Pub Talk - Who will retire with the better palmares?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited April 2015 in Pro race
Sagan or Kwiatkowski?

Head to Head Records

ae78a0a0a7ab11e3963d0eddec20ee24_8.jpg

dd21ae997f10a5e0801d298c4978b98b.jpg

panoramic_df12e11072013_079-1024x682.jpg
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    I hope Kwiatkowski. He's a classy bike rider whereas sometimes Sagan can be a bit - 'classless'.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,227
    To my amateur-trained eye, Kiwakowski's got more talent for 1 day races than Sagan.

Sagan's got a much better sprint which ultimately wins you more races.

I think what we saw with Boonen in 2005 is a bit what we are with Sagan. He was the first to develop, and then others from his age range (Cancellara et al) caught up. Same with Sagan.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sagan. He had a duff year but I suspect it'll just be a bump. Still won E3. Probably the distraction of an overly hot girlfriend

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Kwiatkowski now he's won a big race and nobody gives him any space.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Sagan will come out next year and there will be fire in the hold in every race he wants to let loose. I wouldn't judge him based on this year. Kwiatek will not have an easy ride next year. Both great riders but I prefer Kwiatek.

According to Leferve:
    "At 24 everything is yet to come. Sometimes I have the impression that at Sagan is already a bit over it, and that it has yet to begin for Kwiatkowski."
    But I would take what comes out his mouth with a pinch of salt.

Head to head Kwiatek took out Sagan at Eroica and it is not like Sagan under-estimated his qualities (he has known him for a long time).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I think a lot of sagans 'duff year' is down to being so successful last year nobody rides with him or lets him get a gap, won't be surprised if same happens next year with Kwiat especially as he will stick out like a sore thumb in the rainbow stripes
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Kwia has a fantastic career ahead of him. Personally I think he should forget GC in the Grand Tours and go for the Classics and the Paris-Nice type of stage races. He hasn't got it in the high mountains, and I'm not sure he ever will. Hope I'm wrong as I really like the way he races.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    edited September 2014
    Double post
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Sagan.

Ultimately there are more races available to him and he can rely on his sprint more.

And currently Kwiatkowski is supported by one of the best teams and Sagan by one of the worst.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Sagan. He had a duff year but I suspect it'll just be a bump. Still won E3. Probably the distraction of an overly hot girlfriend

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Kwiatkowski now he's won a big race and nobody gives him any space.

At the moment I think Kwiatek, but it's still early days for both of them. It's not like he was allowed to breakaway on Sunday because he's a nobody. He took a risk on the dangerous corner by the dam and attacked from there. Skill and tactics which he then followed through on. The race was fully on and that was no gift.

Sagan is an awesome athlete, but he so often messes up tactically. Like MSR 2013 when he burned up so much energy riding on the front that he didn't have it at the finish. I have to admit I enjoy seeing Sagan finish second, but if he can start converting his 2nd places into victories he will end up with an awesome palmares. I'm looking forward to Michal vs Peter at MSR 2015. And then I'll get to see them in the flesh at RVV. It could be a good rivalry to watch unfold.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Kwia, who will win a monument next year (getting my PTP in early for Flanders).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Define 'better'. I think Kwia will have fewer wins but more top quality victories to his name. He is one of the only riders I can think of who could win pretty much any of the Classics (not sure about P-R) or be a contender for a GT podium though sadly in the modern era it will be an either / or I should think. Nibali is the only other rider I can think of with as much potential all round ability but he obviously concentrates on the GTs and Kwia has that added ability to win a sprint from a small group.

Sagan broke onto the scene with all guns blazing but has stagnated a bit. Early on I thought he might be able to place quite highly in GTs (not necessarily podiums but a solid top 20) as well as win stages but his climbing seems to have deteriorated since then.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    iainf72 wrote:
    Probably the distraction of an overly hot girlfriend

Photo's or it didn't happen!!!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Coach H wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Meh. Whatever. I think Iain's getting over excited. She looks like Steffi Graf to me.

cyklista-frajerka-priatelka-Peter-Sagan-Katarina-Smolkova.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Meh. Whatever. I think Iain's getting over excited. She looks like Steffi Graf to me.

cyklista-frajerka-priatelka-Peter-Sagan-Katarina-Smolkova.jpg

I base my opinion on what someone who's seen her in real life told me.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    I'm keeping Sagan ahead at the minute - but only just and based on quantity rather than quality

Kwiatkowski with only 11 wins but they include a Rainbow Jersey, Amstel Gold and a Strade Bianche

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.ph ... id2=140797
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Is this is a pub conversation!? Sounds like a crap pub.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Didn't the Wiggins discussions conclude it was all about quality not quantity? In which case Kwiatkowski...
    iainf72 wrote:

Looks like it's Sagan not getting the space while Kwiatkowski seems to be able to position himself to still win...
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    In terms of ranking points Sagan will be ahead by a mile because he will end up with tonnes of podiums in the cobbled classics, Tour stage wins and a huge collection of chipper victories.

In terms of the quality of actual wins it will be closer. I'd still edge towards Sagan though simply because he has to win Flanders or Roubaix at some point and he'll probably have well over 10 Tour stage wins.

I prefer Kwia though. He could really blossom (great joke) into something very special.
  • Slightly OT, but who's got the better palmares, Boonen or Cancellara?

Both quality, both quantity, but they've both excelled in different fields outside April
  • RichN95 wrote:
    She looks like Steffi Graf to me.

I don't think she does, but it would be good (for Sagan) if she did. Tennis viewing hasn't been the same since the Feisty Fraulein retired, notwithstanding the physical attributes of Ana Ivanovic.
  • tailwindhome
    Slightly OT, but who's got the better palmares, Boonen or Cancellara?

Both quality, both quantity, but they've both excelled in different fields outside April

Let's go to the stats
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.ph ... id2=140846

Boonen is marginally ahead.

Now, Is there anything in Cancellara's pile that Boonen would want? That Milan San Remo maybe.....but would he swap a Rainbow Jersey for it? Nah. Don't think so.

They both have lot of 'doubles' though