wilier triestina beware not serious not warranty

sarafo21
sarafo21 Posts: 12
edited October 2014 in Road general
Hello, I'm a member of http://www.foromtb.com since the early years ,the most important spanish cycling forum.I write from Spain to talk about the problem with Wilier Triestina bike brand ( sorry about my bad english).
I have a Wilier Cento 1 frame bought in 2010. This year I discovered I can remove with the nail!! the first layer of paint, carbon/epoxi.It's hard for believe,but this is real true.This part has and important corrosion masked with the paint .I called the shop in the first time and I was suprised they said me there was no warranty ( Wilier has and 5 years extra warranty). They wanted to send the frame for paying his carbon repair service ( this shop is 1000km far my city).I sent and email to Wilier Triestina and an man called Claudio ( I understand he is family owner) said me I don't have warranty.He know there is a problem but I bought the frame in 2010 but the frame was made in 2009.All apologies for non replacement frame.
I threatened with and official claim and then, a man called Sr. André ( spanish Wilier dealer) called me to talk about a special offer " in a few days". This was in june.In the final of July he didn't call me and I sent a message.He said " I'm in France, I will call you". Finally in august he didn't call me and I talked with Sr. Claudio and Mr.André to say what kind of brand they are.Sr Claudio said me all was a misunderstanding because I have no warranty.I realized all was a false intention to stop the claim.
This kind of brand and people of Wilier Triestina and the shop,are " carbon mercenaries" and they doesn't make frame in Italy (China and Taiwan).They make beautifull paint designs and then put a lot of Italy romance ( flags,family quality business,tradition,road race history......).

Then,investing about my problem I discovered more people with problems with this brand and all told me about negative with the customer care.In other serious shop told me " this unserious brands always join with bad shops. I sell Trek and Specialized a lot because they are serious and people always wants a good warranty and customer care".Talking with people with Wilier problems they said me that in a warranty problems they try to sell you a frame with 30% of regular price discount ( what a bargain!!!).

Now I can say this review is true.I would add more things about the quality matched under the paint in Wilier frames:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -09-34941/

This is my post in Foromtb:
http://www.foromtb.com/threads/cuidado- ... r.1151755/

Sorry about my long post.My idea is making a similar post in the most important world bike forums (all forum names suggest are wellcome).In the final, I will suggest you buying serious brands like Trek,Specialized,Giant,Orbea,Canyon,........ I don't have relationship with a brand but in the carbon era all of us are paying a lot of money for a plastic bike made in Asia and the warranty is very important because there are carbon bike problems in the life of the bike.
I will not buy a Wilier in the future and only serious lifetime warranty brand.Avoid buying " carbon mercenaries" .

Comments

• Great first post.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    lol...another first post epic.
  • Yes, That's similar like Foromtb in Spain.Probably is not the best first entry in a Forum,sorry about that but I a lot
    "burned" with Wilier brand.The worst experience I have seen in my cycling life ( since 1992 I ride seriously).
    My purchase advise to potential Wilier buyers: " buy only serious brands with lifetime warranty"
  • And yet my 2010 Izoard continues to roll on effortlessly and problem free despite being ridden by a journo for the first 6 months of it's life and a gorilla (me) since.

Disappointing support tale but I can't imagine ATB (UK Wilier distributor) ever treating anyone like that.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    I have a Izoard XP (2013) and, as he liked the look of mine,my mate bought a GTR (2014)

He noticed a small defect in the carbon/paint, took a photo and e-mailed to the shop he bought it from. The defect was really, really small and looked much worse on the photo than "in real life". (I'd challenge anyone to find it and, even to my untrained eye, it didn't look like a problem)

The shop contacted Wilier. Wilier assured my mate that there was nothing to worry about structurally but accepted it was less than perfect. They then offered two things. They would take the bike back and replace the whole frame or he could have some "kit" and the assurance that, should there ever be a problem due to this, they would replace the frame.

My mate (obviously) opted for the latter and got Wilier branded bib shorts, jersey, mitts and socks for his inconvenience.

I'm chuffed to bits with my bike as is my mate.

I'd struggle to see how they could have been fairer than that.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • That's the way of customer care a serious brand would do but In my experience this may be because in UK there is a serious Wilier dealer that make a good customer job.If he ( the dealer) buys a lot of bikes in the Wilier factory they have always a special care with that dealer.If the UK dealer don't buy and sell a lot of bikes I think he will know the real face of that brand.

