Cheapest Frame used by a Pro Team?

GGBiker
GGBiker Posts: 450
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Any suggestions for a pro level frame on a budget?

Already aware of a few options eg Canyon but notice that most brands seem to have cheaper frames with same geometry but lower quality carbon and higher weight (eg Scott, Cannondale).

Comments

• Genesis volare. See the steel thrsd
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Genesis volare. See the steel thrsd

The Volare 953 frame is hardly 'cheap' - it's over £2k.
  • Imposter wrote:

No, it's £1200 at some places. Hence see the steel thread.
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m90b0s804p1 ... e_Frameset

In any event, this isn't about cheap, it's about cheapest.

So, that appears to suggest Volare or Condor Super Acciaio. Or, now, the Genesis Zero.

Of course, much depends on how you define "pro."
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Paul's Cycles has Supersix Evo HM Framesets for 1300-1500
    Westbrook have Scott Foils 1300. Or 200 quid more with the thick end of a Di2 Group
  • Cervelo S3 with Ultegra 11 speed, 3k for a full build.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • I'm sure there are people on here who will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the Raleigh Militis carbon bikes at Wiggle have the same frame as that used by the pro team. http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/raleigh-model-year-2014-bikes-flagship-militis-range-updatedhtml

So if they have a frame in your size it looks a decent deal at £1365 fully built up - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-militis-pro-105-2014/
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I can't remember the name of the team, but I saw a pro-level team using rebranded DengFu FM-098 frames on Eurosport this year.
  • imposter2.0
    DKay wrote:
    I can't remember the name of the team, but I saw a pro-level team using rebranded DengFu FM-098 frames on Eurosport this year.

Might have been Zappis - I think they were using similar this year. Boardman supplied bikes to UHC a couple of years ago and BTwin support at least one junior/development team in France - you could argue that any frame has the potential to be 'pro level', whatever that means...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    If you mean WorldTour level then the SuperSix Evo. The others are not WT level.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    gabriel959 wrote:
    If you mean WorldTour level then the SuperSix Evo. The others are not WT level.

The Foil is
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    Cervelo R3 gets a run out at Paris Roubaix and is fairly cheap (well it's all relative)
  • Canyon - Movistar
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Canyon cf sl frameset is £850. Beat that...
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • Canyon cf sl frameset is £850. Beat that...

Except Movistar use the CF SLX
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    Canyon cf sl frameset is £850. Beat that...

Precisely
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Around the same as an Evo HM in the sales. The Foil is around the same price too.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Canyon Ultimate Al was (possibly still is) used by several pros
  • Imposter wrote:

No, it's £1200 at some places. Hence see the steel thread.
    http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m90b0s804p1 ... e_Frameset

In any event, this isn't about cheap, it's about cheapest.

So, that appears to suggest Volare or Condor Super Acciaio. Or, now, the Genesis Zero.

Of course, much depends on how you define "pro."

bloomin 'eck, £1200! now that is a proper bargain for a 953 frameset
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Cheapest to whom?

It is quite likely that those with the best marketing are able to get the best profit from the sales of "pro" frames on the basis of number of sales and unit cost to manufacture. That could easily mean that the cheapest to manufacture is the most expensive on the normal retail market.

One man's cheapest is another's margin.
  • snowley wrote:
    Canyon cf sl frameset is £850. Beat that...

Precisely
    So you've cut them apart and analysed the lay up have you?

Do you think all the riders get the SLX? Valverde, Quintana for sure, but what about the keep-at-home training frames of the neo-pros?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    different layup is not the same frame.
  • How far back do you want to go too?

The planet x stealth time trial frame was the same as used by Cadel Evans a few years back. They are only about £300 now.

Decathlon used to sponsor a TDF team and they were riding the top of the line B|Twin bike that wasn't much. But not still available I reckon.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Lots of great suggestions, think an evo hi mod in the sales or maybe the new Genesis Zero (looks great in all black with 105 build for £1600 I think, same frame as the Madison Genesis Team rode in the Tour of Britain).

The Canyon CF SL looks to be a solid frame for the money although not ridden by a team as has been pointed out. Also like the Scott Foil 20 which is available for £1400 at the moment, superlight frame for the money though different lay up than the top line model.

Another sleeper is the Bianchi Sempre Pro, used by the Androni Team.

Also the vitus Vitesse, available in Ultegra build for £1200, di2 for £1600, this is the frame that the An Post Chain Reaction Team rode in the 2013 Tour of Britain.

Plenty of options out there and they must all meet the basic requirements of competitive riders I would assume.
  • Pro's do get the sam bikes for home and for racing.Altough the ones at home are mostly serviced by the riders or their LBS so you can see clincher wheels and double bar tape.But the frame and groupset is the same.
  • imposter2.0
    GGBiker wrote:

Also the vitus Vitesse, available in Ultegra build for £1200, di2 for £1600, this is the frame that the An Post Chain Reaction Team rode in the 2013 Tour of Britain.

An Post rode the Dolan Ares in 2012 - also worth a look.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    An Post CRC / Vitus as previously mentioned. I've had 5 various Vitus' and loved them all, especially the two I still have
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Focus Cayo Evo has been ridden in major races with Aqua and Sapone - don't think any pro teams use it now but you can get one for about a grand fully built if you look at the sales.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DKay
    Imposter wrote:
    DKay wrote:

Might have been Zappis - I think they were using similar this year.

Definitely wasn't them, as they're riding FM066SL frames instead. I think the name on the downtube began with a 'V'.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Caja Rurals frames, Vivelo ?, look like a DengFu or similar.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • DKay
    Galatzo wrote:
    Caja Rurals frames, Vivelo ?, look like a DengFu or similar.

That's the one! Their Arc RS bike is definitely the DengFu FM098, which can be bought direct for around £300.