Dan Craven

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited June 2016 in Pro race
Nice interview with Craven on The Cycling podcast. His enthusiasm for the sport was an antidote to Wegelius's book which I've just finished.
Who else rides their first WT at 31, and its the Vuelta? He speaks 5 languages and has a degree. Not to mention the beard.
I might just bag him as 'my man' if he's not already been nabbed :lol:

Comments

• mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    It was an excellent interview, very interesting character. Dan's enthusiasm is obvious and it was illuminating to hear him say that at World Tour level he's learning all the time, and to hear about the extent to which his colleagues, including riders on other teams, are helping him. The exposure that intelligent, interesting, mature and articulate riders like Dan and Phil Gaimon get for their sponsors must be worth many more times what their salaries and results might suggest.
  • Yeah interesting man and he finished the Vuelta too. He has a ride because Europcar is a supporter of African riders. He is not getting paid by them though. Wish he would cut that beard!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    Yeah interesting man and he finished the Vuelta too. He has a ride because Europcar is a supporter of African riders. He is not getting paid by them though. Wish he would cut that beard!

He's very open about the fact that his job is to be a mobile billboard and promote the team and the sponsor, and that shaving off his beard would devalue his 'worth' dramatically. He seems to have his head screwed on.
  • Haha, fair enough.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Thorstad:
    ZUPER-13410_zpsfa0ee043.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Is he not being paid by Europcar? How does that work?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    mm1 wrote:
    He brings his own personal sponsor to the team with him - Nedbank. They pay his wages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    RichN95 wrote:
    mm1 wrote:
    He brings his own personal sponsor to the team with him - Nedbank. They pay his wages.

I know he works closely with Nedbank and they sponser some of his other projects but I've never seen it said that they paid his way into Europcar, at least not in so many words. Either way I hope he continues to earn his place.
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,557
    At the Tour de Beauce riding for Cycling Academy in his Namibian national champs jersey...

080937_DSC_2369.jpg

081517_DSC_2405.jpg
  • thchris1958
    thchris1958 Posts: 117
    I'm going to see him Saturday. The stage 4 of Tour de Beauce is a criterium in Quebec City.