New Gopros

Lewis A
Lewis A Posts: 767
edited October 2014 in MTB general
Just saw the announcement via Twitter, 4k at 30fps is really impressive...
I've always wanted a go pro, but the price has always been the killer for me, but the new Hero comes in at £99, so that solve that.

http://singletrackworld.com/2014/09/gop ... -everyone/
Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.

Comments

• The cheapest one is ideal for most people.
    I have got a hero3 black and find that I use lower quality settings to keep file size down so I can get more on a memory card and upload it in half the time. The actual difference in video quality isn't that much.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    4k recording is all well and good but it's still early technology, file sizes are going to be mahoosive or massively compressed squandering any quality gains.

People need the specific PC/TV screens & graphics cards to watch 4k properly
  • Briggo wrote:

It won't be long before it's commonplace so you're future proof.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Briggo
    By which time prices will have dropped.
  • Briggo wrote:

And none of the footage you shoot between now and when prices drop will be future proof.
  • Briggo wrote:

A good reason to never buy the very latest technology. Plus, most people's (including mine) riding videos are a bit rubbish and only get a few views and forgotten so 720p is more than enough.
    Most GoPros probably only get a few months use before getting forgotten about.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So more random boring vids but with enough definition to see your pimples.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Gopro footage is almost always boring and/or mounted poorly, making it really shaky. I want one to document new rides to show family and friends, or to capture riding holidays, rather than to get YouTube views...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I actually really like the look of the £99 one, and am genuinely tempted to try and pick one up after Christmas.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Most GoPros probably only get a few months use before getting forgotten about.

Yup :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Briggo wrote:

It won't be long before it's commonplace so you're future proof.
    Not too sure about that. For laptops and high turnover devices like tablets perhaps we'll see 4k commonplace but for TVs we can expect the install base to be dominated by 1080p for 20 years.

When I replace my TV in 7 or 8 years time I might go 4k I suppose........ But really I'll be needing an eye upgrade first to be able to see those extra pixels from my sofa.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Daz555 wrote:
    Not too sure about that. For laptops and high turnover devices like tablets perhaps we'll see 4k commonplace but for TVs we can expect the install base to be dominated by 1080p for 20 years.

When I replace my TV in 7 or 8 years time I might go 4k I suppose........ But really I'll be needing an eye upgrade first to be able to see those extra pixels from my sofa.

It will be within less than 10 years that they become commonplace.

And, while I'm not a fan of resolution (much prefer grainy old footage), there's no denying that the difference when you're watching 4K is obvious.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

aint that what was said about 3D TV?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    3D's different though. 4K is better than what we've got. I'm happy with SD but will take higher on a TV if it's free and there. From your sofa on a 40 inch screen I'd doubt you could tell the difference between HD and 4K - it's when you go huge it comes into its own.
  • Angus Young
    nicklouse wrote:

aint that what was said about 3D TV?

Yes, sort of. But 3D is a gimmick, 4K is just more of the same. And the easiest thing to sell people is 'more' of something.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Briggo wrote:
    4k recording is all well and good but it's still early technology, file sizes are going to be mahoosive or massively compressed squandering any quality gains.

File sizes are never going to go down...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Angus Young
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

File sizes are never going to go down...

Mmm... Never? That's a big bet against someone coming up with a better compression codec. And besides, processing power and storage capacity are always going up. Editing 4K is no problem for me (as I do it for a living), and it's only a matter of time before the casual user catches up. They always do.
  • Has anyone used the new hero (£99)? The only thing I am worried about is the battery life. A lot of my friends have the older models which seem to eat batteries and when out on rides they only seem to last 45 mins.

Anyone have the same worries about the battery?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just use it for the fun bits rather than filming entire rides and it's fine. No one wants to watch video of climbs or flat boring bits.
  • Angus Young
    Just use it for the fun bits rather than filming entire rides and it's fine.

^ This. Most of the GoPro footage on YouTube could be massively improved by a bit of ruthless editing.
  • cooldad

^ This. Most of the GoPro footage on YouTube could be massively improved by deleting it.
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:

^ This. Most of the GoPro footage on YouTube could be massively improved by deleting it.
    FTFY

Ah... you'd be surprised what you can do with a bit of crafty editing.
  • Briggo
    cooldad wrote:

FTFY

Want a cuddle?
  • cooldad
    Briggo wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

FTFY

Want a cuddle?
    On or off camera?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    The stock market is a very peculiar place.