Evans/Trek delays

mushroom_picker
mushroom_picker Posts: 20
edited September 2014 in Road general
As a 50th birthday present to myself, I recently ordered a Trek Domane 4.5 disc from Evans via my employer's cycle to work scheme. My size was apparently going to be in stock within a week or 2. I got an e-mail and phone call a few days later to say it would be a couple of days late - no big deal. But the day after it was due in to Evans' warehouse, I received an automated (though polite and slightly apologetic) e-mail to say that there were issues with the supplier and the bike would be delayed until 24 November - 2 whole months! No offer to cancel the order, or to order something else instead.

I do have other bikes to ride in the meantime, but I have to say I am very disappointed with the customer service. A delay of 2 whole months on a £2,300 purchase, dealt with by an automated e-mail just isn't acceptable.

I'm tied into Evans due to the cycle to work scheme - unless I want to give up on the tax break. What are other people's experiences?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Was it Evans or Trek? Trek might have been spinning Evans about model/size availability - it's quite common with new model years. Phone other Trek dealers to check on their availability to try and see who is at fault?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It more likely to be Trek as Evans will be one of their biggest retailers in the UK and likely get priority on orders.
  • Is the issue with the fact it is delayed, that you didn't get an offer to cancel the order or the fact it was a basic email which came back?
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Do you get to change order when it's through c2w?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Gozzy wrote:
    Do you get to change order when it's through c2w?

I did, my LoC was for a value of £1k but the shop did a £1100 bike for £1000. Once the bike was in store and I'd collected it then the paperwork was finalised.
    With regards the delay with the bike I was chatting to the owner of the LBS where I got my C2W bike and he said there were issues with 2015 bikes from Trek, he ordered 8 bikes from the 7.0 FX range and got 2 of them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I would imagine that the fault will lie with Trek and be completely beyond the control of Evans.

Stuff like this happens every year when it's time for the new models to be released. Release dates are notorious for being unreliable. At least Evans made you aware, albeit via an email. Still, at least you've had a moan now and got it off your chest.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, had a moan, got it off his chest, and buggered off from his own thread it seems.

I wonder how long he will take to answer the questions people have asked him, on his thread, about his moan?
    If its longer than 48 hours it just isn't acceptable lol.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Yep, just another moaner.
    No offer to cancel the order, or to order something else instead.

I don't understand why this would cause you to be upset. If you want to cancel the order, then cancel it. If you want to order something else instead, then order something else. They've kept you informed about the delays so make a decision. It's not rocket science.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I've lost my faith in Trek somewhat after a similar experience.

I decided to buy a new MTB this year and saw no reason not to continue support my local LBS, a Trek dealer. Good bikes afterall.

Anyway, they couldn't get the bike I wanted so was talked into going for the model up. I didn't need alot of convincing tbh...

However, the wait for that was going to be 3 weeks. It seemed like an eternity at the time, but I was willing to wait. I came back from a work trip excited to pick up my new bike, went into the shop and it wasn't there. They checked their system "Oh yeah, it was meant to be here at the end of last week. Hang on a minute." They phoned the distributor and I was told they'd have it by the end of the week.

The following week comes, I phone to check if it's ready. They still didn't have it. They phoned Trek again and were told it would be another 7 weeks.

I cancelled the order and went and ordered a Scott. I was riding it the next day. Easy peasy.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Not always the fault of the distributor/brand. Check around, if others can get the bike you want it probably means the dealer has run out of credit to the point they'll no longer be supplied unless bills are paid. Can happen to the biggest of them.