What gear do you use to "blast" off?

2»

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Whatever gear the bike is in when I stop.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    I like to accelerate on my bike when I set off. Make people in cars think "He's fast".

If everyone posts the gear they use (front and rear teeth) we could get an idea.

Its just your "setting off gear". I'm fantastically weak though.

39F/21R (1.86 wheel turns)

No lying!
    what an incredibly strange post/subject :|

Feel free to post another 'what tyres should I buy?' thread if you like!

not sure what you mean Rolf?
    "I like to accelerate on my bike when I set off. Make people in cars think "He's fast".
    if that sounds normal to you then hey -ho :|

I didn't say it sounds normal. Maybe it is a mildly demented thread topic but surely it is less boring than most on here? I'm just saying I'd rather something a bit different than yet another tyre thread; I suspect you'd prefer the tyres! At least here we don't know what the outcome will be!

No I agree, definately mildly demented :D
    apart from the "look how fast i can pull off" ooeer missus, it would never cross my mind to check what gearing i'm in when setting off, by the time i've worked it out the car drivers would be at home having tea.
    As for the outcome, my moneys on i being included in the "it's all kicking off thread" :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • I would advise using 34-11 as it'll make a really funky noise that will impress the sh*t out of fellow road users.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    As for the outcome, my moneys on i being included in the "it's all kicking off thread" :)

Bear with me - I'm on the case......
    I would advise using 34-11 as it'll make a really funky noise that will impress the sh*t out of fellow road users.

Well that'll be because you are using Shimano. My Campag makes a perfectly quiet noise in 34-11!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    The chances are that the time lost whilst you clip in completely negates any impression of speed/acceleration.

Clip in, pah, track stand all the way for me :lol:
    Cough b****cks
    Fake a track stand by resting your left pedal against the divers side door. Makes a great noise when you pull away too.. :oops:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thread of the year. Right up there with 'what's your average speed' and 'How fast have you ridden'....
  • seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    The chances are that the time lost whilst you clip in completely negates any impression of speed/acceleration.

Clip in, pah, track stand all the way for me :lol:
    Cough b****cks
    Fake a track stand by resting your left pedal against the divers side door. Makes a great noise when you pull away too.. :oops:

If you hold onto their door mirror, you get to accelerate to a decent speed with minimal effort too.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Normally 1st or 2nd on the 3 speed Brompton - this is comutting chat forum isn't it? :D

Have to agree this is one of the all time crap thread topics.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I thought it was too demented to post in Road General but thats where its ended up. :P

I just wondered if I am really weak or what.

The gear I set off in is a few sprockets lower than when I am coasting on the flat.

I set off from my house the other day and went at 19 MPH all the way up this hill (probably about a mile long hill, not that steep). Because of being so weak for so long I couldn't believe it. Quit smoking about 2 years ago and I am still adjusting even now.

Am I the only guy on here with a triple chainset? :lol: Its all talk of 50T and a 34T being "small" lol. My middle ring will be 34T... soon. 8)

Might as well add one:

At the traffic lights if I am in a rush, I flip my bike upside down (with my shoes still clipped into the pedals), then I "bounce" off from the traffic lights. This takes a lot of energy, but is slightly faster than pedalling those first few seconds. After a few bounces, I do one more big bounce and flip with the bike under me again so I land at about 15 MPH, then I coast along normally. Drivers see me and think "He's got long legs".
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Manc33 wrote:
    I thought it was too demented to post in Road General but thats where its ended up. :P

I just wondered if I am really weak or what.

The gear I set off in is a few sprockets lower than when I am coasting on the flat.

I set off from my house the other day and went at 19 MPH all the way up this hill (probably about a mile long hill, not that steep). Because of being so weak for so long I couldn't believe it. Quit smoking about 2 years ago and I am still adjusting even now.

Am I the only guy on here with a triple chainset? :lol: Its all talk of 50T and a 34T being "small" lol. My middle ring will be 34T... soon. 8)

Might as well add one:

At the traffic lights if I am in a rush, I flip my bike upside down (with my shoes still clipped into the pedals), then I "bounce" off from the traffic lights. This takes a lot of energy, but is slightly faster than pedalling those first few seconds. After a few bounces, I do one more big bounce and flip with the bike under me again so I land at about 15 MPH, then I coast along normally. Drivers see me and think "He's got long legs".
    Pardon?

It's hard to tell which comments are serious and which are meant as jokes. You talk about the gear you're in when coasting. By coasting you mean freewheeling right? If so then ????
    I presume the last bit is a joke but I'm afraid I don't get it...
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    This thread is amazing!
  • Manc33 wrote:
    I set off from my house the other day and went at 19 MPH all the way up this hill (probably about a mile long hill, not that steep). Because of being so weak for so long I couldn't believe it.

I did climb the Alpe d'Huez at that pace... it took me less than half an hour to get to the cafe'... 8)

Then once I was coasting and I got passed by Jesus on a Pinarello... I tried to catch him, but he split the traffic and blasted through a junction... no chance to get him... :mrgreen:

Now I will lock this thread as it's full of bollox! :?
    left the forum March 2023
This discussion has been closed.