Cube Reaction GTC SL 27.5

WindyG
WindyG Posts: 1,099
edited November 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago after getting a nice discount, this will be my go to XC race bike.
Full spec below the pics
cube3.JPG

cube2.JPG

cube03.JPG

Standard Spec:
Frame: GTC Twin Mold Monocoque Technology, 27.5
Forks :Fox 32 Float CTD FIT, QR15, 100mm
Chainset: Shimano XT, FC-M782, 40x30x22T
Brake/Shift Levers:Shimano XT SL-M780 I-Spec
Front Derailleur:Shimano XT FD-M781, Direct Mount
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M781-SGS, Shadow 10-speed
Wheels:DT CSW MA 1.9, QR15/QR, 19.5mm rim Straightpull, 28/32 spokes
Tyres: Schwalbe Rocket Ron/Ralph Kevlar Triple Compound 2.25
Front Brake:Shimano Deore XT K-M7851, 180mm
Rear Brake:Shimano Deore XT K-M7851,160mm
Handlebars:CUBE Race Flat Bar Pro, 720 mm
Grips: CUBE Race Grip, 1-Clamp
Headset: FSA Orbit I-t-R integrated, top 1 1/8", bottom 1 1/2
Stem: Syntace F149, 31,8
Saddle:Selle Italia X1
Seatpost:RFR Prolight, 31.6mm
Seatclamp: RFR Varioclose 34.9mm

So far changes from standard:
Rear Skewer
Ritchey WCS Foam Grips
Easton EC70 carbon flat bar
160mm front rotor
Superstar 34t Narrowwide chainring plus shorter bolts
Added Shimano M540 pedals
Changed to tubeless
Only other bits needed are a lighter rear rotor and carbon seatpost.

It is an absolute dream to ride, the frame is really stiff and for me this is perfect, it climbs with ease, is as nimble as a 26" in the single track but does give the extra speed gains on the fast flat sections.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks tasty...... If you can then a 1x conversion will save you a chunk of weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Looks like it's already 1x from the pics
  • WindyG
    Yep already 1x10, it was the first thing I did :-) it weighs about 9.9kg at the moment, I'll change the wheels at some point which will shed a fair chunk off it. Did 30 miles this morning and it was surprising quick in places even though it didn't feel it at the time. The saddle has to go as it's a little too narrow for me, the only other thing I have needed to do is adjust my riding position a little bit on descents compared to my other bikes.
  • WindyG
    Just a couple of updates, changed the saddle, the Selle X1 was too narrow for me so I had a spare Madison Flux which is much nicer for me. Lighter rear rotor fitted, only weighs 67g and a lighter KCNC Scandium post 180g. Might change the wheels at some point next year but other than that it's done.

cube5.JPG

cube7.JPG
  • qooqiiu
    qooqiiu Posts: 212
    Nice simple colour scheme. Like it.
  • WindyG
    Cheers, for a Cube it is quite a simple colour scheme, other than the blue chainring bolts and rear skewer I won't be adding loads of bling, this was bought to race on.
    Got a real taste of how well it would climb yesterday at a race at Langdon Hills which it quite relentless, won't say it was easy :-) but this bike made it easier, also soaks up the flat bumpy grass much better than expected maybe not as quick as a 29'er would but it makes up for that in the technical sections.
    Last 2 races riding this have rewarded me with my best results.
  • Tarqy
    Tarqy Posts: 14
    Very nice, Really like the colours.

Had a look for one myself but no stock of the 2014 model in my size so I've got the 2015 model on order, should be one of the first out from the factory next month! I think its pretty much the same spec but with remote lockout.
    2015 Cube Reaction GTC SL 27.5
  • WindyG
    I just grabbed one of the last 2 size small ones left. The only difference with 2015 models are the wheels and like you said the remote, I might add a remote later if I feel I need one.
    You will totally love it.
  • I Windy
    I just bought this bike in France, and i want to convert in 1x11.
    Today the chainset is the Shimano XT, FC-M782, 40x30x22T, can you tell me how you switched your chainrings ?
    you installed the http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm
    instead of the 30T chainring ?
    is it a 104 BCD standard and do you think that this product will be ok : http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/collections/chainrings/products/104-bcd-chainrings

Thanks for your help !
  • WindyG
    Are you sure you mean 1x11? you are going to need a new cassette and shifter to do that.
    You will need to check that your M782 crankset is 104bcd I might be wrong but I thought they were all 96bcd mine was so I swapped it for an M780. You can get 96bcd NW chainrings but they are more expensive and harder to get hold of US only I think. But if you have 104bcd or get it sorted that Wolftooth will work fine.
    Basically you remove all 3 chainrings, the new NW ring goes on the inside of the middle tabs using shorter chainring bolts, you may also want to remove a couple of chain links.
  • Yes, i have the cassette and shifter in xx1.
    a ok, you swapped your M782 to a M780, i understand ...
    Woolftooth answered me that it is impossible to adapt one of their chainrings to a 782 ...
    I check and mine is in 96/64. I found this : http://absoluteblack.cc/xx1-style-shimano.html but only 30T in 64 ... And i want a 34T. grrrrrr
  • Really like that rear caliper mount. Very sleek.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • WindyG
    Really like that rear caliper mount. Very sleek.

So do I, keeps it protected from damage and dirt, can't drop to a 140mm rotor though which I would have done.
  • WindyG
    guimev wrote:
    Yes, i have the cassette and shifter in xx1.
    a ok, you swapped your M782 to a M780, i understand ...
    Woolftooth answered me that it is impossible to adapt one of their chainrings to a 782 ...
    I check and mine is in 96/64. I found this : http://absoluteblack.cc/xx1-style-shimano.html but only 30T in 64 ... And i want a 34T. grrrrrr

Blackspire were the only company I found that do a 96bcd but it was never in stock.
    If you want a 34T 104bcd you have loads of options, RaceFace, Superstar, Blackspire, Works Components, Wolftooth.
    I wouldn't go fitting a NW ring in place of the granny ring as you will end up with a bad chain line.
    Best option is to buy a M780 and sell the 782