Email hacked?

graham.
graham. Posts: 862
edited October 2014 in The cake stop
You all seem like a bright bunch and I'm hoping you may be able to advise me.
I've just had a text message saying "I believe your email has been hacked, squire." it came from 'phone number 447722663346.
I don't recognize the number (Google tells me its a UK mobile.)
I don't know anyone who would call me "Squire".
I don't know anyone who would send me a message like that and not identify themselves.

Should I;
a) Delete and ignore it.
b) Leave the country and get a job as a lavatory attendant in Madrid.

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Phone the number from a landline, preferably not from your home number and ask who it is.

Dont respond from your mobile and dont login to your email account until you verify who it is
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    DO NOT PHONE IT.

There are a few of these doing the rounds with the return call linked to a huge premium line. It has cost some people upwards of £70 for less than a minute worth of call.
    I am not confirming yours is such but delete and ignore.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'd go with option b :mrgreen:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • graham.
    Thanks for the speedy response chaps . No intention of calling the number, except maybe from a call box.
    I don't mind if it's a scam, I can just ignore it.
  • According to this http://uk-book.info/28/79/mccallum-joann.php it's Fred Burgess from Bradwell in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Do you know Fred?

:wink:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Delete it.
    Change your email passwords (be on the safe side).
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,898
    According to this http://uk-book.info/28/79/mccallum-joann.php it's Fred Burgess from Bradwell in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Do you know Fred?

He met him in a toilet in Madrid
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    matthew h wrote:
    According to this http://uk-book.info/28/79/mccallum-joann.php it's Fred Burgess from Bradwell in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Do you know Fred?

He met him in a toilet in Madrid

You can tell who normally posts in bottom bracket :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • graham.
    Never met Fred and, come to think of it, never been to Madrid!
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I see there are at least three Tory MPs called 'Graham'. If you are one of these, think very carefully before exposing yourself and texting a snapshot to this number. Fred Burgess is not a Swedish model, no matter what photos he may have sent you.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The general rule is that if it looks like a turd and smells like a turd then it probably is a turd. Don't ever reply or call dodgy emails/texts.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    ^ Yup.

Do not reply. There's no possible way it could help - even if it wasn't a scam (or a wrong number), what useful info would you get that you couldn't find out some other way? None.
  • graham.
    Deleted and ignored, not had any problems so far. :D
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,952
    Joelsim wrote:
    The general rule is that if it looks like a turd and smells like a turd then it probably is a turd. Don't ever reply or call dodgy emails/texts.

I once set up an email account just to reply to these scam emails. I had hours of fun getting Nigerians to run back and forth to the western union shop, trying to get the non-existent money I sent them. I posted as a deaf maker of pubic wigs. :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I once set up an email account just to reply to these scam emails. I had hours of fun getting Nigerians to run back and forth to the western union shop, trying to get the non-existent money I sent them. I posted as a deaf maker of pubic wigs. :lol:

Thats called 'Scam-Baiting' and can get very entertaining. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scam_baiting