'Go Sober challenge' dilemma

briantrumpet
briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
So, how should I phrase it? A friend asks me if I'll sponsor them for the "Go Sober Challenge". If it really is a challenge, should I be suggesting that their relationship with alcohol might be rather too intimate, and they'd be better off asking for professional guidance? Or if they can stop easily, should I point out that it's not really a challenge then?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Politely decline, but offer to buy them a drink.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'm doing it. Because I drink FAR too much. Was suggested by my doc and my coach. Otherwise I'd just think eff it and reach for the booze.
    You're right though. It's a challenge to me due to my relationship with booze. Otherwise it's not really a challenge is it?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • briantrumpet
    I guess that if it prompts someone to reassess their relationship with alcohol, I shouldn't grumble. But when one hears how much they are looking forward to the end of the month so that they can return to their abusive/abused friend, the last thing I am going to do is sponsor them.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    ffs, don't let matth see this thread - he'll have a bloody coronary.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    Oh, and good for you, NapD. Sometimes a spur is needed to make a life-changing decision.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    I had a malt whilst considering my participation.

I concluded that I couldn't be bothered participating, nor sponsoring.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    ffs, don't let matth see this thread - he'll have a bloody coronary.

:lol:

I have considered it and if my final assignment had been due on the 1st of November I would have honestly done it, but as its due next Friday - there is a whole load of drinking to catch up on :)
  • When I get plagued weekly in work to sponsor some plump middle aged lady I barely know to waddle round 5k then a month off booze seems quite a feat in comparison.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    I dont know how people can do an endurance sport and drink a lot. Last thing I want to have is a skin full of beer on the back of a week riding 200 miles.
  • tlw1
    Overlord2 wrote:
    I dont know how people can do an endurance sport and drink a lot. Last thing I want to have is a skin full of beer on the back of a week riding 200 miles.

It's all about the training, you can't ride 200 miles without it and you can't combine it with a skin full without it :)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    matthew h wrote:
    Overlord2 wrote:

It's all about the training, you can't ride 200 miles without it and you can't combine it with a skin full without it :)
    If you did a 'Go Sober' challenge we could probably eliminate world poverty with the sponsorship money :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Overlord2 wrote:

If you did a 'Go Sober' challenge we could probably eliminate world poverty with the sponsorship money :wink:

What about those working in the alcohol industry who's jobs would be affected
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    matthew h wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    Overlord2 wrote:

What about those working in the alcohol industry who's jobs would be affected
    True, we don't want a spike in umployment so soon before a general election.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Overlord2 wrote:

I did my first century a couple of months back, after drinking 2 bottles of wine the night before.

Admittedly it was slow and painful!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    barrowmatt wrote:
    Overlord2 wrote:

I did my first century a couple of months back, after drinking 2 bottles of wine the night before.

Admittedly it was slow and painful!

Indeed, when it's every night its the norm. I've even had some good race results this year, funnily enough mainly in evening races...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    For the OP, why not just agree to sponsor them but ask if they'll reciprocate as you are taking part too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ukiboy
    ukiboy Posts: 891
    Overlord2 wrote:

Alternatively, how about just doing a 20 mile week; then you can hit your quota of ten pints a day :D
    Outside the rat race and proud of it
  • The trick is not to mix the grape and the grain. One of the worst days of my life on a bike was due to whisky after red wine the previous evening. I thought I was going to die, and halfway through I was praying I would.

But a few drinks before a ride, or the night before? No problem.

This stoptober thing is made up by puritans. Tell 'em you're not interested. Or ask them if they would like to sponsor your drinking :wink:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    The trick is not to mix the grape and the grain. One of the worst days of my life on a bike was due to whisky after red wine the previous evening. I thought I was going to die, and halfway through I was praying I would.

But a few drinks before a ride, or the night before? No problem.

This stoptober thing is made up by puritans. Tell 'em you're not interested. Or ask them if they would like to sponsor your drinking :wink:

Spot on if I drink beer and whiskey I'm fine next day, beer and wine .. Ouch
    Moderation, enjoy, days off the booze ride as much poss life's to short to spend it worrying
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Would you sponsor someone not to catch an STD? Likely not.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • tlw1
    type:epyt wrote:
    Would you sponsor someone not to catch an STD? Likely not.

depends, if they were a chav and it would make them infertile - I could be doing the world a favour
  • pblakeney
    Overlord2 wrote:
    You sir, require more training.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • So, how should I phrase it? A friend asks me if I'll sponsor them for the "Go Sober Challenge". If it really is a challenge, should I be suggesting that their relationship with alcohol might be rather too intimate, and they'd be better off asking for professional guidance? Or if they can stop easily, should I point out that it's not really a challenge then?
    Just sponsor him you tight git.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Overlord2 wrote:
    I've done 200+ miles in a day on the back of several pints of real ale the evening before. Man up. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Overlord2 wrote:
    I've done 200+ miles in a day on the back of several pints of real ale the evening before. Man up. :D

So that's why you are called Frank the tank - you always tank up before a ride.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    Hmm, not quite sure I was intending this to be a list of people's drinking exploits... but do carry on.
  • In days of yore, didn't they used to drink wine in the TdF to "anaesthetise" themselves from the pain of a climb? Therefore, drinking a skinful the night before makes perfect sense to me.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I got an email from someone i only sort of know doing it. It was a group email with about 30 others included so wrote the following response:

Many thanks for your request for sponsorship, so i can gauge how much i should donate could you answer the following questions:

What is your average daily consumption in units:
    Why do you drink?
    How long have you been on this path of self destruction?
    Does your partner (if applicable) know you have a problem?
    Do you drink on your own?

Would you like me to send you the details of AA?

I got the response:
    F*** Off, i only drink occasionally when I am out, its for a good cause!
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • pblakeney
    simonhead wrote:
    I got the response:
    F*** Off, i only drink occasionally when I am out, its for a good cause!
    0/10 of effort on his part.
    0/10 of contribution on your part.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    So, how should I phrase it? A friend asks me if I'll sponsor them for the "Go Sober Challenge". If it really is a challenge, should I be suggesting that their relationship with alcohol might be rather too intimate, and they'd be better off asking for professional guidance? Or if they can stop easily, should I point out that it's not really a challenge then?

If your friend is a Muslim it's reasonable to suspect he's taking the p!$$.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er