Milan Torino 2014 *Spoilers*

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited October 2014 in Pro race
Nice little one day race tomorrow with a good finishing climb. First run in 1876.

Contador won un 2012 and Ulissi in 2013.

This year Contador, Aru, Quintana and Rodriguez will be racing.

As an aside, Contador leads the WT rankings, 14 points ahead of Valverde. It will be decided at Lombardia as I assume they will both race that. Tour of Beijing is also there but doubt either would be bothered to travel half way around the World for such a race.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Seem to recall that Rai had it live, last year, but I'm afraid it's back to the 60 minutes of edited highlights, to be shown only once, in a slot that will happen, when it happens.
    The Coppa Bernocchi showed up in schedules at 10pm, ended up being on 5pm.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Tour of Beijing is also there but doubt either would be bothered to travel half way around the World for such a race.
    That's not what this implies although it doesn't quote him directly... and I assume he'd pull out if things are settled after Lombardia.
  • frenchfighter
    Haha interesting! haven't checked the course this year...maybe it is a better one. I remember JRod saying similar things last year then didnt go as he won Lombardia.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It's the old Lombardy finish returning, FF.
    Definitely doesn't favour Contador over Valverde.

An update on Rai's Milan-Turin tv Schedule. Confirmed by my epg as 17-25 gmt, for one hour.
  • frenchfighter
    Ah, that's a shame. I really liked the twist in the route to favour climbers, although it did have a slight negative impact on the overall racing I think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    It's a bit of a retrograde move by RCS. The finish in Lecco was okay, but arguably too selective, especially given the time of year. The previous finish in Como was much more balanced as the race was on from the Ghisallo pretty much all the way to the finish and there was no discernible pattern.

The finish in Bergamo is pretty dull, especially given the climbs before it and, most importantly, the distance from the top of the Berbenno to Bergamo. I can't see anyone chancing it early and it'll end up with a large group hitting the final small but steep climb up to the old town, then a smaller group moving clear on that to contest the finish.
  • frenchfighter
    Kreuziger is racing MT.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Is there a live stream?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Joelsim wrote:
    Is there a live stream?
    Unlikely. Italian TV are only showing evening highlights, I think.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yep, I can't find one anywhere. Damn.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Is there a live stream?

4 posts above too far to look?
    I sometimes wonder why I bother.

This link is current and working ( I checked) for Rai Sport 2.

http://www.stream2watch.me/live-tv/rai- ... ive-stream

I repeat.
    Should be on at around 5-25pm UK time for one hour.
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2014
    Results:
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Milano_Torino_2014

Came down to a few digs in the last few km.

4 Katusha in the top ten.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    By3iatDCQAAGGXu.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    By3iq7gIAAAvHdg.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I know it was "spoilered" FF, but maybe an idea to hold off with the results until after the early highlights programme, given I'd found a working link for folks to watch?

Anyhow.
    Quite funny watching Contador and Aru mark each other out of contention.
    Aru must be his "new" Froome.
    Diego Rosa: Mmm, In the break, broke the break on the first ascent, broke Felline who joined on the descent, broke the first bridging rider on the second ascent and still managed to attack the final selection before slipping back.

Tinkoff "lightweight", with only Zaugg available to train both ascents.
    Katusha "heavyweight" in the final classement.
  • RichN95.
    I know it was "spoilered" FF, but maybe an idea to hold off with the results until after the early highlights programme, given I'd found a working link for folks to watch?
    Isn't the whole point of spoiler threads that you can say whatever you want, whenever you want?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Nice little one day race tomorrow with a good finishing climb.

It finishes on the Superga which I ride up occassionally, it is a short but nasty climb with a poor road surface in places. I will have to see if any of the pros have it on strava.

aiee. David Lopez 13m22, a bit quicker than my pathetic 23m04 (ok I was on a 1980s steel bianchi but still).
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    As an aside, Contador leads the WT rankings, 14 points ahead of Valverde. It will be decided at Lombardia as I assume they will both race that. Tour of Beijing is also there but doubt either would be bothered to travel half way around the World for such a race.
    Bertie's off to Beijing. He says it's because he wants to finish the year as number one, but all know it's because he loves how the Chinese do their steaks.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    ah yes you can see the gash roads in your photo set and the YouTube video gives an idea of how steep the climb is. 12% in places. The Italian sunday riders drive to the Superga and cycle along the top of the hills rather than doing the climb on their nice Bianchis.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme