private roads, google maps, ridewithgps

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
On Google maps, when you plot a route that happens to go along a private road, in the directions, Google gives a warning. I think that's new. It's pretty useful.

But I'm now plotting my routes on ridewithgps.com. And that doesn't give a private road warning. Anyone worked out a way of getting a route made on ridewithgps.com into Google maps in order to be able to check for private roads? I've managed to import a kml file with a route in it into Google maps but haven't managed to get that to the point where Google shows the directions for that route therefore the private road warnings. Hopefully ridewithgps will be able to get access to that private road data and display it on their site. I'd make that request with them but am unable to post on their forums at the moment for some reason.

Comments

• BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    Always worth checking the OS maps as some private roads are more private than others.
    One near me is a private road, lots of signs stating this but it is a bye-way for pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists which is only shown(as far as I know) on OS maps.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Be really careful using Google to plot any cycling route.

Google seems to consider all rights of way as suitable for cycling, which can lead to some interesting moments when you approach a pot holed, mud covered farm track on a road bike. I'd be interested to know what 'rules' they use in the logic, as at the moment I don't think it's fit for purpose.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    davmaggs wrote:

Google seems to consider all rights of way as suitable for cycling, which can lead to some interesting moments when you approach a pot holed, mud covered farm track on a road bike. I'd be interested to know what 'rules' they use in the logic, as at the moment I don't think it's fit for purpose.

^^^ This +1
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Yerp, OS Maps & local knowledge is still king.

I was pretty surprised/disappointed by one of my local club's leaders took his group of road bikes down a private farm dirt track this year. Get a clue!
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    davmaggs wrote:

Yup, or worse, much much worse... like the time I went round a one way bend and all of a sudden I was on a very busy 3 or 4 lane A road with with broken glass all over the hard shoulder and lorries brushing past me at 70mph. With no escape. Never making that mistake again.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Sounds just like my commute except no ones riding that slow.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.