Help: Boardman HT Comp 650b, Sell Or Keep?

Cody
Cody Posts: 565
edited April 2015 in The Crudcatcher
Hi everyone, just need some advice. I purchased a Boardman Comp HT 650b from Halfords on 28th August 2014 for £590 and spent £75 on a service plan and accessories from eBay like a Madison Flux bike saddle, Kryptonite Bike Lock and Mudguards. Now I have only ridden it I'd say approximately 3-4 times since I've had it, and I've had a week off work and not done much except relax but not gone anywhere near the bike once except yesterday on Saturday I rode it round the block and put it back in the garage and once during the week on a Thursday I took it to town to Halfords to get the gears checked out and rode it back home. I found that I don't really have much time for it except on weekends because I work 5 days during the week till 6pm and after work I don't ride it. I was just wondering if I should sell it, would now be a good time to try to get my money back on it or shall I wait till Spring/Summer next year come 2015 and then try or will it have reduced further in price by then. I'm looking to get around £550-600 for it, it's in immaculate condition except the tyres have dry mud on them as I rode it through a local forest on first day and the chain has been lubed. So really it's only a month old, and still new. I have with it a full years worth of service, with receipts and a service manual that came with the bike. I bought the bike so I could start riding on the Leeds canal all way to Leeds which is a 13/14 mile trek but just have never got round to it. I have another week off work in December I guess I could give it a go then but the only reason I bought the bike was so I could get in to riding more often but during the cold months it will only be on the weekend and during summer it will be some occasional evenings but mostly weekends. Should I wait and not sell it or should I sell to avoid losing more money or should I just keep it? I had a bike before and had more time then to ride I use to ride more or less everyday but now I don't.

Please advise, thanks.

Comments

• Only you can decide. There's no way you're going to get over £500 for it though, probably less than that. Even if it looks like it's never been used, it's like a car in that as soon as it's out of the shop the value plummets.
    We all work 5 days a week but find time around that to ride. I commute 34 miles a day (10 minutes longer than driving each way) and I get out early on a Saturday or Sunday before the wife and kids are up as well as the odd day away. If you really want to ride you will find time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Obviously the ideal number of bikes is N+1, so you should buy another one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cody
    Only you can decide. There's no way you're going to get over £500 for it though, probably less than that. Even if it looks like it's never been used, it's like a car in that as soon as it's out of the shop the value plummets.
    We all work 5 days a week but find time around that to ride. I commute 34 miles a day (10 minutes longer than driving each way) and I get out early on a Saturday or Sunday before the wife and kids are up as well as the odd day away. If you really want to ride you will find time.

That's some good advice. Hopefully it should help me decide to keep it if I change my mind. I don't plan on selling it just yet or going out on long rides just yet, need to build up pedal power and that will take some time, at least 1 hours worth of riding a week before I can attempt the canal ride I mentioned in my above post. I wouldn't want to sell it if I knew I was going to get less than £500 for it, might be worth it for some looking for a hot bargain but not worth it for me in my opinion, making too much of a loss. I guess I could get up early on a Sat/Sun to attempt the canal ride which as I've mentioned is a 13/14 mile trek, but I wouldn't be cycling it back, will be catching the train back. It's quite a therapeutic ride but has been a hotspot for bike thieves as well in the past couple of years, so I'll need to be aware of that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Keep it - you won't get 400 for it I'm afraid.
  • A 13 mile canal ride should be pretty easy even for an unfit rider. My daughter used to manage similar distances at six years old. Flat, smooth miles pass with little effort.
  • Sell if you are not going to ride it but dont expect to get a fortune for it however "like new" it is.

But......why wouldnt you go out and ride it? The shocking news that you work 5 days a week will bring tears to the eyes of everyone else here who probably do the same thing. Riding a bike is about making the time to do it because it enriches your life not not having the time because life is too hectic.

Ride to work, ride at the weekends, get some lights and ride at night. You have a sound bike that is over and above what you needed for what you were intending to do (canal paths) so go to it. And dont ride to Leeds and get the train back - ride half way then ride back, ride a bit further next time and ride back until you can ride there and back - you will be surprised how quickly you can build up a good distance.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To sum up really, get off your ass and ride..... I'm 48 and not that fit and did a nice steady 50miler yesterday......left early, back early enough to have a big chunk of day left. If you want to find the time, you will, if you don't, you won't.

Not worth selling in a hurry, it won't lose any more value in the next 12 months.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I work 5 days a week and have 2 young kids and a disabled wife.
    I get out on a Tuesday night with a group of guy's on Cannock Chase - if it's dark we use lights.
    I also get up before early (7am'ish) on a Sunday and go out for a couple of hours - when I get back the rest of the house is up.

Did the Peak District MTB challenge last Saturday too - up at 06:00 and back by 15:00 - still time to spend with the kids and get stuff done.

If you want to make the time you can - it's just a case of motivation.
  • Cody
    Thanks Supersonic, Rockmonkey sc, Paul skibum, the Rookie, Dirkpitt 74.