In my experience the Wilier person who reply me , called Claudio, didn't take a look at my problem, cycling interest, customer care......
    The Spanish dealer called Andre gave me a false promise.
    The shop did the same ( this shop has a bad notoriety)
    I will not write all I think about this people ( is a public forum) ,Wilier and spanish connection.
    Now, I know what kind of brands come from Italy.They make production out of Italy,put the italian flag and have very bad customer care.

Talking with a seriuos dealer, he told me bad cycling brands ( like Wilier) always match with pirate dealers and shops.I think in UK there are serious dealers and those kind of brands have to do what the dealer say.
  • So, how much for your bike...?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Almost all brands manufacture their frames in the Far East. Next time buy a Sarto if it bothers you.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I have a Wilier Dixie. Brilliant but must admit the paintwork is lousy.
  • no problem with either my current 2013 zero.7, nor my (now sold) 2010 mortirolo. As I bought both second hand I have no warranty at all.
    TBH I don't think you can expect much after 4 years from any manufacturer, be that a bike, car, TV, fridge etc...I think 3 years is kind of the typical cover one should expect.
    Wilier do offer an extended warranty on new frames, but this probably wasn't around when the OP bought his.
    Wilier Zero.7 Chorus
  • sarafo21 wrote:

Talking with a seriuos dealer, he told me bad cycling brands ( like Wilier) always match with pirate dealers and shops.I think in UK there are serious dealers and those kind of brands have to do what the dealer say.

So, in summary, you are saying that Wilier are a bad brand, employ bad distributors who have equally bad retail networks. And you're saying this despite people telling you that their distributor in the UK is excellent and the retailers in the UK are equally good. That doesn't really add up does it.

Without knowing their side of the story all we've got is that you've had a problem, it hasn't been sorted out (by a dealer that you have admitted has a dreadful reputation - so why buy from him?) to your satisfaction and you're going to rubbish their name on the internet as a result. It's an interesting plan and I wish you luck with it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thank you for your answers.I have put some pictures of my new rainy days bike,without Wilier brand sponsor (they thought I will be going to sponsor them). It's a shame paying about 4000e for a bike to waste time and sponsor a italian pirate brand.
  • Grill
    sarafo21 wrote:
    Thank you for your answers.I have put some pictures of my new rainy days bike,without Wilier brand sponsor (they thought I will be going to sponsor them). It's a shame paying about 4000e for a bike to waste time and sponsor a italian pirate brand.

Congratulations. I can assure you that no one here feels sorry for your or cares what you do with your bike.
  • Grill wrote:
    sarafo21 wrote:
    Thank you for your answers.I have put some pictures of my new rainy days bike,without Wilier brand sponsor (they thought I will be going to sponsor them). It's a shame paying about 4000e for a bike to waste time and sponsor a italian pirate brand.

Congratulations. I can assure you that no one here feels sorry for your or cares what you do with your bike.

+1
  • Grill wrote:
    sarafo21 wrote:

