Rapha classic wind jacket or DHB Cosmo waterproof

The Wilch
The Wilch Posts: 38
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
2 packable jackets, both in a style and colour I find very appealing with grand claims of breathability... but £130 (after wiggle discount) difference in cost...

My main concern is breathability. I don't mind paying a lot more for a little more breathability, but I'm hoping someone on here has experienced one or both of these jackets.

The cosmo has a claimed breathability rating of 30,000m2/24 hrs which means very little to me other than it's up there with some premium jackets. But is there even a proper standardised way of testing this?

The Rapha simply claims to be breathable, which reviews and anecdotal evidence seem to corroborate.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-cosmo-waterproof-jacket/
http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/classic- ... duct/STJ11

I'd love to here some words of wisdom. I'd consider getting the DHB now and waiting for the Rapha sales, but I'm not sure anything they stick the word 'Classic' on ever get's reduced.
Thanks for reading.

Comments

• So you want to compare a waterproof and windproof jacket?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Wasn't particularly impressed with the Rapha Classic wind jacket, IMO didn't breath very well at all, so sent it back under the classic guarantee.
  • I have the DHB Cosmo and like it. The main problem with it is the fit as it is a little odd like some reviewers point out. It could do with being a bit longer certainly at the back and a little looser around the shoulders.

I don't have lots of experience with other jackets so I can't really compare to them but it does a good job of being waterproof. I did the RideLondon100 in it this year and my torso stayed dry. I didn't boil in the bag and undoing the zip a little provided additional ventilation.

Are there better jackets out there? Sure. Are there better value jackets out there? Doubtful. I'd never consider a Rapha at the price they demand but then again my cycling wardrobe is made up of DHB and Torm. I can think of a lot of things that I'd rather spend the 130 GBP on.
  • Have the Rapha wind jacket & it is very good, though not waterproof have worn in downpours and does well. Only downside is it's so good at being wind proof that you it's can't breathe too well and body temperature tends to be high. You'll find most lightweight jackets can't suffer similarly unless they have venting.

Personally I wear a wind proof in colder weather which suits me better and just use arm warmers as find this more flexible
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The DHB one must be pretty good. Its full price!

I stay well away from Rapha. I love quality, but some design features, their brand image, and photos on their site is keeping me from being at all bothered if their stuff is actually any good or not.

I normally buy exactly what I want regardless of fashion, everyone having it, nobody having it, high cost, low cost etc. etc., but guys leaning forward with forearms on bars, all wearing cycling caps and looking like they are talking complete b0ll0cks to each other.......... is too much for me.

That said, if you get 30 days to try it and do not feel stigmatised by the brand, then give it a go if postage is not an issue.
    Get the DHB one too as wiggles returns are easily the best in the business.
    You can then try the Rapha one for real and at least compare fit/feel of the DHB.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    I stay well away from Rapha. I love quality, but some design features, their brand image, and photos on their site is keeping me from being at all bothered if their stuff is actually any good or not.

I've read this a million times on these forums the last couple of years.

Does a brand exist that doesn't have promo pictures? (no) Does Rapha force you to view them? (no) Do they spend million on TV and magazine advertising? (no) Do you walk out of your house and see a giant Rapha advertisment on your local billboard? (no).

It's a straw man argument. You have to go to their website, specifically click on one or two specific links and then, and only then, will you see all the promotional crap that you hate so much. 99.9% of Rapha buyers would just click the 'Shop' links at the top to get to exactly what they want. They'll be a little bit of fancy photography showing off their products on the homepage (HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!) but they share that type of website design with virtually all shop websites on the web.

And why does no one takes offence at Assos man :)

assos-mille-bibshorts.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Your point about the intrusiveness of the Rapha promotional photos is pointless. I did not say they stalk me.
    I am a cyclist/potential customer so of course I am going to see them.
    You do not have to go at all deep into the site to work out they are very far up their own ar5e.

I do not find Assos man, Assos woman or Assos branding anywhere near as prohibitive. They are a bit ar5ey, but more about function and perfection (which I admire even if I cannot acheive/fully benefit from), rather than 'buy me and you will be coooool' and soooooo afluent type vibe.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Your point about the intrusiveness of the Rapha promotional photos is pointless. I did not say they stalk me.
    I am a cyclist/potential customer so of course I am going to see them.
    You do not have to go at all deep into the site to work out they are very far up their own ar5e.