I'd just like to say, the above advice is really appreciated. The more the better, helps me with making decisions and really puts things in to perspective. I use to ride at night a couple of times when I was living away from home for a couple of months but without lights, and mainly on pavements and not on roads. But back then I felt as though I had to do it because I didn't have a car, and I had a rucksack in which I use to wear on my journeys to Leeds and local town centre and put shopping in and cycle all way home. But the fact that I stopped going to Leeds was because I became a little ill after losing far to much weight in less/little time. But now I have a car, I don't really use it. I just go to work 5 days and car is either parked up during the day or younger brother takes it to work at 4pm in evening and comes back at 10-12 at night. I'm putting on weight aswell sitting in the office, I don't eat much, just a salad sandwhich and lots of water and a small evening meal. So when I just come home I have a wash and prepare myself for my evening prayers and then have a cup of tea and sit and talk to my dad afterwards. But I don't go cycling in evenings, I don't have any lights I can't afford any at the moment or even a pair of cycling shorts. Well I can but I just think do I need 3/4 quarter MTB shorts or can I just get away with jogging bottoms for the duration of the winter and then buy a pair of MTB shorts in spring or should I just buy a pair? Well actually I can afford to buy the lights I just feel as though they're too expensive for a good set of lights. I've seen some on ebay for £35-40 and their called Lezyne the small ones, macro I think but I don't know whats a good price to pay. I have time in the mornings I don't start work till 11am. So if I can maybe start a routine to either go jogging in the mornings or cycling I will do. I only weigh 12 stones, 79 kgs, so with a bit of exercise during the week I'm hoping to shed a lot of weight maybe to 11 stone or slightly less, but unsure wether to eat more meals to lose weight, but fact is, I don't like eating a lot and excessive eating is against my religious beliefs. Plus I can't do much after I've eaten I feel lazy. But I'll have to develop some sort of routine if I want to get in to biking but for now it will have to be on weekends only until I get some energy. Anyway, much appreciated for the advice. Any further advice would be appreciated.
  • For lights you don't need to spend a fortune.
    Get one of these:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=251364426698

Will be plenty bright enough and should be good for about 3 hours on low output (which is still plenty bright enough).
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you want to get a routine for exercise then cycling to work is a great way to do it. Once you're fit you will be surprised how little extra time it takes over driving. My commute is 17 miles but only takes 10 minutes longer to cycle than drive. On the way home its 3 miles of climbing to get out of the city yet I still beat my colleagues who drive out of the city, they usually pass me at around 12 miles.
    Commuting by bike also saves you a fortune in fuel and car servicing and tyres etc.
  • Cody
    Thanks dirkpitt, yh I'll probs have to keep recharging them all the time, I want something ideally which will last me more than 3 hours. but it looks decent. I've saved it in my watch list.

Thanks rockmonkey sc. My commute to work is only 15 mins walk there and back from where I live, so it's no use me taking bike to work, wish I could though if distance was only longer. It's been a month now since I've had the bike, a month and 2 weeks today, my bike was due in for a 6 week service today but I've only done 2 mile on it so far, so they at Halfords said it doesn't need a service, and because I've got a bike care plan for £30 they said I can bring it in anytime over the next few months and they'll give it a quick run over and service it but they said any parts needed in the service would have to be at extra cost.

I've got a pretty good motor which doesn't cost me much to run. It's a Toyota Corolla last of old shape, before the Auris came out. My road tax costs me about £175 for the year, cars due a service at 76,000 miles in January 2015 which will set me at £80 and needs an oil change so looking at extra £30 and possibly new brake pads around £75. Petrol I only put about £20 in every week, my brother does short journeys on it 5-6 times a week to work and back which is around 25 mins in car there and back. So, I'm more of a bike person than driving a car, all I do is clean and wash it and wax it every 2 weeks but younger brother drives it all the time lol

I'm popping down to SportsDirect tomorrow to get meself a pair of tracksuit bottoms for commuting in cold weather. I know I know I haven't started yet but I know once I do I will ride a lot then. Only might pay a tenner for them if I can find a pretty cheap pair. I didn't go for the 3/4 MTB Enduro shorts, thought because it's winter is there really a point in buying them, my legs will freeze.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You don't have to commute the direct route to work. Take a few extra miles.
    The direct route for me is 16 miles but I ride 17 miles there and 21 miles home because I want to ride nicer routes
  • Cody
    You don't have to commute the direct route to work. Take a few extra miles.
    The direct route for me is 16 miles but I ride 17 miles there and 21 miles home because I want to ride nicer routes

Yh, my work place doesn't have showers to get rid of sweat and odour from cycling, so it's a no go. Besides it's 15 mins walk so it's a form of exercise for me. Plus I'm going back to eating minimal again, I'm trying to be a minimalist, living simple, simple food and valuing the most of what I have in my life and getting rid of things I don't need. I think between 1-2 meals a day is sufficient for me and when I start cycling on weekends and running in mornings I will feel a lot better. I'm putting too much weight on.