I don't care what you do with your bikes too,and people the same like me.Probably you think you are a pro ( I didn't say I was an amateur road racing in a next pro level 2000' era.I know what it's a sponsor).
    Good luck with your sponsors
  • Grill
    Clearly a language barrier issue. A 'sponsor' is someone who compensates you to promote their product. You paid for your Wilier therefor they are not a sponsor. They are simply the brand of the bike you happen to ride. You have no contractual obligation towards them so if you don't like them just get another bike. You could get a Pinarello, Colnago or Bianchi, but guess what? They're all manufactured in Taiwan as well.
    If you had registered your bike within 10 days of purchase it would still be under warranty and have recourse. Your lack of foresight is the issue, not Wilier's service.
  • I don't have a language barrier issue ( probably you studied in a private school ).I have readen your answers in my post, all destructive and you don't understand what I'm showing in the forum.European Comunity Warranty is the same and registering the bike by the shop ( first) and then by the customer must be said by the brand,dealer and shop.This is always bad intention from a not serious brand.My bike is "legal" bike,not a copy or chinese replica.We are talking about what kind of brand is ( here, in Spain?) Wilier.
    I write in a foreign forum to know more and advise people about this issue.Putting the brand logos ( Wilier) in black people can see it's only a regular carbon frame.
    I think you are in love with the brand stickers and who knows if with Wilier sales.I know what it's a sponsor because I had to ride team brands.
    If you don't care about me and my bike I do the same but people can see this post and make their own vision . probably there are riders going to buy a 4000 euros bike or more looking for the best customer care.They can think what they will want,they will buy what they will want.I only advise them with an important issue.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have a Wilier. I know others with Wiliers. Have they had problems with them or the importers? No. I suggest your issue is one closer to home and not with Wilier.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Grill
    sarafo21 wrote:
    I don't have a language barrier issue ( probably you studied in a private school ).I have readen your answers in my post, all destructive and you don't understand what I'm showing in the forum.European Comunity Warranty is the same and registering the bike by the shop ( first) and then by the customer must be said by the brand,dealer and shop.This is always bad intention from a not serious brand.My bike is "legal" bike,not a copy or chinese replica.We are talking about what kind of brand is ( here, in Spain?) Wilier.
    I write in a foreign forum to know more and advise people about this issue.Putting the brand logos ( Wilier) in black people can see it's only a regular carbon frame.
    I think you are in love with the brand stickers and who knows if with Wilier sales.I know what it's a sponsor because I had to ride team brands.
    If you don't care about me and my bike I do the same but people can see this post and make their own vision . probably there are riders going to buy a 4000 euros bike or more looking for the best customer care.They can think what they will want,they will buy what they will want.I only advise them with an important issue.

EU goods warranty is only two years, so you're still out.

Yes we are talking about the same Wilier. Read what I've said in two posts now. Almost all Italian bikes are manufactured in Taiwan or China. This includes Wilier as well as the other brands I mentioned (among others). There is to hung wrong with that and it doesn't mean they're trying to fool you, it's just the nature of manufacturing these days. Take a look at Orbea. They're a Spanish brand. Their bikes are all made in China. Does that mean that they're lying to customers? No, so grow up.

The facts:
    1. You have a 4 year old Wilier
    2. 5 year warranty is only good if you register the bike, which you did not. EU goods warranty is 2 years.
    3. You discovered a possible defect with your frame.
    4. Wilier tells you you're out of warranty. They are correct.
    5. You tell them they are bad people and that they're cheating people because their frames aren't manufactured in Italy.
    6. The vast majority of frames from Italian companies are manufactured in the Far East. You have trouble processing this information.
    7. You cover your logos because you think Wilier owe you something. They do not.
    8. You whine on the internet because you feel hard done. No one sides with you.

Think I covered the basics...
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Grill. Seriously just stop.

He's got his fingers in his ears.
  • Grill
    Just waiting for the footie to start :P
  • Grill wrote:
    sarafo21 wrote:
    I don't have a language barrier issue ( probably you studied in a private school ).I have readen your answers in my post, all destructive and you don't understand what I'm showing in the forum.European Comunity Warranty is the same and registering the bike by the shop ( first) and then by the customer must be said by the brand,dealer and shop.This is always bad intention from a not serious brand.My bike is "legal" bike,not a copy or chinese replica.We are talking about what kind of brand is ( here, in Spain?) Wilier.

EU goods warranty is only two years, so you're still out.

Yes we are talking about the same Wilier. Read what I've said in two posts now. Almost all Italian bikes are manufactured in Taiwan or China. This includes Wilier as well as the other brands I mentioned (among others). There is to hung wrong with that and it doesn't mean they're trying to fool you, it's just the nature of manufacturing these days. Take a look at Orbea. They're a Spanish brand. Their bikes are all made in China. Does that mean that they're lying to customers? No, so grow up.

The facts:
    1. You have a 4 year old Wilier
    2. 5 year warranty is only good if you register the bike, which you did not. EU goods warranty is 2 years.
    3. You discovered a possible defect with your frame.
    4. Wilier tells you you're out of warranty. They are correct.
    5. You tell them they are bad people and that they're cheating people because their frames aren't manufactured in Italy.
    6. The vast majority of frames from Italian companies are manufactured in the Far East. You have trouble processing this information.
    7. You cover your logos because you think Wilier owe you something. They do not.
    8. You whine on the internet because you feel hard done. No one sides with you.

Think I covered the basics...