I do not find Assos man, Assos woman or Assos branding anywhere near as prohibitive. They are a bit ar5ey, but more about function and perfection (which I admire even if I cannot acheive/fully benefit from), rather than 'buy me and you will be coooool' and soooooo afluent type vibe.

You and other anti-Rapha peeps are massively over thinking things. I just know a British company that didn't exist just over 10 years ago is mixing it up with the best (whether you like their advertising or not) and I think that's pretty cool. As do their highly paid (and taxed) British advertising people ;)
  • Carbonator wrote:

What design features are you referring to?
  • Anonymous
    It was only the non centralised/asymmetric zip I was referring to.
    It could be more that I feel it's trying to just be different and noticeably Rapha, than the fact it looks a bit 80's 'Buck Rodgers in the 25th century'.
  • So you'd rather have a zip rubbing against the bottom of your jaw when the jacket is fully done up? Interesting. May be different but certainly works as well as a normal positioned zip closure without any rubbing on the chin. Which, if you're a stubbly as me, can be quite a blessing! My legs hurt, don't need a face hurting due to a zip pulling out hairs on my chin :lol:

I would say that you should actually try some of the gear before dismissing it on the grounds of the models looking better in it than you do. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised. I know I certainly was.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    It could be more that I feel it's trying to just be different and noticeably Rapha, than the fact it looks a bit 80's 'Buck Rodgers in the 25th century'.

And Assos in no way looks like it's right out of a space disco...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Assos looks just like Captain Scarlet uniform.

(is it bad that I quite like that look ?)
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I had the rapha wind jacket on a 30 day trial and took it to the Alps a few weeks ago. When I came home I sent it back. Why?

It doesn't breath well so if it's not raining then you very quickly start to boil.
    It's not waterproof so if it really starts pouring down you soon get wet.
    The one place it excelled was long cool descents but there are none of those in the UK so it's effectivley useless.

The Rapha winter Jersey is perfect for cool days it has windproof panels at the front and is breathable. It also has two vent zips at the front if you start to get warm. It's my goto item when temps drop to single figures. Perfect for the UK. Pack a rain jacket if rain is forecast and you are done.

Paul
  • PaulMon wrote:
    I had the rapha wind jacket on a 30 day trial and took it to the Alps a few weeks ago. When I came home I sent it back. Why?

It doesn't breath well so if it's not raining then you very quickly start to boil.
    It's not waterproof so if it really starts pouring down you soon get wet.
    The one place it excelled was long cool descents but there are none of those in the UK so it's effectivley useless.

The Rapha winter Jersey is perfect for cool days it has windproof panels at the front and is breathable. It also has two vent zips at the front if you start to get warm. It's my goto item when temps drop to single figures. Perfect for the UK. Pack a rain jacket if rain is forecast and you are done.

Paul

I was going to get one of their winter jerseys - then was recommended to get a Gabba which I find is perfect for colder rides and it has the added bonus of being decent in the rain too.
  • Carbonator wrote:

That's a fair point & guess it's down to individual taste really.

I like my Rapha jacket (s) & their zips but do understand it's not to everyone's tastes. Would add though don't be put off by their photos but take their products on their merits, the brand quality and returns/repair service etc.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Rapha Pro Team Jacket for me when its a bit chilly. I also have the classic winter jersey, this is for the depths of winter in my opinion.
    The Rapha Pro Team Jersey is breathable, the front is windproof and also somewhat waterproof, but if the weather looks like it could be wet I take out a Castelli Rain Cape rolled into the back pocket.

Rapha are selling an image, but that's their sales device, surely they have to adopt a marketing strategy? They've adopted for the cool Italian cycling look albeit a bit hipster thrown in for good measure.

I get a fair amount of stick for wearing Rapha from my cycling buddies, but the thing is, its damn comfortable gear.

OP have a look at the Pro Team Jacket if you can, this might be the solution to your breathability concerns.
  • Thanks for your suggestions. I ordered both jackets and although the rapha had the better cut, style, comfort (especially the lycra cuffs) I felt the £130 extra could be put to better use. Incidentally I don't like the cosmo much either, maybe it's because I'm comparing it to the rapha...
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I'm a big Rapha user and I sent the classic wind jacket back, opting for the pro team race cape which is a really good piece of kit.

But I also have an Assos 851 Air Jacket, that gets a huge huge recommendation from me. Really good, breathable, piece of kit.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.