Thruxton RTTC National Event?

gabrielevans
gabrielevans Posts: 100
edited October 2014 in Amateur race
Considering it. Looks interesting.

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Look at the videos online. It looks like a crit on TT bikes.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    okgo wrote:
    Look at the videos online. It looks like a crit on TT bikes.

Do you have link please?

Ruth
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • BeaconRuth
    Thanks for that. Not a great advert for time trialling is it?!

Haven't seen much in the way of publicity for the new national championship.

Ruth
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Christ that looks boring.
  • BeaconRuth
    It is a shame it doesn't have some inspiring backing music at the very least.
  • Well I suppose it's safe and you have an opportunity to pick your line and optimise your road position. Looked a bit windy...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Ha I rode this, the last section on the circuit is uphill through a chicane, and on this day was a full on headwind and a pretty cold spring morning despite being bright and sunny! I think I was doing a full 16mph into the chicane. Going into the back straight was another matter pushing upto 35 with ease (I'm a TT noob). Agree that TT's look dull on video though, but this was a great venue, and very safe for the whole field.
  • BeaconRuth
    stan1000 wrote:
    Agree that TT's look dull on video though, but this was a great venue, and very safe for the whole field.
    I'm with you on the potential of closed-circuit TTs like this - one of my favourite places to race was an airfield at Weston on the Green near Bicester. Flat and exposed but the opportunity for the purest, unadulterated TTing effort for the full 10 miles.

The CTT's new national championship event does seem to have attracted a quite large field which does show that there's an interest in doing TTs in such places - also, the TTs they did at Blenheim Palace for a few years were very popular, especially with novices.

It's just a shame that there's no effective marketing of time trialling and the elite time triallists seem to think that racing on busy dual carriageways is fine for the growth and future of the sport, which it clearly isn't. I believe the general cyclists' perception now is that the sport is very elitist - which is a massive shame given that all you really need is a bike and desire to go as fast as you can.

Ruth
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    FWIW the Bicester Millenium Tuesday evening club events at Weston on the Green were attracting up to 80 riders at the beginning of the season. And I see nearly 60 on the results for the last evening event in September.

Paul
  • I've done closed road TTs at Blenheim*, Thruxton, Goodwood, Castle Coombe, Brands Hatch, Bicester and they're all good fun. Difficult at those kinds of venues though because the cost is pretty high to use them, hence why this year we've only got Thruxton, Castle Coombe and Bicester. I think shorter closed road TTs would be fun and less of an organisational faff without a million riders.

We (RST Sport/Aero-Coach) will be at Thruxton next weekend in force, although rather unfortunately there is no team prize for either men or women which is atypical for a National Championships!

*awesome