First real road bike- Wilier Cento 1sr

steoroc
steoroc Posts: 37
edited October 2014 in Your road bikes
I cycled a beat up Raleigh 10 speed for years. Eventually it almost fell apart from abuse and had to be put down. Last year I bought a Giant Roam hybrid and fell in love with cycling again so there was only one thing to do and that was convince herself I needed a proper road bike.
She agreed to it!!! And then warned me not to come back in 6 months looking for a better one so
so seeing as I wasn't going to get many chances I went straight for the dream machine.

Straight out of the box. 2zirpcw.jpg

Seatpost cut and custom saddle fitted.35jm1c5.jpg

Obligatory scenic shot.9kmlxy.jpg

I can't begin to describe how happy I am with it. It's light, stiff, comfortable, accelerates like I'm on drugs and corners like it's on rails.
I got plenty of advice telling me I should get a second hand road bike or maybe a low spec halfords or giant defy. I'm so glad I didn't listen. Love it love it love it.

Comments

• Where's that last picture taken? Great bike by the way.
  • Nice, always fancied a Wilier
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • @ David: I saw the bike a while ago and got a very quick spin and was just blown away both looks and ride but I put it to the back of my mind as it was way out of my price range. I looked at a few other bikes but there's just something about Wilier that kept drawing me in. I wanted a bike that was light but didn't have to be super light. I wanted race geometry and stiffness but also wanted comfort. The Cento 1 SR ticked all the boxes. I made a few enquiries and then I got an incredible quote from Math Salden in the Netherlands and that was pretty much that.

@Bluemoon: Pic is near Lough Talt, County Sligo, Ireland- my homeplace
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Nice, always fancied a Wilier
    so did I :) - great choice of frame OP
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • LinkD
    LinkD Posts: 30
    OP, I've been toying with the idea of buying a cervelo from Math Salden and therefore i'd be grateful if you could give me some feedback about Math Salden and if buying a bike abroad is a 'hassle free' process? You mentioned an 'incredible quote', so i'm assuming you were able to knock a bit more off the already very attractive prices? Though after the 20% VAT and 15% import tax i'm assuming you didn't make that much of a saving?

Many thanks
  • steoroc
    steoroc Posts: 37
    You're assuming wrong ;) The price included VAT and there's no import duty from the Netherlands to Ireland. I was quoted over €4000 for the bike here in Ireland, it was £3750 stg from the UK. I had it bought and delivered from Math Salden for €2509.
    I contacted them through the chat box on their website and had plenty of communication with them. They answered every question promptly and the bike was assembled and delivered just over a week after paying for it. I'd highly recommend them.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I have bought a bike from Math Salden too - they are great
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Looks good. I can't find fault in my Wilier - the most comfortable, easy to ride, responsive and efficient bike I have ever ridden. If I smashed it up (god forbid) I would get another one without hesitation.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!