Apple Five

@lexD
@lexD Posts: 340
edited February 2015 in Your mountain bikes
After selling my mega and getting the rocket order cancellation letter from Cotic I found myself in the terrible position of NO BIKE! :shock:

So when I came across this frame I had to have it to put my 26" parts to good use :D

1782BD45-C42A-4A70-9B62-81E83C95239D.jpg

Build will start over the next week or so and yes I have turned 40 so I am eligible to own one :P

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Good man, you know it makes sense.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Probably my favourite colour Orange do, nice and bright!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Purple rims seem to be popular with green Five frames.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    You found one then? I have been looking for you too! Never saw this one though! Looks nice!

Enjoy it! I bloody love mine!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    love that colour!
  • baz4388
    baz4388 Posts: 13
    Love the colour and have to agree purple rims and hub would look good with the green.
  • @lexD
    Couldn't find any pics when I googled it. Purple hope hubs no brainer but what rim would people go for out of interest?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    @lexD wrote:
    After selling my mega and getting the rocket order cancellation letter from Cotic I found myself in the terrible position of NO BIKE! :shock:

why did they cancel your order?
  • @lexD
    POAH wrote:
    @lexD wrote:

why did they cancel your order?

They have faced delay after delay setting up the UK production factory so they decided rather than piss the customers with missed deadlines they cancelled all preorders until they have the frames ready to ship. Why they could get another order made in Taiwan I don't know???

My view is they have used this as an opportunity to kill the 26" version and they will just go ahead and release 29er version they have been using in the enduro series and maybe a 27.5 model later.
    I have only been waiting a few months but some people have been waiting 18 months :shock:

So after looking for a rocket second hand and failing miserably to secure a decent one I settled on the five which I have always had a soft spot for.
  • I've got a set of Purple Pro 2 evos for sale. 3 months old. Around 200 miles use. We're used on my orange alpine. De stickered flow ex rims. £250 posted. These are the 40t version. Pm me if intetested
  • Nice 5, will be spot on when it's done.
    @lexD wrote:
    They have faced delay after delay setting up the UK production factory so they decided rather than wee-wee the customers with missed deadlines they cancelled all preorders until they have the frames ready to ship. Why they could get another order made in Taiwan I don't know???

Think the whole bike manufacturing uk thing has all fallen into a bit of a shambles from reading on STW. No money coming in as things were taking too long.

Si openly admitted if he had known how long things would take he would have ordered at least another batch of Taiwanese manufactured Rockets.

It's a real shame as the Rocket always gets some good reviews but it's been a nightmare for them.
  • Nice 5, will be spot on when it's done.
    @lexD wrote:
    They have faced delay after delay setting up the UK production factory so they decided rather than wee-wee the customers with missed deadlines they cancelled all preorders until they have the frames ready to ship. Why they could get another order made in Taiwan I don't know???

Think the whole bike manufacturing uk thing has all fallen into a bit of a shambles from reading on STW. No money coming in as things were taking too long.

Si openly admitted if he had known how long things would take he would have ordered at least another batch of Taiwanese manufactured Rockets.

It's a real shame as the Rocket always gets some good reviews but it's been a nightmare for them.

Rick

I dont want to hijack this guys thread but I'm not sure what shambles means, this was explained on another thread, i am not part of Cotic however there are things which are not in the Public domain, BML was a seperate company it only very lately became apparent that one of the directors does not now have the survival of the company as a priority, but before it was not flavour of the month and seemed to lose its pet project staus the forum and fans well done Cy sentiment and slap on the back didnt go unnoticed

I have only got BML to rely on, i have to make it work wheras others can quite literally swan off and earn a living from their other companies, i too could go and earn upwards of 1.5k a week to support my missus and kid but was told this was not an option

i have not earned a great deal (nor would you expect to in a start up) from day one ,my partner has largely supported me for over 12 months and i have had help from the company to the tune of 6k in 18 months iirc from the accounts i was given ,but it did come to light after seeing various accountants all was not set to work in my favour regardless of how long it took, for example i pointed out that we could make profit and keep the company alive by making other products as opposed to continuing with all our eggs in one basket and this was initially dismissed, it was only when the company did actually need to ie the shit hit the fan when there was no more money the idea was heard but by this time the good will was gone, ironically just as we produced the first two front triangles, one of which exceed double the CEN test and that was one i told mr turner was not to be sent to test as i didnt consider it even production worthy,

One of the things that has dragged it out was i worked on my own and literally did every job in the Unit when an external vendor let us down i would have to adapt and reconfigure and redesign or find out a production method this was true right up to even powder coat we couldnt even get the right finish , an external supplier tells Cy we can do X Y and Z, when i turn up to see how this is going to happen it turns out the company cant offer or is now sayin X Y or Z is off the agenda ,so again i have to step up to the plate and I'm now painting frames .

