Ben2012 Posts: 24
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
How the hell do you get it out?

Mine is proper stuck!

Seems a few of my bushings need replacing :(

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which pivot bolt, I have taken apart two banshees a while ago and have a vague recollection one bolt (the one where the rockers pivot at the seat tube) you had to remove all the other bolts first and then it still took some pursuasion to get out.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Which pivot bolt, I have taken apart two banshees a while ago and have a vague recollection one bolt (the one where the rockers pivot at the seat tube) you had to remove all the other bolts first and then it still took some pursuasion to get out.

The one down by the bottom bracket.

One side unscrewed with an allen key (Its a countersunk head)

The other side i can only get about 5 degrees of movement so i assumed it doesnt turn.

I screwed the bolt in at the other end and hit it with a hammer, I have moved it about 2 mm.

If I continue to hammer any further its likely I will damage the thread on the bolt.

Ive just been to Halfords and ordered some bits but the bloke on the till didnt really know what the parts contain and no technicians were availiable so I wont know until they get it (on Wednesday) what bits I can get

Any idea how to do it without damaging it?
  • The Rookie
    If you screw the other bolt in so it's almost done up, you won't damage the thread.

You can only order any of the pivot parts as a whole kit that costs about £50.

I did have some spare bits (one of the frames had the snapped chain stay the early ones suffered with) and when I get back home on Thursday can have a look to see if I still have them somewhere for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Been to Halfords, no help really.

If you have got any parts that would be great!

One of the bearings is worn, press fitted and they cant get them or the pivot bolt :(

Not quite sure how im going to get it out though

Not quite sure what im going to do
  • The Rookie
    I've told you how to get it out, do the other side most the way in so you get max thread engagement and tap it out a bit at a time.
  • Yeah sorry I should have been more specific.

I have the bolt out, The pivot bolt is ruined but I may be able to re-thread it. I hope so as Halfords cannot get the part any loner as its so old.

Im struggling to get the bearings out now, Im assuming both are tapped outwards from the inside but neither are budging, I cannot get a great deal of purchase due to the spacer between the bearings.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A bearing puller makes life easier.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah I popped into a bike shop today and they said they can get the bearings out, £5 if easy

Or £10 if its a bit of work.

Im more than happy with £10, then its just a case of sourcing the bearings!
  • Ben2012
    Ben2012 Posts: 24
    So the bearings are out.

Went to Halfords to see what parts was ordered and if any are any good and no such luck

Wasnt even the right bike they ordered the part for!

So I need to source a pivot bolt somehow or tap mine with a larger thread