You forgot this;
    - Claudio from Wilier and André spanish dealer promised me one replacement option.They didn't make it.All false email and telephone calls ( and messages). It will be interesting they will write in this forum about this promise.When I said them the kind of people they are ( false) they didn't answer.
    - A serious brand doesn't make 2 years warranty and then complete 5 years ( why?) and with a customer problem they said you are out. Yes,I bought the bike in a official dealer,shop a and brand.
    When people will think about buying a top end bike I will wait they will not buy brands without good warranty .Willier has the worst. Please,think about 2 years and then + 5 .You know why.
    Orbea manufactures a lot of bikes in their factory, the Pais Vasque factory with the best quality abd customer care and warranty ( I know it). A wrong idea not buying Orbea or Trek.
    If you have 4000euros please, buy Wilier ( probably you are very interested in it or people buying Wilier.Why?).
  • philthy3 wrote:
    I have a Wilier. I know others with Wiliers. Have they had problems with them or the importers? No. I suggest your issue is one closer to home and not with Wilier.

This is one post you will found about bad Wilier warranty and other post ( fisures,bad paint,fade colours....):

http://www.foromtb.com/threads/garantia ... eo.750179/

other customers ( I write in foromtb since 2006 and I make cyclocross reviews).
    I know other customers with Wilier problems and the same shop ( only an example).
  • Grill
    Pinarello is 2 years (3 if you register)
    Colnago is 2 years (3 if you register)
    Scott is 2 years (5 if you register)
    Shall I go on?

Claudio and Andre probably assumed you had registered the frame. You didn't Your fault. Either that or this is simply another example of Spanish customer service at its finest.

Some Orbeas are made in Spain, but not all. Does that make them less Spanish if you happen to own a Chinese made model?

I don't want a Wiler, so I didn't buy one. I do own both Italian and Taiwanese carbon frames. Oh and I registered them so I have a longer warranty period.

Only an hour left until kick-off, so not much time to dig your hole deeper.

I have no interest in buying a Wilier, but not for any of the reasons you have stated.
  • lawrences wrote:
    Grill. Seriously just stop.

He's got his fingers in his ears.

I clean my ears every day,free from dust and the fingers in the handlebar.
  • Grill wrote:
    Pinarello is 2 years (3 if you register)
    Colnago is 2 years (3 if you register)
    Scott is 2 years (5 if you register)
    Shall I go on?

Claudio and Andre probably assumed you had registered the frame. You didn't Your fault. Either that or this is simply another example of Spanish customer service at its finest.

Some Orbeas are made in Spain, but not all. Does that make them less Spanish if you happen to own a Chinese made model?

I don't want a Wiler, so I didn't buy one. I do own both Italian and Taiwanese carbon frames. Oh and I registered them so I have a longer warranty period.

Only an hour left until kick-off, so not much time to dig your hole deeper.

I have no interest in buying a Wilier, but not for any of the reasons you have stated.

Please, Only listen to me again. I don't write and speak english very well, I try to do the best with the beautifull shakespeare language ( I like it so much).Probably I don't explain it good.
    Claudio from Wilier wrote: I understand your problem.....bla,bla,bla. The dealer ( Claudio sent a message ) made me a false promise.What would you think about this?.
    All it's about only reason.They want to sell frames and try to replace the less ( by warranty).
    You ride bikes,I ride bikes and all spend a lot of money in this sport.The brands have the last word about the warranty.Ok, We will advise the potential customers.I don't want people with this kind of problems.
    The last, Wilier knows they sold a lot of frames with paint and finish problem ( I have seen it in foromtb).
    It's better make false promises.
    I will like Claudio and André talking about this promise.
  • Grill
    The dealer made the (unconfirmed) promise. This is an issues with your LBS, not Wilier.
  • Grill wrote:
    The dealer made the (unconfirmed) promise. This is an issues with your LBS, not Wilier.

Claudio is one of the main stuff in Wilier factory ( André told me he was the son boss). The dealer André called me because Claudio told him.Then the false promise history ( Claudio knowed it because I said it).
    It's difficult to believe a brand makes this but they always said to me they are a little high quality brand with cycling passion, etc........ words, words,......
    Finally the problem is from Wilier,then the dealer and then the shop,I prefer not talking about this kind of shop.
    I was talking about this with a serious dealear and shop and he didn't see in his cycling life.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Sarofo21,

Clearly you are not British, hence you will struggle to fully understand the responses on here. You have not made yourself popular on here with your first post. As a result you may find that you are being baited for a response. If I was you I would not post on this matter again, you are not likely to get the response you want.
This discussion has been closed.