Trex With Zee?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Sat here trying to decide what read mech to get for the canyon.

Will be going 1x10 with a 40T trex. I've read on STW that a few people have got it to work, anyone on here give it the thumbs up?

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Mine works on the Canyon, to be honest the LBS fitted it for nothing (so I can't say how easy it was) but they said there were no hassles.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    14364730872_7dd18c7935_b.jpg
    Untitled by mcnultycop, on Flickr

No close up pics ion the PC, but here it is working!
  • Yay, sells it for me, cheers!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It depends entirely on how much chain growth your frame has. There's no way I could use one with the Zee on my Mega since the mech can't even cope with an 11-36 cassette, I have to take up a little slack using the B Tension Screw.

If you were to go for the One Up cog you could get they're mech cage which supposedly makes the shifting better. You need a GS cage mech for that though which is another reason to avoid the Zee. If it was me I'd be going XT, it's lighter and has better jockey wheels which use bearings instead of the rubbish bushings. First thing I did with my Zee's is switch the jockey wheels for the ones in my old XT mechs.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I use a medium cage XT mech with a Hope T-rex and i have also fitted the One Up Rad Cage, to get away from the long b-tension screw situation. You also get much more of the chain wrapping the cassette with a Rad cage. Oh i also purchased one of their 16t rings to give better ratio spread, but to be honest i barely notice the difference. So far so good, the system changes with out a flaw. As well as the standard system anyway. Only slight negative is the chain drops down gears if you back pedal on the t-rex. But then why the hell would you?