Canyon Grand 29er sizing?

How Far is too Far
How Far is too Far Posts: 534
edited November 2014 in MTB beginners
Been riding road and CX bikes for ages and I am fancying a 29er for a bit of fun. A Canyon 29er hardtail seems to fit the bill for me but sizing is confusing.

I am 5'11" and normally ride a 56CM road bike, the size guide puts me on a medium Canyon but I am worried it will be too small. Anyone got one that can help?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At about average height, a medium sounds about right, I'm 5 9.5 and ride a small (16") and that is the size Canyons sizing calc puts me on, that said one suites one 5 11 won't always suite another.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Some say Canyons size up small. I emailed Canyon when I ordered mine as the PPS suggested a S but at 177cm I thought a M was more sensible. They agreed.
  • I have a Grand Canyon 29er. I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam. I ride mainly road, and whilst it's difficult to be sure what size your 56cm road bike is in comparison to my bikes (because of the many ways manufacturers measure them) for reference, my road bikes all have a 54cm virtual top tube. Canyon's PPS guide put me on a small, which I wondered about, but having spoken to Canyon UK, they confirmed the sizing, and having got the bike it is bob on. The UK guy said that some comments on the forums say their frames come up short, but they have now lengthened them slightly. By how much, I don't know.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    Been riding road and CX bikes for ages and I am fancying a 29er for a bit of fun. A Canyon 29er hardtail seems to fit the bill for me but sizing is confusing.

I am 5'11" and normally ride a 56CM road bike, the size guide puts me on a medium Canyon but I am worried it will be too small. Anyone got one that can help?

Thanks

Hi,
    I'm 5'11.5" and riding a 2013 Grand Canyon Al 8.9. My road bike is a 58 Cube which is approx. equivalent to a 56 Trek. The canyon is a great bike, I have ridden about 2300km (trail riding) and enjoy every spin. The saddle is well extended and the cockpit is compact without being too short. Be careful with sizing of current models as the reach on Grand Canyon AL versus the AL SLX is over 20mm. Enquire around locally to see if anyone has the one your considering that you could try for size.