Aldi HRM

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Anybody got any time using the Aldi heart rate monitor that's currently on sale for £13. It's about time I started training properly and I need a monitor, but don't want to go crazy on price if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Comments

• cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    I wounder if it links with my Garmin 800...
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    No, it won't.
    If you have nothing might worth the money.....but the range (distance sensor-watch) is most likely limited.
  • Picked one up this morning. Seems close enough in it's readings sitting on the couch. I'll test it on the bike tomorrow. The range may well be limited but it only has to work from the sensor to my wrist. The biggest problem will probably be interference from outside influences.

Function and build quality seems good for the money.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The biggest problem will probably be interference from outside influences.

Steer clear of traffic lights and shops with electronic security barriers. With my Aldi wireless computer some traffic lights used to spike the speed reading as did the security barriers. I think I clocked 120mph outside a shop with my bike waiting for a friend inside :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I took mine back and got a refund (only time I've done this with Aldi cycling stuff). I found the readings were a bit erratic (no, it wasn't my ticker) and the wireless mouse seemed to drive it crazy when I was logged in to my PC after the ride (my heart certainly wasn't doing 155 bpm). I tried my son's HRM (I think he got it at Tesco a couple of years back) and had no such problems. It might have been a duff unit but I didn't want to chance it. Pity because I liked the simplicity i.e. the Basic" mode available. I just want to know my heart rate; can't be bothered with all of this "zone" stuff!