likes of Sing manage and build major projects is outstanding but comes at the price of bringing in mass labour from other countries to produce best bottom line and feck the consequences.

In fairness to them, they don't have the workforce within the state. Without Thai workers they could not operate to the level they do. We do have workforce and we can fix that with lower paid jobs but give them tax benefits to make it worthwhile for them to work. It's all very fixable but doesn't allow for corruption which IMO is why it won't happen.
    Living MY dream.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    You are right they dont have the workforce, it is shipped in from Thailand and India. Labourers typically earn $18 dollars a day and finish the first year of their contract in debt, having done 14+ hour days. The labour market is full of corruption http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2014/apr/21/singapore-address-treatment-migrant-workers

I am not disagreeing with you on running the UK like a business, its a fine idea but it depends on the business you are talking about. Do you want it run like Tesco or would you, like me prefer the John Lewis approach. If that is the case I would use Norway as an example.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • VTech
    simonhead wrote:
    You are right they dont have the workforce, it is shipped in from Thailand and India. Labourers typically earn $18 dollars a day and finish the first year of their contract in debt, having done 14+ hour days. The labour market is full of corruption http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2014/apr/21/singapore-address-treatment-migrant-workers

I am not disagreeing with you on running the UK like a business, its a fine idea but it depends on the business you are talking about. Do you want it run like Tesco or would you, like me prefer the John Lewis approach. If that is the case I would use Norway as an example.

I don't think we would need the tesco method as globalisation isn't what's needed. The shareholders being the people of the state (us) only need the basics as well as decent infrastructure. We should all be able to then obtain whatever else we chose wether that be high earnings from a professional job or low earnings from a basic task job.

Hopefully things will change as the debt clock ticks all the time and the direction isn't pleasing.
    Living MY dream.