Had to happen eventually (spokes!)

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Got the call I'd been expecting for a few months "Dad, the bike's broken, I can't ride it home".

After a little persuasion to try some brute forcing (his description was that the wheel was catching on the reach mech) I got a call a few moments later saying he'd exhausted all options and needed picking up instead of riding home.

Anyway, upshot is it seems that his rear mech caught in the spokes and has bent at least one of them, throwing the wheel out of true and irreparably bending the mech. Mech needed replacing anyway, so that's OK and I think I can manage that.

Spokes, I've never touched. In principle, seems fine - but how do you know what length and size of spoke to buy?

Bike is Spesh Hardrock Disc 2011, spec is here - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec024137 - which shows "2mm" spokes, stainless, 14g. Do I measure the length of the spokes?

Searches like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=2mm+spoke seem to throw up little help, so I turn to my favourite group of experts. Oh, and I've posted on here too :twisted: :lol:

Help, as ever, gratefully received!

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easiest thing, seeing as you've got to put one in, is take one out (from same side) and take it to a shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    Logical! Just spotted it's on the cassette side too though so I'll need a few more tools.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cassette and disc have to come off regardless of which side or you cant feed the new spoke through. A plain guage spoke from an LBS or Halfords shouldn't cost more than a quid.

Remove spoke, measure, go buy, fit, tension to the same as the other spokes (guage this by the noise when you 'twang' them) and the wheel will be close to true.

Check the mech hanger, that may well be bent as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    Cheers - in the interests of expediency, LBS are sorting this out for the princely sum of £10 plus £1 for a spoke. Can't complain.

I've checked the hanger, to the eye it still looks true, but now that I've put the new rear mech on I'll be able to check precise alignment when I get the wheel back on Tuesday. Looks straight for the time being though, thanks for the pointer.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    cooldad wrote:
    Easiest thing, seeing as you've got to put one in, is take one out (from same side) and take it to a shop.
    Last time I did this they were so relieved that I'd taken the spoke in, rather than just asking for a spoke with no idea about size, that they gave me the spoke foc.