Obscure Bike Maint. - Lessons Learned

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited October 2014 in Road general
Get them in here.

A starter for 10 to get the flavour :-

I usually carry a tube and patches + 1xCO2 + a pump.

Today, knowing I was heading out on a rough route, I put an extra tube in my pocket. Sure enough, 2 x punctures. All going well until I tried to use the pump (having used the gas on the first flat).

I carry a Lezyne Road Drive Mini which has a flex hose neatly screwed into the inside for storage. Having only had one puncture this year and used gas, the pump hasn't been used for a while.

The fecking flex hose end had slightly corroded and jammed itself in the storage position. 20 minutes of trying all sorts to get it out. Just as a kind motorist stopped and was looking for pliers in his boot it finally came free.

Lesson is - a bit of grease or Vaseline on the thread to prevent a similar fiasco!!

Any more for any more???

Comments

• Take 2 C02
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Lesson Learned: That I need to replace my crappy pump that screws the valve top back down when you try and use it. Until on the 15th attempt it somehow magically works.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    frisbee wrote:
    Lesson Learned: That I need to replace my crappy pump that screws the valve top back down when you try and use it. Until on the 15th attempt it somehow magically works.

are you sure it is not just the valve getting stuck? if i press the valve in before attaching the pump it works every time for me.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    With screw-valve operation CO2 triggers - Make sure after you use it, you screw the valve back to closed. OR check it's closed before you come to use it.

I had my first road puncture in yonks on Friday. I carry 1x tube and 1x CO2. I screwed the canister in and instantly discharged it all to atmosphere...............

Clever boy. Nice walk home.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    inner tube valve retaining nut can sieze in place on the bike, rendering spare inners useless.
    Vaseline has a 2nd use.
    Carry leatherman pliers.
  • Peat wrote:
    With screw-valve operation CO2 triggers - Make sure after you use it, you screw the valve back to closed. OR check it's closed before you come to use it.

I had my first road puncture in yonks on Friday. I carry 1x tube and 1x CO2. I screwed the canister in and instantly discharged it all to atmosphere...............

Clever boy. Nice walk home.

had exactly the same experience... Carry 2 tubes and 2 x CO2 for long ish rides... Puncture, first tube on and discharge the canister to nothing, stuck second canister on, blew the tyre up, only to find the 1st spare tube was punctured as well... Put 2nd tube on and punctured it getting it on... :oops:

3 tubes later (including original)...Friend had to ride final 10kms to car whilst I sat on the driveway of a lovely old lady, in the middle of nowhere, who offered mer a cuppa whilst I waited for my mate to return with the car...

Lesson learned was as you say re the canister, and to double check the inside of the tyre as I think that is what punctured both :oops:
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    MichaelW wrote:
    inner tube valve retaining nut can sieze in place on the bike, rendering spare inners useless.
    Vaseline has a 2nd use.
    Carry leatherman pliers.

Don't use the rings, simple.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    For those having trouble with the gas canisters - why not change to a pump? They aren't heavy
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    When using CX Evo tubs, remember that the whole valve unscrews and the extender goes between the tub and the valve. Otherwise you'll spend twenty minutes trying to use the valve as an extender on your non-Vittoria spare, waste all your gas, and wind up looking like a tit. In my defence (feeble) I was tired and had several people watching me and giving 'helpful' advice.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    had exactly the same experience... Carry 2 tubes and 2 x CO2 for long ish rides...
    Always have a manual pump - at least one in the group.
    Carry quick repair patches - for a quid or two for a pack they're worth it.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    had exactly the same experience... Carry 2 tubes and 2 x CO2 for long ish rides...
    Always have a manual pump - at least one in the group.
    Carry quick repair patches - for a quid or two for a pack they're worth it.

I did have a pump as well... Just nothing left to blow up :D
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    Just don't use grease, blow out coming down the Burway Tuesday as like yourself 1st time I've used the pump in ages

and the gas set itself off covered me in white grease (bugger) luckily my riding buddy had is proper man's pump :D using the old fashioned method

Just reminded me to buy a new one
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    rafletcher wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    Vaseline has a 2nd use.
    Carry leatherman pliers.

Don't use the rings, simple.

Put the rings on the inside so you don't tear off the valve when removing the pump, especially if you use Continental tubes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.