Canyon help al slx and cf slx

nibby
nibby Posts: 246
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Just ordered a Ultimate AL Slx to use as my commuting bike (4 or 5 days per week) and weekend bike and it will replace a Ribble winter (apart from the days when the Ribble's mudguards will come in handy) :D

I'm also thinking of biting the bullet and getting a new "weekend" best bike and the Ultimate CF SLX

Does anyone have or has ridden both and is there a noticeable difference between them to justify the second bike or do I as my head say's just stick with the AL.

There isn't a big difference in weight until you start going into the slx sl option at 6.1kg, the Al slx is not heavy at 7.25.

It's not getting the second bike that worries me but would I notice that the CF Slx is a better bike?

Cheers

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I haven't ridden either. I'm somewhere between the two on an Ultimate CF SL. however, it seems to me that you're buying two bikes where one will do perfectly well. If you have an older bike and want to use it in winter to keep the shiny new one as shiny and perfecty as possible that's fair enough. If you want a more utilitarian bike for winter so you can mount mudguards, bigger tyres, lights, etc more easily then that makes sense too. But I don't understand buying a "winter bike" that's pretty much the same as your "summer" bike in most relevant ways, i.e. they're both race bikes with similar geometry, similar tyre and gearing options, similar ability to take mudguards, I think. Why not just get the CF SLX and hang onto the ribble for when it rains? I don't see what the AL gets you except another bike. Bikes take up space and cost money. Buy what you want or what you need. Don't buy more just to make up the numbers.
  • nibby
    The reason I'm buying the AL is to basically replace the Ribble as my yearly commuting bike. I can spend 12-15 hrs a week commuting and basically want something nicer and a bit quicker to do it with at a decent price.

Then because I'm using it all week was thinking of another nicer bike for weekend rides/sportives/racing etc..

Just to have something nicer and different to ride but ONLY if they are going to feel different and as you say they are both similar on paper but let's say the CF Slx will be noticeable uphill for example and a bit faster that might swing it.

Ideally I would wait unitl the AL arrives ride that for a bit then see if I can get a go on the CF slx, but Canyon don't make it easy. I think the nearest testing facility is in Majorca!! Which in itself might be a decent excuse to take the wife on holiday ;)
  • swj1
    swj1 Posts: 70
    I have the Al SLX and an AERoad CF and there is not to much in it for me, less road noise with the AERoad and it does feel slightly quicker but then it does have better wheels that the AL

If I was to do it again I would just buy the AERoad, I don't really buy into the winter bike thing, If you look after your bike I don't see why you can't use all year round but that being said it is nice to have a spare ;)
  • I have a Bordman CX bike with full mudguards as a winter bike and I also have a Canyon CF SL and a Cannondale Supersix. The Canyon was bought for doing a lot of miles on when the weather was not nice enough to take my best bike out but not too bad that I needed a winter bike. So far it has worked well for me and on a nice day I still look forward to riding my best bike, as this is only used once or twice a week where as the Canyon/Boardman get used a lot more. It means I can use nice expensive wheels etc on my best bike and not worry about them getting wornout.

I am think of upgrading my winter bike with a CAAD X Rival 22 as like you say they get a lot of use and it makes sense to have something you enjoy a bit more.
  • ai_1
    I have a Bordman CX bike with full mudguards as a winter bike and I also have a Canyon CF SL and a Cannondale Supersix. The Canyon was bought for doing a lot of miles on when the weather was not nice enough to take my best bike out but not too bad that I needed a winter bike. So far it has worked well for me and on a nice day I still look forward to riding my best bike, as this is only used once or twice a week where as the Canyon/Boardman get used a lot more. It means I can use nice expensive wheels etc on my best bike and not worry about them getting wornout.

I am think of upgrading my winter bike with a CAAD X Rival 22 as like you say they get a lot of use and it makes sense to have something you enjoy a bit more.
    This logic confuses me!

You want your "good bike" to feel better than your normal bike but you also say it makes sense to upgrade your normal bike to be something "you enjoy a bit more". If you want to enjoy all your rides as much as possible then ride your best bike all the time and use the savings on not having 3 bikes to keep it in perfect working order with maintenance and replacement parts as needed. What's most important? Having a big difference between your normal and "best" bike, having the most reliable and robust bike for commuting, or having the most enjoyable bike to ride under you as often as possible?
    Incidentally, I would say there's going to be almost zero actual speed difference between the CF SLX and AL SLX. Same goes for the CF SL and Supersix. They may feel a bit different to ride but it's very unlikely that one is really faster in most or all circumstances (unless you have brake rub on one of them).
  • nibby
    Thanks for the replies,

all good points.

I'm going to stick with the al slx I've ordered and use that for 90% and the Ribble for the wet commutes.

It's the sensible option as the AL slx should hopefully be a very decent step up from my Ribble and for the price looks like a bargin.

Cant believe I'm being sensible though :)
  • ai_1
    nibby wrote:
    Thanks for the replies,

all good points.

I'm going to stick with the al slx I've ordered and use that for 90% and the Ribble for the wet commutes.

It's the sensible option as the AL slx should hopefully be a very decent step up from my Ribble and for the price looks like a bargin.

Cant believe I'm being sensible though :)
    Seems the sensible option but I reckon the AL SLX will be a fun ride too!
    It may not be carbon but that doesn't mean it's not a proper race bike and just as fast as the CF SLX in most conditions.....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I had an AL SLX on loan from Canyon for a couple of months in the summer. Was very very impressed by it. My only complaint was the SRAM Apex which I hated, but that's hardly Canyon's fault. The SLX is hands down the best Alu frame I've ever ridden. A joy to ride, comfortable yet snappy and felt very confident when cornering.

I've since ordered an Aeroad SLX and am contemplating buying a AL SLX frameset as well.
  • nibby
    That's good to know, cheers. Just need to wait another 6 weeks now before it's delivered!! aaarrrgghhhhhh!!!! :)