Tubeless Sealant options...

goldeneye243
goldeneye243 Posts: 19
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Having got some good advice in my thread about tubeless tyres, I thought I would try one about sealant!

Unlike tubeless tyres, there seems to be a lot of different options with the sealant!

The obvious candidate is Stans I guess. I have a set of Ultegra 6700 wheels that I will probably continue to run as clinchers but might go to tubeless eventually and some Campy Eurus that I will be going to tubeless on...

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Just choose the cheapest/most convenient. They're all the same stuff as far as I'm aware.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Far more experience of this on the mountainbike fora, the consensus over there is Stans as I recall but probably worth doing a search in MTB buying.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    On the mtb I started with Bontrager sealant as it was the stuff the lbs had. Worse than useless, wondered what the fuss was about tubeless as it was a pain to seal up, tyres would be flat within 24hrs and would continue to leak from the bead/rim interface for weeks. Tried tires from Spec, Schwable and Tioga all the same. Got some Stans and haven't looked back, sealed up straight away. Haven't tried anything else on the road bike, it does the job.

The guy I bought my first set of mtb tubeless wheels from diluted artists latex and said that worked for a fraction of the price, could be worth a try.

I'm more inclined to go with something I know works on the road than experiment
  • If you replace the tyres frequently, then get something cheaper, otherwise get the Stans one
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No problems with Stans - a couple of pairs of MTB wheels have been puncture-free for over a year
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Zefal 1 litre bottle is cheaper and just as good, its a latex sealent after all.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    With regards to the useable life of Stans sealant, the bottle says that it will remain a liquid inside the tyre for 2 - 7 months. How does this play out in real life?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    you're going to find out in 2 months time. It will depend on temperature in reality. I presume colder condition will slow hardening of the fluid.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Earlier this year I had a puncture in a tubeless tyre, the sealant didn't stop the flat. I used an innertube to get home and fixed the tubeless tyre. I'd run out of sealant, so put the tyre back on without any, worked fine all summer running dry.