New rear wheel needed....??

maharg22
maharg22 Posts: 50
edited October 2014 in Road general
Had an issue with my rear wheel today, had an awful clicking that got worse as things went on and then a real grinding and grating noise.

Upon checking and with consultation from a seasoned rider we found I had a lot of play on my rear wheel. The result was found to be a rear hub that has possible cones and bearings that have seen better days.

Next step is a visit to my local bike shop to have it rebuilt/replaced.....

But I was thinking about changing for a better set up, Shimano, 8 speed HG, 700C...

I don't have a big pot of money and this will be used on my winter bike, just possibly something better than the stock one that came on the bike...
British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross

Comments

• fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Well, worst case if the hub is goosed, then... You could just replace the hub and have the wheel rebuilt.

Or you can buy a new set of wheels. As ever the limiting factor is you budget.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • May have a look at the Askiums by Mavic, speaking to my local bike shop owner this morning he said 'If Look put them on a £4500 bike then they would be good enough for me on my £850 Bianchi'

At £220 a pair they seem a good price (inc tyres), and the reviews read good too. Will look again on Saturday when I get back from my break away.
    British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
    Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
    Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Shimano R501 tick alot of boxes. Strong, cheap, not very light but for ~£70 ish they're a bit of a steal.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    The £190/1400g ones I got from superstarcomponents have done hundreds of miles by now and are still true with my tyres at 110psi and riding over some pretty rough bits of road at times. They are only 20/24H as well. 8) Also they spin for ages. I was 175lbs when I started riding around on those and I nearly didn't buy them because of my weight, but now I know they can take it.

Its a bit worrying when you can bend the rim towards the brake pad really easily but oh well. :lol:

Those ones I got, Alexrims/Icon Race hubs/Sapim Laser.. I'm not sure if they still do that exact same wheelset.
  • Manc33 wrote:
    The £190/1400g ones I got from superstarcomponents have done hundreds of miles by now and are still true

Is that a lot? I did nearly a thousand miles last month alone
    left the forum March 2023
  • A second vote for the Aksiums. I bought a set a few months ago. because the spokes are flat and there are only 20 in each wheel, they are hugely faster than the 32 spoke chinese crap that was on my bike before. Mind you, they are a lot stiffer than cross spoke wheels.
  • Roux_guy wrote:
    they are hugely faster than the 32 spoke chinese crap that was on my bike before.

What do you think is so good about having 20 spokes, or so bad about having 32 spokes?

(And I'm pretty sure the Aksiums are made in China too?)
    Roux_guy wrote:
    Mind you, they are a lot stiffer than cross spoke wheels.

Are they?