Sanremo/Poggio/Cipressa - Worth It?

cc78
cc78 Posts: 599
edited May 2016 in Tour & expedition
I wonder if anyone has ridden around Sanremo, specifically the Cipressa and Poggio climbs, on a normal day (ie when the roads are open to traffic)?

I will be in that area next month, I like the idea of riding the two climbs and then along the route of the finish into Sanremo, but from looking at the map it's clear that they are two basically residential streets that rise off the main through road that runs along the coast. Is it worth the bother, or am I likely to spend most of my time dodging in and out of mental Italian traffic?

That aside, it looks like there are some nice climbs up in the hills inland from Sanremo.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just from watching the race it looks like it would just be busy roads usually. I think there are quieter roads to ride.

Hopefully a local will know !
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Italian traffic isn't generally mental, and the main road along that stretch of coast (the Via Aurelia) isn't too bad as most through traffic takes the motorway (EDIT: although you'll definitely want to stay clear of the SS1 BIS which bypasses San Remo through several kilometres of tunnel).

There's an excellent cycleway along the coast:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/cyclewa ... g-riviera/

If you're looking for climbs, inland looks more promising: my Touring Club Italiano map shows some interesting-looking scenic roads around the Passo Ghimbegna and beyond.
  • cc78
    andymiller wrote:
    Italian traffic isn't generally mental, and the main road along that stretch of coast (the Via Aurelia) isn't too bad as most through traffic takes the motorway (EDIT: although you'll definitely want to stay clear of the SS1 BIS which bypasses San Remo through several kilometres of tunnel).

There's an excellent cycleway along the coast:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/cyclewa ... g-riviera/

If you're looking for climbs, inland looks more promising: my Touring Club Italiano map shows some interesting-looking scenic roads around the Passo Ghimbegna and beyond.

Thanks very much for this, I've planned a route starting from Ventimiglia (I'm staying just over the border in France) and heading inland to Dolceacqua and over Ghimbegna, then back along the coast via the cycle path. It looks like the Cipressa and Poggia are easily accessible from the cycle path so I'll check them out too. Thanks again.
  • cc78
    So I did the ride today, didn't venture inland but 80km along the coast from Menton to Poggio and back... beautiful day, the cycleway is fantastic (especially the long tunnel with a pictorial history of Milan-Sanremo to entertain as you roll along) and some of the scenery is breathtaking...

10729273_287278514799385_729118017_n.jpg

BTW Poggio is nothing out the ordinary (although the descent is fairly tricky, wouldn't fancy it in the rain) but it's nice to be able to say I have done it all the same...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    cc78 wrote:
    So I did the ride today, didn't venture inland but 80km along the coast from Menton to Poggio and back... beautiful day, the cycleway is fantastic (especially the long tunnel with a pictorial history of Milan-Sanremo to entertain as you roll along) and some of the scenery is breathtaking...

10729273_287278514799385_729118017_n.jpg

BTW Poggio is nothing out the ordinary (although the descent is fairly tricky, wouldn't fancy it in the rain) but it's nice to be able to say I have done it all the same...

Im heading out there Friday and plan to do this route. Is it just a matter of following the signs for Poggio ? Want to make sure I go up the correct road :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    They are really not worth bothering... they are very easy climbs... the Poggio is easier than Box Hill... you'll go over and think what the fuss is all about, no wonder Cavendish can win Milan Sanremo.

The Ghisallo in the Tour of Lombardy on the other hand...
    left the forum March 2023
  • sherer
    They are really not worth bothering... they are very easy climbs... the Poggio is easier than Box Hill... you'll go over and think what the fuss is all about, no wonder Cavendish can win Milan Sanremo.

Ghisallo is too far for me to get to im afraid. Open to suggestions on other climbs in the area. Doing Col D'Eze which i've been over by car a few times so looking forward to riding it. Also Col De La Madone as my bike is named after it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    sherer wrote:

Ghisallo is too far for me to get to im afraid. Open to suggestions on other climbs in the area. Doing Col D'Eze which i've been over by car a few times so looking forward to riding it. Also Col De La Madone as my bike is named after it.

