The 'I'm calling it now' thread

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited April 2015 in Pro race
It the spirit of an election night special with a Dimbleby I'm ready to call the result of the WC Road Race 2014

Cancellara.

You can all go to bed now.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bouhanni.

Goodnight.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Degenkolb
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Gilbert. Sleep well.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Another hung parliament with the Conservatives again with most seats (just), but too narrow to make a coalition, which Labour get nearer to pulling off bringing us a brief Miliband government, which soon fails.

Hang on, that's not what you asked.

Gerrans (I went for Kristoff on PTP though)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    RichN95 wrote:
    Another hung parliament with the Conservatives again with most seats (just), but too narrow to make a coalition, which Labour get nearer to pulling off bringing us a brief Miliband government, which soon fails.

Hang on, that's not what you asked.

Gerrans (I went for Kristoff on PTP though)

Almost all cyclist suffer split personalities.

E'g After a ride, what you going to eat? that bowl of fruit with low fat yoghurt and a protein bar or f*ck it, it's a bacon and egg sarnie with lashings of ketchup...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd love bohanni to win it, or swift. But I think it will be Gerrans.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Would love Gilbert to win it but think Kristoff could do it.

Don't think I could bear Gerrans or Valverde winning it.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Peter Sagan, didn't have to work too hard in the Vuelta. The course suits him 4200 metres of climbing. Not a strong team, but With the 1.1km climb with 5km to go, a split might form, weave/aero for a sprint win.

Not keen on circuit races, good for local fans but scenically tedious for the worlds spectators.
  • Valverde, what he's lacking in legs he makes up for in brains
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Greg Van Avermaet

but I would like Gallopin to do it somehow
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'm torn between Wheelsucker Valverde or Wheelsucker Gerrans.
  • Horrible feeling Valverde's finally going to get to the top step, but I'd love Degenkolb to win this. Not sure he's recovered enough from his injury, but I can dream that he's saved by his secret weapon...
    ..."Whispy 'Tache Power"
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Hoping Cancellara but thinking it might be Van Avermaet (or other one-day classic guys). Sagan might come out, hoping Gerrans doesn't.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    EBH. When you least expect it!

Hope its not Gerrans, but he's probably favourite. Valverde? Meh. Plenty I'd be happy to see win though (Cancellara, Kwiatkowski, Dan Martin, Degenkolb, Kristoff, Swift, any of the Belgians) just hope its a good race. Have a feeling Italy / Spain will make it hard early doors.
  • Cancellara to lead it out and come third. Probably behind Gerrans and Bouhanni.
  • Swifty all the way! :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Froome. Just to pee on Wiggins biscuit.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    iainf72 wrote:
    Froome. Just to pee on Wiggins biscuit.

I would love it if Froome could win it. Can you imagine the meltdown certain people would have?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Currently forecasting rain for this - maybe one to reignite the Froome can he / can't he handle a bike debate...
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • It's going to be one of those where it will be about who goes out the back rather than who attacks. Then come down to a sprint between about 30, which Gerrans has been supreme at this year
  • It's going to be one of those where it will be about who goes out the back rather than who attacks. Then come down to a sprint between about 30, which Gerrans has been supreme at this year

Tomorrow's U23 race will be a good tester so reserving PTP judgement till then. The 4000+m of climbing that got people thinking this was a climber's course turn out to be repeated efforts up draggy inclines on smooth roads. Some of the teams are too strong to enable a small break and Australia look to have the best team by far for this sort of racing. I reckon Gerrans will have a sprint train for the finish but Bouhanni will pip him.
  • Wondering why gerrans is so strongly favoured over sprinters that can get over the climbs ie Sagan, Degenkolb, kristoff and bouhanni. Gerrans has better form and a stronger team, but all those 4 would beat gerrans in the sprint and I think the Aussies will struggle to make it hard enough to eliminate those riders without setting it up for valverde or others. A tricky balancing act...
  • EBH! The stripes will be great for MTN.

He's then going to win RVV to bag MTN's second monument!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • This looks like one for a sprinter who can survive a long hard race - I don't know what form he's in but Kristoff has proved he can climb well for a sprinter and I'd have him as good as anyone likely to be there at the finish so he seems as good a pick as any.

If it's a small group I think someone will attack with a k or two to go and win it solo with Valverde winning the sprint for second after sitting on the back and claim that's a good result for him.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Europe 15.5 USA 12.5

Oh, you're watching cycling. Good for you.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    RichN95 wrote:
    Europe 15.5 USA 12.5

Oh, you're watching cycling. Good for you.

We thrashed 'em...hee hee hee. :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Wiggins will DNF Paris Roubaix
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Wet Roubaix.
  • JackTar
    JackTar Posts: 77
    Wiggins will DNF Paris Roubaix
    Leaving Yogi to slowly drop all other contenders on the wet cobbles until it is just him and Cancellara where learning from previous PR's he goes the right way round the velodrome beating Spartacus in a sprint in the pouring rain *wakes up*
  • Proper grimey Roubaix, that splits up before Troisvilles