Code R Caliper Leaking

bedesv
bedesv Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I think my front Code R Caliper is leaking. Whenever I inspect my brake pads and front caliper they are always covered in brake fluid. I use my weed burner to get the fluid off and they don't squeak for a while but whenever I go to use by bike again they are squeaking like crazy. I tried taking apart and then reassembling my caliper but that didn't do anything. What can I do to fix this?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need to find the leak source first, is it at the hose connection or one of the pistons seals or at the calliper split line (if that calliper has one) what did you replace when you took it apart?

That won't clean the pads by the way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I think it is one of the piston seals, when I took it apart I just inspected everything and then put it back together.

As for the weed burner, brake fluid is flammable so when you use a weed burner or something similar there is a lot of smoke and eventually it stops and then you sand it and it stops squeaking. The problem is that the squeak keeps coming back and the pads are covered in brake fluid.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    How old are the brakes? I'd be looking at getting them repaired/replaced under warranty if I could.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could burn off the brake fluid on or close to the surface and then the fluid absorbed further in migrate back out, though you need to fix the leak first, clean it all up then put a piece of toile roll at each suspect place and squeeze the lever progressively until you see on of the pieces is damp then you'll know where the leak is.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81 wrote:
    How old are the brakes? I'd be looking at getting them repaired/replaced under warranty if I could.
    I got them second hand so I don't have the receipts or anything.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    You could burn off the brake fluid on or close to the surface and then the fluid absorbed further in migrate back out, though you need to fix the leak first, clean it all up then put a piece of toile roll at each suspect place and squeeze the lever progressively until you see on of the pieces is damp then you'll know where the leak is.

I have done that, somehow it decided that it is no longer leaking since the caliper overhaul, even though it was still leaking after that. In other words, it is now fine.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er so your thread title should be 'Code R Calliper Not Leaking'?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools