Newbie In Halifax W.Y.

dazbobaby
dazbobaby Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
I'm a complete novice to bikes in general, but I got talked into a Specialized Myka (used) for my first bike. I was told not to buy a crap bike because I'd hate the bike and biking in general if I did.

Now the Myka is supposed to be a ladies bike, but I've never seen a ladies bike with a top bar like this:
IMG_0069.JPG
Plus myself and the bike seem to be a really good fit, I'm 6 feet nothing, and very long legged, which is supposed to make this bike a good match. Either way I'm happy with it. I could just do with a bit more speed on the road. Peddling like hell on the road and I can just reach 30mph (guesstimate)

Aside from one problem, the 7 speed shifter disintegrated after a very bumpy 1½ mile downhill ride, it's been faultless. New shifters are coming tomorrow.

But why I joined this forum is to ask if anyone knows of a really good bike track around Halifax West Yorkshire, I've loved the rides I've been on, but I'd also like to be a bit more adventurous.

Comments

• Hi and welcome to the forum
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ladies mountain bikes have subtly different geometry, usually a different saddle and grips as well, they don't use dropped top tubes or have whisker baskets....that said if it fits you, it fits you.

Welcome to the forum.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dazbobaby wrote:
    But why I joined this forum is to ask if anyone knows of a really good bike track around Halifax West Yorkshire, I've loved the rides I've been on, but I'd also like to be a bit more adventurous.

Loads of great natural trails around Hebden Bridge/Todmodon. Then there is Lee Quarry in Bacup which is a good little trail centre!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'd advise purchasing Vertebrates Publishing - West Yorkshire mountain bike routes book. (theres a couple of routes directly from Halifax)

Or just google mountain bike routes as a starter for 10.

Alternatively join the one of many groups around this way and you'll soon learn where to go, search on Facebook theres a good few, it's what I did when I moved here and it's a great way to meet people and learn the cheeky trails.