That 'Top Gear' / Argentina / licence plate thing....

imposter2.0
imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
edited January 2015 in The cake stop
Massive coincidence - or absurd, crass attempt at trying to be clever?

Me - I'm going for option 2...

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Doesn't matter. Job done, massive publicity.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Oh well, not that concerned that we have upset the Argies
  • Hoooo......yeah! If they get uppity, we can bomb their asses and teach them a lesson.

Oh, wait.

F**in Clarkson, starting a fight. As said, all good publicity. It wasn't so long ago many dickheads were trying to get this aching arse of a human elected as PM. :roll:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • He did swear on the lives of his children, so it must be true...
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    It's a genuine number plate for a 1991 928

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
  • imposter2.0
    adamfo wrote:
    It's a genuine number plate for a 1991 928

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Doesn't mean the car wasn't selected for it's licence plate though.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    matthew h wrote:

Yeah, I think I'll manage to drop off tonight.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Ballysmate wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

Yeah, I think I'll manage to drop off tonight.
    +1

Invading British sovereign territory is a fair bit worse than taking the mickey out them for starting a fight and losing it badly.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    If only they reacted even more and just beaten the Top Gear team to a senseless pulp...
    oh well...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I suppose that no one with the letters GI in their number plate should drive through Spain either for fear of similar consequences.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    I once had a car with a plate that started 'H945...' I should really have gone to Germany in it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • This was obviously the BBC covering there arse early after other scandals.... why?....

because there's not a cat in hells chance nobody noticed the fact that :

A- Driving 1980's Sport Cars in Argentina
    B- Driving a 1980's Sport car with the reg H982 FKL (1982 Falklands)
    C- Clarkson driving that particular car.

Its obvious that was the in-joke that massively backfired and the BBC are covering for it.

Funny.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    At least they werent making racial slurs this time
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    It amazes me how much power JC has ammased at the BBC.

I'm no Argi fan but their people died so feelings will be high. It's a complete publicity stunt which we pay for and we pay a huge price. The money he made through bedder 6 was astonishing. In fact what went through the books as a direct benefit was staggering, the total would be mind blowing.
    Living MY dream.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    VTech wrote:

Indeed, nice to see you not bringing money into this thread, yet.
    VTech wrote:
    I'm no Argi fan but their people died so feelings will be high. It's a complete publicity stunt which we pay for and we pay a huge price. The money he made through bedder 6 was astonishing. In fact what went through the books as a direct benefit was staggering, the total would be mind blowing.

Oh, never mind.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Massive coincidence - or absurd, crass attempt at trying to be clever?

Me - I'm going for option 2...

Agree I'd go for 2. The output of the show has tried to use such lowbrow humour in a similar vein before
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Frankly Im amazed there isnt a higher management check in place to stop these kind of idiotic things happening
    I dont believe its a coincidence - essentially, once driving overly fast gas-guzzling cars has been shown as too infantile even for the topgear audience, all they have been left with is stunts that

a) Destroy a car in the most stupid way posible or,
    b) Set out to annoy as many of these foreign types as posible.

That being said, the one where they set fire to acaravan was f**King funny.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • VTech wrote:

It's like he's the new Jimmy Saville...

And we know how that ended, don't we children :roll:
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I'm surprised the BBC let them try to deny it. Fair enough if you want to resort to crass jokes like that, unfortunately the viewing public has demonstrated there's a market for it. But when it flies back in your face, don't try and stiff the license fee payers with a load of bare-faced lies. I guess they call it plausible deniability, but for me it's not plausible in the slightest, especially given the moronic things they've done before like the USA stars-and-stripes motorbike in Vietnam.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    It amazes me that a thread quickly descends into something that amazes someone to the extent that they are amazed.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    4kicks wrote:
    Frankly Im amazed there isnt a higher management check in place to stop these kind of idiotic things happening
    I dont believe its a coincidence - essentially, once driving overly fast gas-guzzling cars has been shown as too intellectual the topgear audience, all they have been left with is stunts that

a) Destroy a car in the most stupid way posible or,
    b) Set out to annoy as many of these foreign types as posible.

That being said, the one where they set fire to acaravan was f**King funny.

FTFY.

At least the cars are part of a constructive hobby/passion.

Wasn't the first Top Gear Special their attempt to drive to the North Pole? Despite the glaring hypocrisy and crassness of such an endeavour, at least that appeared to have a genuine sense of adventure. Now they're just glorified holidays packed with manufactured peril and covert racism.
  • imposter2.0
    VTech wrote:

Perhaps, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Andy Wilman (the producer) is probably the single most culpable individual in all of this (and previous episodes, too). The content is ultimately his responsibility, not Clarkson's.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Indeed, nice to see you not bringing money into this thread, yet.
    VTech wrote:

Oh, never mind.

My point was completely valid and only you were the one who bought money into it as a negative. Having said that, as I type im drinking wine in Italy as I do work that is hugely enjoyable and have the pleasure of being paid to do it so your jibe can't effect me. I feel sorry for people who must try and hurt others just to get a feeling of self worth. I get self worth through hard work and dedication.

Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Perhaps, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Andy Wilman (the producer) is probably the single most culpable individual in all of this (and previous episodes, too). The content is ultimately his responsibility, not Clarkson's.

I agree but knowing these guys and how the business (it's a show but the primary vision for top gear is a buisness) runs is for attention. Very little other reason. They manage to sell this globally and although I don't like it any more, there are millions that worship it. They have no reason to change a thing.
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    three-chickens.jpg
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I don't know about anyone else but I find it hugely encouraging to know that you don't even have to be able to spell "business" to be hugely successful* in it.

*allegedly
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    JC has transitioned from a powerfu motoring journalist into a self opinionated gob5hi7e, who gets away with it because the BBC are worried he'll hand over the rights to TG to the the highest bidder.

Richard Hammond turned into a n0b about 5 years ago and James May's transformation is almost complete.

I'm going out on a limb here…they would have picked Porsche's for that particular show because that just happened to be the marque that had that number plate or one 'good enough' to cause some kind of offence.

Maximum publicity now achieved they are guaranteed a good viewing figure once the program is aired. Job done for JC, he's now a million or so richer (but he'll always have pubes for hair).
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Stevo_666
    I think we offended the Argentines a lot more than Top Gear when we sent the Paras, Ghurkas and SAS down there in 1982. Although that time, they didn't actually set foot on Argentinean territory.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I sometimes get the feeling that we offend the rest of the world anyway just by the simple act of continuing to breathe.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I think we offended the Argentines a lot more than Top Gear when we sent the Paras, Ghurkas and SAS down there in 1982. Although that time, they didn't actually set foot on Argentinean territory.

Agreed. Although there are a few hundred Royal Marine Commando's reading 'Paras, Ghurkas and SAS' and mumbling "poofs" under their breath :lol:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • imposter2.0
    Coach H wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Agreed. Although there are a few hundred Royal Marine Commando's reading 'Paras, Ghurkas and SAS' and mumbling "poofs" under their breath :lol:

Not to mention the Scots & Welsh Guards....