Saddle advice.

Barnymeinhoff
Barnymeinhoff Posts: 62
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi :oops:

Im new to MTB, got a Cube Acid 2015 a week ago and love everything about it except the saddle, Clearly there is a German designer out there who is not willing to forgive and forget and my barse is paying the price.

Im mainly looking to do a combination of trails and cross country and would definitely fall into the heavy set category, i feel i need something with a little wider support for both upright and forward leaning perhaps in combination with padded shorts for longer rides. any advice on brands would be appreciated.

Comments

• MTB saddles are not designed for comfort, but to find your sit bones. You either need to harden up your sit bones with the current saddle or find one that better fits those bones. This could also be the wrong saddle again though! A Charge Spoon fits me and many people very well though and are cheapish.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    it may also just be in the wrong position
  • Some shops have demo saddles you can try for a few days.
    There are so many different shaped saddles and arses no one can tell you what will be comfortable for you.
  • Thank you all, I have played about with position to some success, will give hardening up a bit more of a chance before gaffer taping a cushion to my rear.
  • Tarqy
    Tarqy Posts: 14
    How to measure your sit bones, It won't tell you what saddle but it'll give you somewhere to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA
    2015 Cube Reaction GTC SL 27.5
  • I found the charge spoon too flexy for my weight/butt and gave me saddle chafes after one ride (low miles/less than an hour duration). An SDG BelAir has been sublime in comparison, though given the range of saddle options finding one that works for your butt can be a hit or miss (even with the correct butt bone spacing support) But(t) I'd avoid anything superlight (Ti rails) and flexy if your larger than the average spotty oike .
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Funnily enough I love my two Spoons and despite being a not that light 85Kg get on very well with my Ti railed Bonty saddle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I am a "rider of substance" (100+kg) and I found that a saddle with thinner but firmer padding was more suitable. Thick, squishy padding just allowed my sit bones to crush it to nothing and rest all my weight on the hard part of the saddle.
    Getting the right width helped too.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Point about the Spoons is that they seem to work for lots of people (most people I know use them), very few people actually find them uncomfortable, they are dirt cheap and easy to sell on.

So worth experimenting with before lashing out huge amounts on fancier names..
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just the sort of advice i was after, having researched the internets i will start with a scoop or spoon and work on from there if necessary.
    Thanks.

now thats settled i just need to learn how to steer the bloody thing.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    A Spoon has to be worth a try if it doesn't work you'll only lose a couple of quid selling it on as they are always in demand.
    A mate tried one of mine and couldn't believe how comfy it was compared to his very expensive saddle that he doesn't like.
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Got these an all my bikes. 2 x FS, 1 x surly troll, 1 x fat bike. Had them fitted since 2007 when i started getting sore prostate after cycling. Don't even need to wear padded shorts now with them.

http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/sensat ... 00064.html
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm no bike tart but those look like something your granny uses to support something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi :oops:

Im new to MTB, got a Cube Acid 2015 a week ago and love everything about it except the saddle, Clearly there is a German designer out there who is not willing to forgive and forget and my barse is paying the price.

Im mainly looking to do a combination of trails and cross country and would definitely fall into the heavy set category, i feel i need something with a little wider support for both upright and forward leaning perhaps in combination with padded shorts for longer rides. any advice on brands would be appreciated.

I've also recently bought a Cube and I feel your pain lol..I changed mine from the Stella Italia to a Specialized saddle 1000% better only £25
  • ordered a spoon from cycle surgery for 18.75. only available in pink and white but should compliment the blue, red and bright orange of the bike nicely.
  • Pink .......hmm,mm, you sound like a nice boy lol