Best GPS for off road.

Jfb1974
Jfb1974 Posts: 7
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi - I would love to hear from someone who uses a GPS device for off road mountain biking. I'm often out on a track and then see another one go off in another direction. It's frustrating when you follow it, and it turns into a dead end. What I'm looking for is something with OS mapping that is easy to use whilst riding. Something that I can quickly scroll the map to see where a track ends, and maybe set a waypoint. I'm looking at the Edge 810 but wondered how good it is in real life conditions. I've heard the GPS can let you down in heavily wooded areas? Also, what maps are more practical - OS 1:50 000 or OS 1:25 000? Many thanks.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Edge 1000. You'll have to get OS maps separately though. 1:50k can be had for £20 for the whole UK, but actually (having bought them) I think the OSM maps you get as standard are easier to use.

1:25k is far more accurate, but AFAIK only available for parts of the UK (national parks), and ludicrously expensive.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    I use an old Garmin Edge 705 with free OSM maps from this site - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download

It works fine on the 705 as long as you haven't got the detail set too high, and I'd imagine it would be excellent on a newer, faster device.
  • njee20
    I've just changed from the Edge 705 to the 1000, it's not exactly life changing, but the 1000 is a far nicer device to use, and the screen resolution is vastly superior.
  • Not OS mapping but free(ish), ie donate if you can!
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/down ... 00810.html
    follow these instructions.
    Not every track is on there but 99% plus are combined with RidewithGPS I find it has really enhanced my rides, far less time wasted, more trails found!
  • I think I'm going to go for the Edge 810 trail bundle (comes with OS 1:50,000 mapping) for around £350. The Edge 1000 is a lot more expensive, and then you would have to buy the OS maps separately.
  • njee20
    You can get the OS maps for £20, so that's not the end of the world, I wouldn't bother though frankly, I'm unimpressed with them. OSM maps are better in use IMO. The OS look pretty on the screen, but the 1:50k are too 'big' to be much use, and they're not very accurate - far less so than the OSMs.

IMO for £45 extra (and there'll be discount codes available to get it down) you'd be mad not to buy this.
  • Physically handled about 7 different sets if grips today.....none of them float my boat !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cube1961 wrote:
    Physically handled about 7 different sets if grips today.....none of them float my boat !
    GPS grips?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Being in NI limits map availability but I'm using openmtbmap on an edge 800. Has just enough detail for my local riding to be acceptable and the edge800 has been bulletproof inc torrential rain soakings,mudbaths and it flew about 15ft one day (tbh I was also flying during a stylish dismount and it passed me!)

Although I know my way around by now
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • So where can you get the 1:50 000 OS maps for £20?!
  • J273
    J273 Posts: 382
    Is it possible to have different map sources on the SD card and choose between them on the device?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,009
    Jfb1974 wrote:
    So where can you get the 1:50 000 OS maps for £20?!

Per tile?
  • njee20
    Nope, whole GB for £20. I imagine they're not entirely legit, but delivery was very quick and they work perfectly. Well... as above, they don't, but that's no different if you pay £200 for them.
  • Thanks for the advice. I think I will need to take a look at the two. Edge 1000 looks good, but not sure it is worth the extra money over the 810.
  • njee20
    A couple of friends have gone from 800s to 1000s and think they're far better, personally for £50 or so I'd definitely get the 1000.
  • J273 wrote:
    Is it possible to have different map sources on the SD card and choose between them on the device?

Yes you can put as many maps on the card as it will hold.
    To enable or disable them use the tool icon, system, map, map information select map.

This gives you the option to enable/disable maps. Having multiple maps enabled slows down redrawing of the map screen.

8465450090_e56f6136bf_o.jpg