I noticed you're an admin, do you have any advice on what to wear during cold days, under a karrimor running jacket or a regatta fleece. I got a yellow running jacket cos I can't afford a cycling one, cost me £8.00 from SportsDirect.
    I was wanting to wear some sort of a long sleeve loose fit t-shirt under a thin fleece or cycling jacket. What kind of fleeces do cyclists wear for long distance? I don't want anything too flimsy or tight, something baggy and loose. and casual.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Dude, you're just making excuses. Sell the bike to someone who will use it as it should be.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you've had the bike for six weeks, and only ridden two miles, I'm inclined to agree with RM.
    Much as it pains me to agree with him about anything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cody
    People, to be honest, I am going to start riding, it's not a matter of how and where, it's when!
    I'm trying to find the right routine for myself. I tend to wake up quite late in mornings around 9/10am for work and finish at 6pm. It gets dark early so I'm just wondering, would it be better to ride mornings or late evenings. Plus I don't have the right kind of gear to ride in this weather. I don't have lights, don't have a thin fleece, don't have a pair of tracksuit bottoms but I do have a yellow jacket. Got some running gloves in yellow high visibility ones by karrimor but might need to get some MTB ones instead. I don't know where to get cycling clothing from cheap. I always thought ebay was best place but might need to shop around.

I guess it's a little harder when you're pre-occupied at work as you get older, but like you lot have said above it's about finding the time and making the effort.

I wish I waited till Spring 2015 and then got a bike. Spent £650 and ridden it 2 times!

I will do it, don't you worry, just a little motivation and enthusiasm needed :)
  • Just get out and ride. Your over thinking every single aspect of it. Try things out for yourself, make mistakes. It's all part of the journey.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Drag your sorry ass out of bed at a normal time and get out for a ride. I have finished my 17 mile commute by 7:30.
    Early in the morning is a great time to ride, everywhere is nice and quiet and if you're out of the city there's still lots of wildlife out. Nice to clear your head before work.
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    You don't need any cycle specific gear to get on a bike. I used to commute in work trousers and used a £2 yellow reflective slap band as a trouser clip.

Plenty of people use a pound shop hi viz tabbard over a fleece/coat/christmas jumper so don't worry about that, a zip is handy for some ventilation as you're sure to get the layering wrong to begin with. Nothing wrong with jogging bottoms at all but make sure they aren't the baggy flappy style or you get them caught in the cogs/chain.

Gloves with some grippiness on the palm is better than normal gloves but not a requirement.

My commute was 4 miles each way and I took it easy on the way in so I didn't break a sweat, I pushed it hard on the way home. Why don't you take the 5 minute bike ride to work and the long way home? Look at bikehike.com click on course creator and OSMcycle and see if you can find a few nice routes home, week 1 may hurt, by week 4 you'll be flying.

The lights mentioned above are the ones I have. Full power burns for about 2 hours and are amazingly bright. You can't go bright and burn a long time without a massive heavy battery. Plenty enough power for a ride through some trails if you have some on your route home.

Don't worry about the fitness side of things, flat riding isn't tough at all and that canal path should be an easy target within a month of riding. I've just got the better half back on a bike having not been on one for 20 years after being hit by a car. She just did 10 miles off road up and down Wendover hills. You could easily get to Leeds and back by the end of the year.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If he wanted to ride he would. He's just looking for excuses not to.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Cody wrote:
    People, to be honest, I am going to start riding, it's not a matter of how and where, it's when!
    I'm trying to find the right routine for myself. I tend to wake up quite late in mornings around 9/10am for work and finish at 6pm.

you get up at 9/10 am for work but have no time to ride? I start work at 7am with a 40 min commute and still occasionally go for a quick ride before work :?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    If he wanted to ride he would. He's just looking for excuses not to.

yeah, I think I have to agree with you there mate
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited October 2014
    Cody wrote:
    I tend to wake up quite late in mornings around 9/10am for work...

Seriously? Everything you need to know about your 'problem' is contained in the above quote.

I work 12 to 14 hour days, 5 or 6 days a week as well as looking after my daughter (mum works away), plus, over the course of the last year I've also found time to write two film scripts, write an album's worth of music and paint three portraits. And I still find time to ride every single day that the weather is with me (and it has to be pretty bad to be against me).

Rockmonkey is right, you're making excuses. If you really wanted to ride, you would. It's just a bike ride, not the battle of the Somme.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Dude, it's a bike ride not a fashion contest - just wear something comfortable and if night wear a hi-vis.

If you WANT to ride you'll find/make the time.

Get up an hour earlier and go for a 30 minute ride if you don't want to ride to/from work just yet.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Ask yourself, what would Jesus do?

I think he would sell it to someone who will use it

(Replace Jesus with relevant person relating to your religion of choice if necessary)
  • Angus Young
    Ask yourself, what would Jesus do?

He'd turn it into loaves and fishes so we could all have a slap up fish supper.
  • rockmonkeysc
    He can turn a bicycle in to a tuna sandwich?
  • Angus Young
    Top tip for recovery after a hard ride.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not with the amount of horse poop on my local trails.
This discussion has been closed.