Col De Turini
    left the forum March 2023
  • sherer
    Thanks that looks like a decent climb. I'll post when I come back if I find anything decent out there. Only really got 2 and a bit days of riding
  • cc78
    Turini is fantastic... depends where you are starting from but you can do some superb loops including that and the Col de Braus, for example. The Madone is also a great road. The Var valley to the west of Nice has the Madone d'Utelle and there are loads of smaller climbs that link between places like Aspremont, Levens and l'Escarene.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on the Poggio earlier in the thread; I've since ridden it again, with Cipressa, and really enjoyed it. The ride along the coastal cyclepath is great. There are some interesting roads in the hills above San Remo as well.

If I was there for two days I would perhaps do one day along the coast, coming back via Cipressa and Poggio, and one day inland over Turini plus Madone and/or Braus.

NB avoid cycling through Monaco, it's not fun.
  • sherer
    Thanks for that.

Amended my flight so now plan to do ride to San Remo tomorrow afternoon and the Poggio will try and do the Cipressa too.
    Sat - Col De Madone and Turini and just seeing where the roads take me
    Sun - Col D'Eze and then another ride to explore

It's Monaco Grand Prix week so the traffic is lighter as some of the roads are blocked off. Road the whole circuit last year, Ste Devote is a lot steeper than it looks on TV.
  • cc78
    just remembered there were some pretty major works taking place on the Col d'Eze, after the summit going east towards La Turbie... worth checking as you might have to go back down to the Moyenne Corniche if heading east towards Monaco/Menton
  • sherer
    Thanks for that. Hopefully i should be able to see that on my way from Airport to Menton.

Any idea what the highest peak is in the area ? Most of my riding will be after work so mainly just what I can find out from Menton.
  • cc78
    Turini is 1600m

Madone is 925m, not bad considering you start from sea level
  • sherer
    Ticked off the Madone today and find it very tough indeed. Stopped a few times to take some pics on the way up which made it easier.. Turini starts outside my hotel but I'm guessing it must be even harder than Madone ?

Might try Eze tomorrow and a lap of Monaco circuit. Great conditions to ride in though and traffic is very cycling friendly
  • cc78
    I've done Turini from Sospel and Luceram and I don't remember anything as difficult on either road as the steepest parts of the Madone, and the road surface is a lot better as well, but it is much longer... if you go up there take a jacket for the descent, it is noticeably colder
  • sherer
    Thanks. I manned up and road the Madone again it was a lot easier the second time.. Stopped at St Agnes but think next time I can do it in one go.

Shame I'm working for the rest of the week :(
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    Turini is awesome. I've just come back from a week in Nice, amazing place for riding. Did the Madone, Eze, Braus etc, and Turini twice. From the east it's not too steep, from the south is ok too, and the west is a little tougher at 7% avg. If you do get up there, be sure to go up to the circuit de l'authion, as it takes you to a smidge over 2000m. The view is amazing!
  • sherer
    agree it's a great area to ride in. Unfortunately work is getting in the way now. Want to do Turini, and am hoping to ride up it from Menton on Friday afternoon if I finish soon enough
  • sherer
    Have to say this is a brilliant area for riding. For a Brit with no access to 13k or long climbs this is a very good area to do some riding it.

Riding into and out of Monaco is a great work out each day and you can pass a few pros along the way. Strangely the pros had no issue with me in team kit, even my Sagan Slovak champions kit.

Only really did into Monaco and the Madone 2, final day I only got as far as St Agnes as needed to get bike back to the shop before they shut.

Madone is a great climb and despite finding it a killer for my ability it does get easier the more riding you do out here.

From Menton the Poggio is do able but you need to time it to avoid the traffic, the day I tried it was late in the day and the traffic meant I had to turn back.

Want to go back and try the Turini and a few others ive missed