Tool Recommendations

Antm81
Antm81 Posts: 1,406
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Need to change the headset on my trance to fit my new forks. Was going to get the LBS to do it but as at least one other bike in the house will need a new headset in the not too distant future I'm looking at possibly getting some tools and doing it myself.

Need to be able to remove the existing cups without damage as these will be sold with the current forks (overdrive 2). The upper cup is 1 1/4 but is a zs44 cup.

Trying not to spend a fortune on removal tools and a press but the best I've found so far is the jobsworth press from on one at £30 but I'm looking at £15-20 for a removal tool and looks like I'll need to of them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why sell the headset with the forks when there is only about a 50% chance they will fit the buyers farms (at best)?

I remove with a large screwdriver (any blunt tipped punch will do) and hammer, and fit with a block of wood and hammer or using threaded bar if it's someone else bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    They're an odd size, overdrive 2 as stated but the head tube is a standard 44/56 tapered so they'll fit a fair few bikes. Will make my forks far more saleable if I have the headset with them.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Why sell the headset with the forks when there is only about a 50% chance they will fit the buyers farms (at best)?

I remove with a large screwdriver (any blunt tipped punch will do) and hammer, and fit with a block of wood and hammer or using threaded bar if it's someone else bike.

Exactly this. Or hitting headset with rubber mallet to fit.
  • Antm81
    Thanks for the advice guys but taking a hammer to either an £70 headset or a £2000 bike without a suitable tool in between isn't going to happen.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Proper stuff

p4pb5239664.jpg

Home made

imgp3452.jpg

Works

Mariohammer.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie wrote:

Exactly this. Or hitting headset with rubber mallet to fit.

Hitting in a headset with a rubber mallet is terrible advice, chances of it going in straight are slim and the chances of wrecking the frame are high.
    The headset will fit the majority of modern, tapered headtube frames and it has an odd size top bearing to suit the overdrive 2 fork.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    just make up your own headset press.

I haven't needed to use it yet but got some threaded bar, 2 nuts and 2 plastic flat washers and made something similar to cool dads picture to use when I need to replace the headset in my bike.
  • Antm81
    Thanks for the advice guys. Order the x tools cup removers and the jobsworth press from on one.

The cup removers worked great and the press was excellent on the top cup. Wasn't quite so good on the bottom cup as it doesn't hold the 1.5" cups securely.
  • MBR magazine made a video on this.
    The more I watch the video though the more I just want to buy the proper tools
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z20O6PUU70
  • I use a g-clamp and two bits of wood to get the cups in, and a plain screwdriver, rag and hammer to get them out.

Done this countless times and never had a single problem...
    Delete my fucking account.