I have had to fund several projects to keep the company afloat for the past month we have a new narrow wide chainring which has been independantly tested and wears significantly harder than every other UK made ring out there and has a very clever computer designed tooth profile and we are selling other equipment to framebuilders

there have been talks to continue with the rockets ,they are fromidable in their construction but i think the divide between BML and its 50 percent other shareholder has become too wide and he has admitted no interest, so if BML can survive it can still produce world beating products which are unique which is actually what the set up was all about not just build frames for Cy and companies who dont see him as the competition before they talk to us

hope that helps chief and of course you are only getting my side of it here buit in all honesty if BML closed tomorrow the support and requests i have had from others in the industry ,i would set up again tomorrow on my own the difference is as an engineer im quite open and honest about it whereas a lot of the PR stuff that goes on behind the scenes is just bollocks ,if the companies going to shit i think its a better policy to say it out loud than leave folks guessing ,but to be honest theres stuff we can do that makes it viable
  • @lexD
    Thank you Mike for your input, there is always 2 sides to a story and only you and Cy know the full picture.
    It is a shame the british built rocket project didn't come fruition as it is a cracking frame.
    I hope you can reconcile your differences and I wish you and BML well with your future projects.
  • @lexD
    Back to the Five build......

The reverb post from the mega was a 31.6 diameter so wouldn't fit the orange being 30.9. So a new outer tube was ordered with a service kit at a grand total of £35 quid delivered!
    I couldn't believe how easy this was to convert only took 15 mins and was clearly cheaper than buying a new one.
    I also took advantage of the pike deal from Alltricks very quick delivery.

Couple of dodge phone pics i will post some better ones in the next couple of days.
    EF8416CF-E5AA-403E-883A-B1E7E96EDAA6.jpg
    079EC393-1864-4B49-94BD-89A376119F03.jpg
    F1EBA29D-BBBA-476F-98DE-B5D9D493E0F5.jpg

F058123C-36E4-4D91-A5A6-B01B50EB94BE.jpg
    EE5098B1-6C1D-4B68-A38A-2376EB7300E2.jpg
    20F4C35C-1222-46E7-B6EE-20AC4E74234B.jpg
  • @lexD
    Made the decision to replace the fox float rear shock and many thanks to Matt-R8 for personally delivering this to me on Tuesday

84FD1706-D449-47C3-8D07-CA36FBBC3E9E.jpg

Quick weight comparison out of interest

76DA68C7-CB3A-431F-806C-D4CA00319C9B.jpg

CFCCA298-D887-4075-A9DE-86184C977FCE.jpg

I got the shock fitted and have put in the Hannah Barnes tune from the cane creek lounge in as a starting point. Hopefully will get out Sunday to test it out.
    9E66759A-27D2-4538-85C3-61151B372438.jpg
  • Hi,

Just seen your post......"WOW"... that's one stunning 5.

Steve
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • Fantastic ! Wish I was that handy ! We'll done the bike is a credit to you
  • An Apple product which doesn't have a 5 minute battery life or come with a free U2 album. Very nice.
  • The Hannah Barnes tune? Surely that tune works for someone her weight on a Yeti with associated suspension system - the single pivot on the Five and you must need different set ups?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Hannah Barnes tune? Surely that tune works for someone her weight on a Yeti with associated suspension system - the single pivot on the Five and you must need different set ups?

She used to ride for Orange :wink:
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Not bad for a first attempt :wink:

That's similar to the tyre setup Jared Graves has been seen running, how are you finding it, was thinking of something similar but with a 2.5 DHF and a 2.25 Ardent?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/jared-grav ... -2014.html

Must get some black graphics for mine.

She used to ride for Orange :wink:

Oh yeah - true dat!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • @lexD
    edited October 2014
    An Apple product which doesn't have a 5 minute battery life or come with a free U2 album. Very nice.

Very true and doesn't bend in your pocket :lol:
  • @lexD
    The Hannah Barnes tune? Surely that tune works for someone her weight on a Yeti with associated suspension system - the single pivot on the Five and you must need different set ups?

The tune came from the cane creek lounges when she was riding a five. I have obviously adjusted the sag for my bulk and added a volume spacer to reduce the amount of HSC required as a starting point as she used to run it wound right up.
  • @lexD
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Not bad for a first attempt :wink:

That's similar to the tyre setup Jared Graves has been seen running, how are you finding it, was thinking of something similar but with a 2.5 DHF and a 2.25 Ardent?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/jared-grav ... -2014.html

Must get some black graphics for mine.

It's nice and quick but can be a bit too tail happy.I switch to an ardent on the rear when things get more soggy. for my riding a 2.5 would be complete overkill.
  • @lexD
    Small update-

One up components rad cage to replace the mashed OEM

3c55ef918aef5cb995a2a68118412333.jpg

Quickly fitted after watching the great you tube installation video.

7193699D-781B-40FC-A22E-B97964657DF2.jpg

Think I need some pimp green jockey wheels to match......